dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Sighminimal strategy »
This is a sub-selection from Now wait a minute!
n4bkn
join:2003-12-11
Memphis, TN

n4bkn to battleop

to battleop

Re: Now wait a minute!

said by battleop:

EPB says you can download a Full length HD movie in just 12 seconds (but they can't tell you from what site) with their 1Gb service and AT&T says it's 36 seconds with their 1Gb.

Perhaps AT&T meant to say 36 seconds with their "available now" 300 Mbps? The 1 Gbps is a future speed.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

said by n4bkn:

said by battleop:

EPB says you can download a Full length HD movie in just 12 seconds (but they can't tell you from what site) with their 1Gb service and AT&T says it's 36 seconds with their 1Gb.

Perhaps AT&T meant to say 36 seconds with their "available now" 300 Mbps? The 1 Gbps is a future speed.

And the future Gbit might end up 2.5Gb shared with entire hood. Google has high capacity backend design to give everyone in fiberhood a Gbit.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

And is still at the mercy of the rest of the Internet. So still if the download you're getting is only coming from T1 or T3 you are still only going to get that speed. So having the Gbit is pointless as you're only going to see it on a rare occasion.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!!!

Chuck tell him what he's won....
existenz

1 edit

existenz

Not sure where you get your information. I can pull over 800M outside Google Fiber with one computer and near a Gbit with 2 computers. And there are likely hundreds of people in my fiberhood that are active.

See the second post....
»Google Fiber Kansas City

Edit: Here are some KC/Chicago tests at this time...

TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Still not what you pay for, but it is okay since it's by Google right? Now try the Speed Test from DSLR and see what you get. Also show the actual links from Ookla so we can see if they were Photoshopped.

And you must not have obtained your information from someone that knows that their internet service is only as fast as the slowest point. Aka- a t1 is SLOWER than your GF. Would you like to do a speedtest to my connection at my home? You won't pull what you just posted.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to existenz

Premium Member

to existenz
And just how do expect to get greater than 100mbps out of a 100mbps connection? (read: MINE.) You are ultimately at the mercy of the speed of the machine sending you data. In the case of my web servers, that's 10 (ten) Mbps -- intentionally to limit their throughput.

(BTW, the link is gig, but the ISP hardware at both ends limits it to 100. While I can remove the traffic shaping on my side, I cannot on their's.)
existenz

existenz

Yeah, no doubt a single connection can only go as fast as each end. The point here though is that multiple people can be doing many things at same time to various sites and not interfere with each other. The way Google designed network, it appears most everyone in a fiberhood could get near Gbit and not interfere with each other. With other Gbit ISPs, it appears that entire hoods could be sharing a 2.5Gbit GPON and could more likely interfere with each other.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

I read his review and it looks like he does get near 1gbs if there are two PCs using the network at the same time if I understood right.

Cool to see a google fiber person here. I hope to be a google fiber or RST fiber customer soon. For now I am stuck with old cable tech.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

And is still at the mercy of the rest of the Internet. So still if the download you're getting is only coming from T1 or T3 you are still only going to get that speed. So having the Gbit is pointless as you're only going to see it on a rare occasion.

Yep - I have a friend in Kansas City who got Google Fiber recently.. Most of his speed tests avg 300-400 down / 300-400 up using a direct connection to their router/gateway/interface.

Sure Gigabit to everyone would be nice but the reality is your going to be bottle necked by everything running off 100mb connections elsewhere.
existenz

existenz

We're talking about sharing neighborhood connections here, not individual connections. ATT is possibly sharing 2.5G with entire hood, is more likely many users in hood will interfere with each other than way Google Gbit is designed.

As far as household, as more services bump up speeds on the source end and Gbit users update to modern computers, they'll be able to push/pull closer to a Gbit with multiple users. IE, my highest end computer can do 800/800, some older can only do 200. But many computers/tablets at once in household can be pulling 50-200+ from various services, potentially up to near 1Gbit.

With over 15 devices in my home, on Google they won't interfere with each other if say concurrently DropBox were syncing at 200Mbps, DVR recording up to 8 channels, and a couple devices doing 4K Netflix, etc. Google Gbit would have no problem handling this within a household or even many doing this in fiberhood - 150 potential users in my condo building alone. Other Gbit ISPs with 2.5Gb GPON may not be able to handle that at the neighborhood level, let alone a single large building.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to existenz

to existenz
So show us how many non speed test sites sustain those speeds.
existenz

1 edit

existenz

Dropbox does over 200M sustained on syncs. I'm not sure about Google HD but TV is not compressed beyond original content so could be 15+ for each recording - will check on GFiber forums. Netflix 4K is 15M per device. Torrenting is maybe major thing that can sustain over 200 today (I've seen 500) - is likely some kid(s) in your hood will do this. That adds up for entire neighborhoods if only on a 2.5G GPON.

Again, were talking about many users in a neighborhood and that ISPs are claiming to offer 300M/1G but are sharing 2.5 in entire hood. Limits could more likely be hit with them than with Google Gbit.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss

Premium Member

said by existenz:

Dropbox does over 200M sustained on syncs. I'm not sure about Google HD but TV is not compressed beyond original content so could be 15+ for each recording - will check on GFiber forums. Netflix 4K is 15M per device. Torrenting is maybe major thing that can sustain over 200 today (I've seen 500) - is likely some kid(s) in your hood will do this. That adds up for entire neighborhoods if only on a 2.5G GPON.

Again, were talking about many users in a neighborhood and that ISPs are claiming to offer 300M/1G but are sharing 2.5 in entire hood. Limits could more likely be hit with them than with Google Gbit.

200mbs on dropbox, did you have to use an SSD to keep that speed up or did a HDD manage to keep up with that?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

You're confusing megabits with megabytes. 200Mb ~ 20MB. I have complete crap laptop drives that read at 50-60MB (bytes) per second, while that's not gig, it's a lot faster than his dropbox upload.
« Sighminimal strategy »
This is a sub-selection from Now wait a minute!