spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

Less than meets the eye

At least where I live (NE Atlanta suburbs) this isn't universal for all Blast customers, but only for those who have the Triple Play bundle. I don't know what Triple Play penetration rates are in the Northeast, but my guess is that this speed upgrade is being to far fewer people than Comcast would like you to think.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

not only that, but weren't they just crying about saturation not that long ago, yet they are increasing the maximum bandwidth per client while not increasing the actual capacity of their network.

overselling so they can get the merger approved.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

2 recommendations

FactChecker

Premium Member

If you check the facts you will find:

1) Every ISP is ALWAYS oversubscribed - it's called statistical multiplexing.
2) For the vast majority of customers Comcast consistently delivers on advertised speed and was the only ISP that has done so since the FCC began measuring this statistic a few years ago.
3) Every year Comcast and other ISPs increase the actual capacity of their network to keep ahead of new demand

BlastSpeeds
@comcast.net

BlastSpeeds to tpkatl

Anon

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

At least where I live (NE Atlanta suburbs) this isn't universal for all Blast customers, but only for those who have the Triple Play bundle. I don't know what Triple Play penetration rates are in the Northeast, but my guess is that this speed upgrade is being to far fewer people than Comcast would like you to think.

I don't have the Triple Play pkg in South Jersey suburbs and I did get my Blast Tier speeds upgraded to 105/10 in the last week or so. The following result was from a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1(2014 version) which uses a Netgear router with 802.11ac on 5Ghz spectrum.

»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 92446847

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX to FactChecker

Premium Member

to FactChecker
said by FactChecker:

If you check the facts you will find:

1) Every ISP is ALWAYS oversubscribed - it's called statistical multiplexing.
2) For the vast majority of customers Comcast consistently delivers on advertised speed and was the only ISP that has done so since the FCC began measuring this statistic a few years ago.
3) Every year Comcast and other ISPs increase the actual capacity of their network to keep ahead of new demand

yes but every ISP wasn't crying about having too much demand on their network publicly, and leveraging their consumer base to get what they wanted.

Whats the say that the carriers aren't doing routing tweaks to increase their stats, considering that the FCC hardware has to be added to the client account, and could easily be pushed onto a better managed routing table.

Every year ISP's increase the client base size, not so much the infrastructure capacity. larger network =/ faster network.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

Sorry... your assumption about the FCC hardware is quite false and would have been discovered if it was true

Also all the industry analysis shows usage/subscriber increases every year and more demand requires more installed capacity in order to keep up with the FCC measurements.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

the FCC definition of broadband is 3/0.768mbps(can't find solid numbers anywhere), so yea, as far as the FCC sees they are meeting or exceeding targets in every market.

too bad the targets could have been met 10 years ago, and are blown away by third world countries.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

You may want to read the report... The FCC is measuring advertised vs delivered speeds at peak time of day.

»www.fcc.gov/measuring-br ··· February

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

As i said, based on their low measurement value, of course the numbers look good. guess how many countries are less then the FCC definition, 23
www.netindex.com/downloa ··· untries/)

3mbps down isn't even relevant for common users anymore.

also from your link

nice chart, but over 100% actual vs advertised seems like cooked numbers(low ball advertising), or the companies in question don't know how to properly setup equipment(more bandwidth per customer). Guess which one is more likely.
FactChecker
Premium Member

FactChecker

Premium Member

The FCC measurement value is on the advertise speeds not the 3mbps you keep referring to.

AFA "cooked numbers", not sure why any ISPs wants to use "low ball advertising". This shows that they are giving higher than advertised speeds probably to make sure they meet or exceed expectations... or you can look at it in some negative way if you like
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to tpkatl

to tpkatl
This seems a common refrain with Cable companies.. Cablevision too is limiting the faster speeds to those who buy video services. Hint, anyone?
Therefore, when the cablecos bias thier offerings this way, so will the telcos.. that is if they want to (or can) offer faster speeds at all. This leaves the stand-alone customer SCREWED, once again. Imagine it costing MORE to not buy video than to buy a dual play or triple play service?!? Crazy!