« believe it when i see it
This is a sub-selection from at&t at it again
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to existenz

to existenz

Re: at&t at it again

Google only promises that speed on THEIR network as any other ISP. Just because you signed up for 1gig service does NOT mean you will get that once your traffic hits the internet outside of the Google World. You should do a speedtest here on DSLR and I bet you won't get that speed that you're always posting about now

F100
join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC
Alcatel-Lucent G-010G-A
(Software) pfSense
Pace 5268AC

F100

Right but what if you have two real good networks. Universities have 10gig links to the internet, internet2 and NLR. So if someone on Google Fiber connects to desktop PC that has gigabit to the core, then only the internet back-haul could be the slowest link. Wouldn't imagine back-haul limited to less than a gig. Yes it depends on internet traffic but I'd like to see existenz or someone with google fiber test to »ndt.ncren.net/ and post the results.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

But you still depend on those who are you obtaining your source from. That's the part that most don't understand when it comes to any Internet service. You can have a full 2gigs of Internet available, you're downloading from 155meg connection- you are NOT going to get your 2gig of speed. It's not possible.

And not ALL universities have 10gig links nor do they work with INet2 and NLR they use their own local networks and who they contract.
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz to F100

to F100
I've tried your test site multiple times and it wildly varies from 200-500Mbps. It won't let me copy the results in java window.

Here's another test I just did from KC to Chicago, outside KC GFiber network...

In the real world, you can be doing a DropBox download or sync at 200Mbps, recording 8 DVR channels and 5 other people in household doing various things that stress the network and not impact each other. Obviously torrenting is the only hard hitting app at this time (I've hit 500Mbps doing a Linux ISO). Would be hard to hit a Gbit in a household regularly but with other Gbit ISPs you may share 2.5GB with entire neighborhood and could more likely interfere with each other than the way Google backbone is apparently designed.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

have you tried usenet? if you get a good enough provider (and pc) you can probably get north of 800mbps
existenz
join:2014-02-12

existenz

I'll give usenet a shot when I get a chance.

BTW, I also found out in GF Forums that each active DVR recording/live channel uses at least 15Mbps for HD. It will be interesting to see as more people do more recordings at once in my fiberhood if Google backbone in hood can handle it - that is if I can still sustain 700-800Mbps tests.

I'm seeing more and more WiFi SSID's show up in my condo building/area with fiber in the name.
« believe it when i see it
This is a sub-selection from at&t at it again