All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

reluctantJ
@rcn.com

reluctantJ

Anon

[Other] cable node hosting contract renewing - current rates?

I am an IT professional living in Chicago, and I've been asked for help by a neighbor. The neighbor is elderly and has a Comcast cable node installed in their back yard, by the garage. This node has been in place since 1999, and the neighbor has been signing 5-year leases with Comcast for $15K apiece. The contract has just come up for renewal, and the neighbor is very incented to get more out of this arrangement.

$3K/yr to host the cable node seems low to me, and I worry that this neighbor is being taken advantage of. Any advice appreciated.

rJ
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

I don't know the current rate, but I'm sure that many people would gladly let the cable company put a box in their yard for an extra 3 grand in free cash per year! (I'd probably hold out for a free triple-play setup in the house as well.)

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to reluctantJ

Premium Member

to reluctantJ
In my experience, the Telco/Cableco generally doesn't pay anything - they just place whatever they want/need within the easements or on the existing RoW, and that's that...

Can you get a pic, or better describe this node?

I'd be very leary of pushing for more - $3k a year isn't a ton, sure; but it's a lot better then nothing, too...
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to reluctantJ

MVM

to reluctantJ
2nd HarryH3 See Profile... see if this neighbor couldn't finagle that as well.

I was hunting around the internet but couldn't find this particular story... supposedly someone
has an internet setup that happened to function as the ISP's core node; long story short, the ISP
forgot about it, customer griped about something and held ISP hostage till the ISP gave them free 100Mbp internet
to get their 'core' back.

Regards

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

1 recommendation

weaseled386 to reluctantJ

to reluctantJ
If this were my neighbor I'd tell her to be careful, and not get greedy. That node could be relocated within a week. It could go from free cash to nothing.. I've seen it happen a dozen times...

Most recent was a couple years ago. A company was paying to rent a 10' x 10' corner of a yard. The home owners were getting greedy, and the engineer said "screw it." We installed a new cabinet (smaller and better services) 25' from the original. All lines were spliced, and services cut. Shortly after I noticed a FOR SALE sign in the front yard

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to reluctantJ

Premium Member

to reluctantJ
said by reluctantJ :

I am an IT professional living in Chicago, and I've been asked for help by a neighbor. The neighbor is elderly and has a Comcast cable node installed in their back yard, by the garage. This node has been in place since 1999, and the neighbor has been signing 5-year leases with Comcast for $15K apiece. The contract has just come up for renewal, and the neighbor is very incented to get more out of this arrangement.

$3K/yr to host the cable node seems low to me, and I worry that this neighbor is being taken advantage of. Any advice appreciated.

rJ

One thing you could see about is keeping the same amount, but getting service from Comcast for a reduced (or possibly free) rate.

reluctantJ
@rcn.com

reluctantJ to reluctantJ

Anon

to reluctantJ
Thanks all for your insights! Very helpful.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to reluctantJ

to reluctantJ
If it's a node at node size that's quite some money (unsure how much real estate it occupies).... I had done something similar in my past residence for just free service...
Of course if this is a huge pedestal with power etc... then I would ask for more....
As others posted: I would not rock the boat - they may jump one yard over if he get's greedy

former qwest
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
out there

former qwest to reluctantJ

Premium Member

to reluctantJ
as weaseled386 said, leave it alone. i once had to remove a cell site from the top of a hotel. the hotel had told Sprint they now wanted 6K, the RF engineers found an appropriate nearby site and we set up the COW. hotel now out 6K.