spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kyphos
join:2014-03-26
Ottawa, ON

kyphos

Internet connection through the VIP2502 wireless receiver

I just had Fibe TV + Internet installed (with FTTH). Out of curiosity, I connected my laptop to the RJ45 jack on the back of the VIP2502 wireless receiver which is upstairs in the bedroom. There are some postings here indicating that doing so will impact the quality of the IPTV signal being delivered wirelessly to the 2502 over the FibeTVxxx WiFi network.

It worked just fine. The laptop obtained a 192.168.2.x IP address lease from the DHCP server in the Sagem router (in the basement), and was instantly on the internet. Speedtest.net measured 53 Mbps download, and this was with an HD channel being displayed on my bedroom TV. No pixelation or other degradation was observed. It appears that I could connect a Roku or AppleTV (or other internet device) to the ethernet jack on the back of the 2502 with no issues.

I was concerned that the VAP2500 access point in the basement might not provide adequate coverage to the 2nd floor bedroom, but it seems just fine. For those interested in such details, the 2500 is running with 40MHz bandwidth on channels 108 and 112. The Sagem must have auto-channel selected for the 5GHz radio - I've seen it operating on the lower channels (52 & 56) a couple of times, but it usually appears on 108/112. The VAP2500 is a 4-stream radio, with maximum data rate of 600 Mbps.

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin

Premium Member

It does not cause any problem, as you do not use a torrent or resource that monopolizes bandwidth.
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

taraf

I wouldn't expect tech support to be thrilled at the configuration, if you're running it like that, though....

TilhasBB
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
canada

TilhasBB to kyphos

Premium Member

to kyphos
How did you figure out the password to connect to the VIP2502??

Martin
Premium Member
join:2005-05-05
Blainville, QC

Martin

Premium Member

said by TilhasBB:

How did you figure out the password to connect to the VIP2502??

No password, just plug Ethernet cable behind the VIP2502 receiver, not the VAP2500.
kyphos
join:2014-03-26
Ottawa, ON

kyphos

said by Martin:

No password, just plug Ethernet cable behind the VIP2502 receiver, not the VAP2500.

Martin is correct. As I said in my initial post, I just plugged my laptop into the RJ45 on the back of the 2502 receiver, and presto the laptop was on the internet. In my testing, I've seen no degradation of the video quality, even with full-speed (50 Mbps) download running simultaneously. I need to do some more testing (file transfers to/from my local NAS), but the wireless link provided by the VAP2500 seems pretty robust in my environment.

This is all somewhat academic. My intention is to simply set up an AppleTV next to the 2502 so we can get Netflix, etc on the bedroom TV.