Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia

Re: [Game] H1Z1 MMO

said by Adalicia:

Point in case? Transistor. Gorgeous game, brilliant art design, absolutely stunning.

The difference here is that Transistor (and Bastion before it) has deliberate art design. H1Z1 may have tried to focus on realism but did it so poorly, that they're basically going to lose the rest of their investment.

Short of this becoming a cult hit for some reason or another, I don't think this horse is going to leave the stable.
said by Adalicia:

I think going with a different aesthetic and not focusing on realism would have given them something that would have stood out.

I agree with your statement, but, good design (graphically intensive or otherwise) is a lot to ask of a company where most decisions go from the boardroom to the art director and not the other way around.

In a nutshell, H1Z1 is exactly what I expect from SOE.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by El Quintron:

The difference here is that Transistor (and Bastion before it) has deliberate art design. H1Z1 may have tried to focus on realism but did it so poorly, that they're basically going to lose the rest of their investment.

Well, I believe I was making that statement. Good art design is always to a games benefit.

Windwaker is another example. And that was with everyone shitting their pants about it because they hated out it looked and now Windwaker is consider a classic, both visually due to the decision to use very stylized cell shading and because it was just a good game.

The Sly Cooper series also pops to mind.
said by El Quintron:

I agree with your statement, but, good design (graphically intensive or otherwise) is a lot to ask of a company where most decisions go from the boardroom to the art director and not the other way around.

In a nutshell, H1Z1 is exactly what I expect from SOE

The thing is, and the point I'm trying to make, a game does not have to set a new visual bar to be fun or enjoyable. I haven't played H1Z1, I have little desire to (because I don't particularly enjoy games of this style), and for all intents and purposes it could be total hot garbage. But I don't think instantly writing a game off because the visuals are unappealing is fair.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to shinjuru

to shinjuru
I actually really want to try this game out because I've become so disenchanted with DayZ SA progress. However, I'm not sure why I'd pay $20 to get in on a half finished product when the finished product is supposedly going to be free to play. I'm still confused by that.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

Frankie!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Zq2psXcg

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

...that is actually a good sign. Don't have time to watch the video but what are his thoughts on it?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

The thing is, and the point I'm trying to make, a game does not have to set a new visual bar to be fun or enjoyable.

It doesn't but that doesn't excuse H1Z1's lack of artistic direction.

I love Borderlands, from the first game onwards. Do they raise any type of graphic standard? Absolutely not, but the graphic style works with the game world they created.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I'm kind of tempted to get this out of pure boredom. I'm at home recovering from surgery for at least the next couple of weeks and wouldn't mind trying something new out to fill some of the time. I've been playing my backlog and some PoE but nothing is really compelling me to keep going in anything.

I hate buying an early access title but it doesn't look too horribly incomplete. The airdrop thing doesn't bug me as it creates an event to compete for the weapons which seems kind of unique and fun. Then again it could suck balls big time. I spent $20 on scratchers yesterday (broke even), surely this will provide more entertainment than that.

Gundy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-29

1 edit

Gundy to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I've been thinking the same thing lately. The game looks rather entertaining for 20$. A lot of streamers have been playing it and it seems like a good time fill. It does look pretty bland though, but I'm hoping that's just the 'alpha' phase.

Eventually I'll buy it that's for sure. I'm a sucker for horror survival games.

Forgot to add, if anyone decides to purchase the game drop me a msg. Wouldn't mind teaming up to help my rage factor in getting shot.
Roadhowse
join:2010-10-13
Greensburg, PA

Roadhowse

I've been playing this the past couple of days and I have to say in my opinion its a already a step up from DayZ even in it's "alpha" state.

It has it's share of bugs but so far nothing game breaking. The biggest problem was the broken loot drops but that has since been fixed, and arguably could be toned down a bit seeing as how easy it is for everyone to have a firearm now.

I'm enjoying the crafting component and base building aspect of the game, allowing for a progressive feel to your character, as well as the option to create stashes to allow "end game" hording.

The "event" servers currently are great fun, it's basically a recreation of the arma mod battle royale and will reward special items for the actual servers.

So far my gripes though are the day/night cycles seem a bit off. Daytime seems to last maybe 15-20 minutes, where as night time will last from 45 minutes to an hour, along with some fog..making it hard on my eyes.
Shotguns need a bit of a nerf, they are basically hand cannons, and you just point and click at a general area to wipe out anything in proximity.
Lastly, there is already a hacking presence and I've encountered several daily, from speed hacking, to flying in the air/ popping out of nowhere.

All in all I think it's off to a great start and has some good potential, regardless of what the naysayers are saying right now. Has been worth my $20.00

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru

New H1Z1 Patch!

»forums.station.sony.com/ ··· te.3977/
quote:
April 2nd Update

• Zone export – We will be exporting the zone and it should catch a lot of erroneous terrain bugs including trees in the road, floating objects, and bad terrain that can easily flip vehicles
• New Dam – There will be a new Dam that replaces the old placeholder Dam. It is much larger and better reflects what a finished art asset should look like in H1Z1, rather than the old Dam which was created with cement block pieces.
• Male character model – A new character model will be added which will show a full body (chest and legs) as well as adds a lot of new wearable options to the game including face, gloves, and feet slots. Sidenote: Female character model is currently already being worked on
• R380 Pistol – The R380 is a small pocket pistol available in the .380 caliber. This pistol boasts a high fire rate but minimal stopping power.
• Pickup Truck interior – A better detailed interior for the pickup truck that is more high res
• Workbenches - Workbenches can be found in the world or crafted and placed. If you are close enough to the workbench you will be able to use it to create specific recipes. You don’t actually interact with the workbench at this time, you just need to have it in your proximity. It can be used to convert ammo into other types of ammo, break down guns into gun repair kits, or to create some of the existing recipes that would be too difficult to do by hand.

---Any type of ammunition can be broken down into “Gun Components”. Each bullet or shell will give you 1 Gun Component. You can then use 2 Gun Components to make any other type of ammunition.

---Guns can be dismantled into “Gun Parts”. Larger guns will give more gun parts. You can then use three gun parts to create a “Gun Repair Kit”. This repair kit can be used on weapons to repair them. Currently this will repair any weapon, but in the future it will be restricted to guns only.

---Metal crafting recipes will now require a workbench to create. This includes the recipes for Metal Sheets, Metal Pipes, Machete, Combat Knife, Bear Trap, Landmine, IED, and the above mentioned conversion recipes for ammo and guns.

• Anti-cheat – Continuing our efforts to provide a better anti-cheat service and stop more cheaters
• Bug fixing – Continuously fixing bugs, both existing and anything new that pops up
• Body sim performance improvements – The body sim was causing some server performance and has been improved to be less harsh on the server
• Revised crude map – We are adding grid locations to the crude map to better help friends find each other

Contents
Contents
join:2003-04-10
Circle Pines, MN

Contents

Patch looks awesome but I'm not looking forward to the workbench. It makes sense but now I'm going to feel like I'm back in Rust.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
H1Z1 thread has been kinda quiet. How is the game these days? I'm debating picking it up on the current steam sale due to the big announcement this week that they are splitting the game into two. If you get the game before the split you get both games. As well it appears the games will not be F2P when it is released.

»www.h1z1.com/news/just-s ··· ary-2016

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

said by graniterock:

H1Z1 thread has been kinda quiet. How is the game these days? I'm debating picking it up on the current steam sale due to the big announcement this week that they are splitting the game into two. If you get the game before the split you get both games. As well it appears the games will not be F2P when it is released.

»www.h1z1.com/news/just-s ··· ary-2016

I really thought this game had potential to compete with the anemic disaster that is DayZ. Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed when it appeared they were taking it in the direction of this Battle Royale thing. It seemed completely off track from where they said this game was going and I lost pretty much all interest in it.

I bought it in some Steam sale for cheap months and months ago and never even actually installed it, so I certainly can't say what kind of shape the game is in today but I am glad you brought this to my attention because this might actually help revive this game a bit. I'm excited once again to see if they can make a proper zombie survival game out of this thing yet.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to shinjuru

Premium Member

to shinjuru
I bought into the early access early last year for something to play while I was recovering from surgery. It was OK, I didn't really play all that long. Kind of interested to see how they will split it up and what the differences well be between the two games.