spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LilSlugga
join:2010-11-14
Shrewsbury, MA

LilSlugga

[Speed Issues] Slow internet at night

So I bought a condo in October. I talked to the neighbors and the only choice I had for internet was Charter. Verizon only offered DSL in my unit for some reason even though the house next door has FiOS. The street I live on has very old houses (late 1800s). The complex I live in has four other units in a 100 year old 6,000 sq-ft colonial.

Anyways, I got the 30/4 plan. During the morning and afternoon I get 30-40 down, but the speed drops down to 4-5 past 5 PM and into the night. The reason I got the 30/4 package was to be able to stream lots of stuff since I opted not to get cable.

Loading webpages is not terrible, just when I try to stream MLB games on my MLB.tv app through my Panasonic DMP-BDT330. It's hardwired to my router that's connected to my modem. I am at work so I don't have my router and modem information to provide, but I thought I'd post this to get some ideas from you guys.

Maybe the MLB.tv app is to blame?
LilSlugga

LilSlugga

Click for full size
Model Name: SB6121.
Vendor Name: Motorola.
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.6-SCM00-NOSH.
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 5.0.
Firmware Build Time: Apr 17 2012 15:09:37.

Model Name: WNDR4300.
Vendor Name: Netgear.
Router Firmware Version: V1.0.1.42.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to LilSlugga

Premium Member

to LilSlugga
Typical description of an oversubscribed node. At night when everyone is home and using the internet, the node is congested and gets slow.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to LilSlugga

to LilSlugga
Signals look good. Find out if your area is a 8 channel, if yes, get a 8 channel modem to take advantage of it like a Cisco DPC3008.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

One doesn't need an 8-channel modem to benefit from the additional bandwidth. The 8-channel modems already on that network segment help create more headroom for those using 4-channel modems.

I'd be willing to bet that the OP's area hasn't been upgraded yet.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by defiant:

One doesn't need an 8-channel modem to benefit from the additional bandwidth. The 8-channel modems already on that network segment help create more headroom for those using 4-channel modems.

I'd be willing to bet that the OP's area hasn't been upgraded yet.

It still helps.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

Only if there's a small amount of 8-channel modems on the network segment, i.e. too few to balance the load. I've yet to see where this has been a significant factor. Odds are the OP's area only has 4-channels.

TheTechGuru
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

I guess I'm lucky, lol.

My area is 8 channel, I have a 8 channel I brought in from a different charter area when I moved here and the local office here is still only stocking 4 channel and the local installers are only carrying 4 channel. So it's safe to assume, most of my town only has 4 channel modems.
LilSlugga
join:2010-11-14
Shrewsbury, MA

LilSlugga

Well last night the connection stayed pretty fast after 7 PM. I did speed tests every hour from 7 PM until around 10 PM and I was getting 30+ the whole time. However, the MLB.tv app was acting funny on my Panasonic DMP-BDT330. It kept freezing so I tried the MLB.tv app on my Panasonic TC-P60VT60 which worked much better. I had some blips, but they were not as frequent compared to the Panasonic DMP-BDT330.

So I am really not sure if it's my connection or the MLB.tv.

Things to note: (1) my Panasonic TC-P60VT60 is connected wirelessly to my router and my Panasonic DMP-BDT330 is hardwired. (2) I was running speedtests from my iPhone off the wireless.

A little unrelated, but (3) I finally figured out how to watch Yankees games when they play the Red Sox through MLB.tv while living in MA. Normally they would be blacked out because I am in the Red Sox market.

»www.unblock-us.com/ This worked flawlessly last night. This is kind of why my internet connection is very important. I don't have cable so I stream everything to my TV. I have an antenna to pick up the locals in HD.
LilSlugga

LilSlugga

The only way to find out if my area has been upgraded is to call, right?

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac

Premium Member

said by LilSlugga:

The only way to find out if my area has been upgraded is to call, right?

Most areas have been upgraded, you just need to obtain a modem that is capable of 8 channel bonding. And even if you get it, and it's not, the newer modem won't hurt anything.

When I called, and subsequently stopped at my local office, neither of them even knew what channel bonding was. At the local office, after I confused the guy, I simply asked him to bring out the available modems. Used my phone to check 8 channel bonding on them.

None of the ones they had were capable, I gave the local office guy my name/number, and he called me when a motorola sb6141 came in. He called, I picked it up, boom 8 channel bonding.

Just giving you a heads up of what you'll have to do. If you try to call and ask, they won't know what channel bonding is, won't know if your area is upgraded, hell I was having some packet loss issues, and the lady on the phone told me my area wasn't upgraded, and that I was mistaken about my area having 60/4 speeds normally, before my packet loss started.

Dealing with anyone tier 1 is a nightmare.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

I guess I'm lucky, lol.

My area is 8 channel, I have a 8 channel I brought in from a different charter area when I moved here and the local office here is still only stocking 4 channel and the local installers are only carrying 4 channel. So it's safe to assume, most of my town only has 4 channel modems.

Just because the techs happen to only carry 4-channel modems at one point, doesn't mean there isn't a significant amount of 8-channel devices already installed. Charter, at one time, did modem swaps via Fedex to get as many DOCSIS 1/1.1 modems off the network. Also consider most of the eMTAs are 8-channel capable and there's an effort to use them to provide not only phone service, but HSI as well.
defiant

defiant to BKayrac

to BKayrac
said by BKayrac:

Most areas have been upgraded, you just need to obtain a modem that is capable of 8 channel bonding. And even if you get it, and it's not, the newer modem won't hurt anything.

Most? Probably not. But consider it's still early and Spectrum-related launches are still in-progress.
defiant

defiant to LilSlugga

to LilSlugga
Much of the discussion of 4- vs. 8-channel modems has already taken place in this thread: »[HSI] Charter does not let customers know about 8 channel bonding.....