join:2001-05-24
Sterling Heights, MI
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear CM500V
Netgear C7100V

ClockerXP

[Equip] Can't Access Gateway Config Page After About 15min Uptime

Howdy-

I just got my triple play X1 install completed. I have 105 Extreme internet and the speed is excellent....slightly above the advertised speed. The Gateway I was given is an SMC D3GNV. I'm not happy with how it is behaving. In order to access the configuration pages of the Gateway, I need to reset it (press the button for ~30sec and release). Shortly after the reset, I can get into the config pages with the default settings. Odd thing is, for a little while I even seen a radio button option to set it in bridged mode! Never did it though.

I can spend a little time in the conf pages, setting the firewall to moderate, changing WIFI channel and SSID etc.. But after I log out, a little while later if I go back in to check some signal levels or change something, and type in the 10.0.0.1 address, my browser just sits there saying 'waiting for 10.0.0.1' and it never responds.

Signal levels are downstream 4 bonded channels at about +2 dBmV. SNR is about 35. Upstream signal levels are about 43 dBmV (3 bonded channels). So that seems fine.

Any idea what the problem is? I'm thinking about trying to replace it anyway because I want 5Ghz support. If I just take it to a local Comcast store, can they replace the Gateway there?

Thanks,
C1K
ClockerXP

ClockerXP

Click for full size
DISABLING the IPV6 stuff in the router seems to have fixed my problem!
ClockerXP

ClockerXP

I spoke too soon, it's still jacked up.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

Comcast's gateway firmware is a bit dodgy. My grandmother has the Arris TG862 and you can't view the connected devices page anymore (just a blank white screen). So you wouldn't know who else is connected and unauthorized to do so (if you're a security nut like me).

But, if you can't just switch it out for a SB6141 or TM822G, then go with the TG862 gateway or the Cisco DPC3939 (if available).

ClockerXP
Sterling Heights, MI

ClockerXP

Yeah I am thinking about just getting a TM822G and install it but I'm afraid it might be too much of a PITA and my bill will get all screwed up.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

I mean see if its available for lease (which would have less of a chance to screw up the bill).

I would buy my own cable modem, but with the reports I see of stolen gateways and which modems seem to get faulty firmware pushed from comcast (not to mention how many times we recently got speed upgrades) make me stay with leasing one since soon I may need a 8x4 modem.

ClockerXP
Sterling Heights, MI

ClockerXP

Yeah, ideally I can get a DPC3939 (leased) and I think I would be OK then.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

Right now it doesn't have IPv6 capability (not that it would matter for most).

But knowing how Cisco products never fail to be reliable, it'd be worth the tradeoff for now.

ClockerXP
Sterling Heights, MI
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear CM500V
Netgear C7100V

ClockerXP

I ended up going to my local XFinity store. The guy there was great. They were all out of TM822Gs so I had to get an TM722G. That'll be fine for me, I will probably shop around for an 822 to see if I can get a good deal on a new one. Wish Amazon sold them directly because I'm not too interested in going through a 3rd party seller for an item like this...

BTW, the only Gateway they had was a Technicolor TC8305C. I'd heard those have some issues with VPN so I passed and went for just the straight up EMTA.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN

MDA

Premium Member

I currently have the TM722G. It's a workhorse modem and has never been a issue for me. It's just sad to know that it gets outdated by newer 8x4+ modems...