»www.thestar.com/entertai ··· fs.html#

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Another friend who works there, refused to listen to me when I said they were going to lose hockey, and that it's going to cost jobs.

He figured that it's all good, since Rogers is using Studio 42 for production and paying CBC.

Well lo and behold, in order to continue broadcasting HNIC, they had to throw the studio time in for free. In otherwords, Rogers gets free production costs.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Well what else is there to watch on CBC?
Seriously they have nothing!
Since they didn't upgrade all their analog transmitters to digital they have a smaller number of viewers. If you show less what people want to watch, and then show what you do have left to fewer people it should come as no surprise that you need fewer people to deliver less of something and a lot more of nothing.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Are you kidding me, CBC has some pretty damn good shows, it's haters like yourself and CPC supporters who can't see the forest for the trees.

I guess you perfer paying Rogers, Bell and Shaw to simsub American imports instead.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

You'll never guess what I am listening to at this moment.

Since CBC pulled its analog service in places they EXPECT you to subscribe to cable or satellite service to get their programming and as you know you have to pay a premium on top of their service to get it in HD.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to donoreo

to donoreo
Harper is gutting an important part of Canadian heritage IMO. Hopefully CBC gets smart and starts reducing salaries of the upper echelon and trims the fat then reorganizes to make their core content more strong than what it is now.

Of course they won't and likely will just coast until it's too late to change.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

"Harper is gutting" - I don't know if I'd go that far...

The CBC is a black hole for money - cash goes in; and is never seen again - that they refuse to do financial disclosure is the biggest thing I have against them, to be honest. They are at least partly the authors of their own demise...

I listen to CBC radio 1, mostly via Sirius; and really enjoy a lot of the documentaries they produce and/or air both on radio, and TV. They honestly and truly do some good stuff...

But they also play hours upon hours of imported content, of varying degrees of quality.

IMO - they could afford to cut a fair bit of fat, and still keep most of the 'good' stuff intact.

Also, show me how my money's being spent - if they are using that Billion+ bucks a year wisely, smartly, and effectively; show me... If it's being pissed down the drain, well, it's my money, and I'd like to know that, too.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Warez_Zealot

Premium Member

to Warez_Zealot
said by Warez_Zealot:

Harper is gutting an important part of Canadian heritage IMO. Hopefully CBC gets smart and starts reducing salaries of the upper echelon and trims the fat then reorganizes to make their core content more strong than what it is now.

If Rob Ford loses, he should go run the CBC

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Are you kidding me, CBC has some pretty damn good shows, it's haters like yourself and CPC supporters who can't see the forest for the trees.

Perhaps, but outside of HNIC, did anyone watch any of them? That's required to pay the bills. The only other shows in the top 30 last week were Murdoch Mysteries (produced by non-subsidized City TV), and Dragon's Den. Viewers are required for revenue to pay people.
said by elwoodblues:

I guess you perfer paying Rogers, Bell and Shaw to simsub American imports instead.

And the CBC's Jeopardy and Coronation Street re-runs are better because?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

You'll never guess what I am listening to at this moment.

Since CBC pulled its analog service in places they EXPECT you to subscribe to cable or satellite service to get their programming and as you know you have to pay a premium on top of their service to get it in HD.

Most broadcasters have done this, with the exception of large urban areas. It's the chicken and the egg. All those transmitters cost money to maintain, not to mention the cost of converting to digital.

As for extra for HD, I just looked the Rogers website for the base package and CBC HD is included. You may not realize this but many broadcasters have their content in HD and downconvert for SD. It also goes the other way, what they have in SD they upconvert for HD (which looks like ass btw).

You want irritating? How about having to pay "extra" for Discovery HD, only to find it's the same content they run on their SD channel.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by elwoodblues:

Perhaps, but outside of HNIC, did anyone watch any of them? That's required to pay the bills. The only other shows in the top 30 last week were Murdoch Mysteries (produced by non-subsidized City TV), and Dragon's Den. Viewers are required for revenue to pay people.
said by elwoodblues:

And the CBC's Jeopardy and Coronation Street re-runs are better because?

You realize those shows are money makers right? If they were subsidized like most western countries (the US aside where like minded people want it to go too).

As for content, there is a good number of shows I've watched over the years that has been very good.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

As for content, there is a good number of shows I've watched over the years that has been very good.

I don't disagree that there's no reason why the CBC couldn't produce quality programming. I just think the subsidized public broadcaster model, like newspapers, in the digital age, is long past obsolete.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

You want irritating? How about having to pay "extra" for Discovery HD, only to find it's the same content they run on their SD channel.

I know, it's total horseshit. If a HD channel carries the exact same content as its SD sibling, the HD should be included in your package automatically.

But this is another thread for another day.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
The key words being digital, thus a box of some sort of box is required to decode.decompress their lossy feed. The box is extra (though they might have rolled it into the cost of the service), even if one is free, most need a second or third one to supply their TVs.

Yes I am aware of how they degrade the signal for the sake of making more money. Even their digital offerings become unwatchable because of the heavy compression. Assuming you have put up an aerial at least you can get several stations without compression (and fees for free), around these parts there isn't much in the way of programing. If I had your OTA feed options I would have cut the cord long ago.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They do compress OTA, but not nearly at the level the BDU's do.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Harper's been all for gutting/killing CBC because of it's alleged Liberal/liberal bias - you know.... stuff like having science reporting, and 'facts'.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

Trying to get this yanked to another forum?

The financial pressures here are the result of the HNIC changes.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to donoreo

to donoreo
Cant say good news as people have lost job. But on other hand they had good run. as said by someone above they dont want to show how they spend and keep on enjoying taxpayer money.

Is Evan Solomon is on that list? I would be very happy if he has gone.
Time to cut CBC funding altogether.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Question: Does the CBC do anything much outside of its traditional broadcasting?

-----

Down here, none of the networks goes it alone anymore.

ABC is part of Disney and brings in lots of revenue from ESPN and other cable networks.

NBC has cable operations too, and after years as part of GE it is now run by the big cable company Comcast.

CBS produces lots of TV shows not only for themselves but also for others, they have lots of other business operations too many of which came from the old Viacom and Paramount (a lot of that was spun off but they got lots of cash for those deals).

-----

If the CBC is mainly focused on their TV and radio networks (and I know they are extensive), it's hard to make a living just on that.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by Warez_Zealot:

If Rob Ford loses, he should go run the CBC

Haha, that's a big "if". If he does lose, the CBC can just hire him and re-name CBC to Rob Ford Reality TV Channel and just follow him around 24/7 to watch his antics.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to donoreo

to donoreo
After losing the NHL rights this was an inevitability, but the degree of it blows me away.

I'd be curious though when we'll see a similar announcement regarding staff cutbacks at TSN. There's no way that they can re-assign that many hockey talking heads to something else (Gord Miller does croquet? )

NefCanuck

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
CBC is pretty much equivalent to your PBS.

Same goes for the conventional channels up here in terms of ownership.

CTV is owned by Bell
CityTV owned by Rogers
Global is owned by shaw

each of then also have a host of specialty channels that they own.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to NefCanuck

Premium Member

to NefCanuck
They're getting ouf of sports period, production staff, producers, exec producers, writers, engineering and the list goes on.

It's no different the auto industry, you cut a line of cars, you no longer need those parts and not only do you lay off your production staff, but your suppliers (or in the case of CBC support staff) go with it.

The majority of these people are not going to find a job in TV, not with Rogers Bell and Shaw controlling what's left, and for them it's a race to the bottom on what they pay.

A friend of mine, was at CityTV since its inception, Bell decided they were going to package him off,. the offered him the minimum required by law, which according to federal standards is 2 days per year employed, in his case, 2 months. Needless to say he had to engage a lawyer.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by elwoodblues:

They're getting ouf of sports period, production staff, producers, exec producers, writers, engineering and the list goes on.

It's no different the auto industry, you cut a line of cars, you no longer need those parts and not only do you lay off your production staff, but your suppliers (or in the case of CBC support staff) go with it.

The majority of these people are not going to find a job in TV, not with Rogers Bell and Shaw controlling what's left, and for them it's a race to the bottom on what they pay.

A friend of mine, was at CityTV since its inception, Bell decided they were going to package him off,. the offered him the minimum required by law, which according to federal standards is 2 days per year employed, in his case, 2 months. Needless to say he had to engage a lawyer.

The article linked only mentions that they weren't going to bid on "pro sports" any more. It didn't say that they were also abandoning amateur sports as well (which would be a bad move IMO, their sports coverage is about the only support amateur athletics *gets* in this country, aside from TSN and the CIS football that they cover)

NefCanuck

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member

Thane_Bitter to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Yes he has cut funding, but lets look at those little things called facts, look at the graph?

(sorry about the double upload)

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to donoreo

to donoreo
Big listener of Radio 1, but I always put on my bias filter hat and the left perspective does get old sometimes.

IIRC, they have no OTA presence up here in Blunder Bay (analog or digital).

Occasionally I do comparative analysis between their coverage and CTVs, the diametric bias of each is telling and it becomes, at least for me, a matter of who stinks less. I'll grudgingly give the CBC their due, not being beholden to corporate $$$ in an era of media consolidation makes them an indispensable outlier in a sea of MSM conformity.

If nothing else, keep the news and I'd even support an increase in local coverage from coast to coast to coast.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

That is a lot of it, there is this constant fear of ticking off an advertiser and losing revenue. Probably one of the reasons Marketplace is so successful, they don't care who they tick off in the name of "consumers first" . W5 (is it still on CTV?) might go after little fish that won't ever affect their income.

They also won't disparage their corporate overlords.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark

Yep, anyone who puts people first gets my vote...even if the cash comes from the public till.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Excellent article about the Ceeb.

»fullcomment.nationalpost ··· survive/

"Rather than forcing a root-and-branch overhaul of the CBC, however, Conservatives and Liberals alike have preferred to let it wither away, doing the best it can to cope on ever-reduced budgets. It is clear that this can’t continue. But the conundrum remains, what new model to adopt?"

"Canada in 2014 is not the Canada of 1952, strung out over a vast area with limited means to unite and promote a shared identity and culture. Canadian culture is strong, its identity secure. Few Canadians need Little Mosque on the Prairie to tell them who they are."

Indeed they do not.

"Thursday’s news was bad for the CBC, but it will only get worse unless the network undertakes a fundamental rethinking of its place in Canada and develops a strategy based on demand for its services rather than nostalgia for its past, at much reduced cost. If Ottawa won’t force the issue, the network should do so on its own. Otherwise it won’t survive, and won’t deserve to."
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

CBC is pretty much equivalent to your PBS.

I guess that one big difference is that PBS never carried any big national sports, unlike the CBC with NHL.

-----

IIRC the CBC has refused to divulge details of its business affairs to the Parliament. Do I understand that correctly?

Hard to blame Parliament therefore if they are not as friendly with appropriations.