spc
Search similar:

uniqs

myname
@12.139.121.x

myname

Anon

His words were twisted

What he said was he would trying hard to make many from handsets but at the end of the day he is in the business of making money. So if after many tries he doesn't succeed, MAYBE he will get out of the handset business down the road.
This was turned around with a headline that "it's more important for Blackberry to make money than to sell handsets" (I saw this on Engadget). And now here, we get the same flavor of article.
I like this site, but it almost seems like all major news outlets were instructed to write as many bad articles as possible about Blackberry to run them down in the public opinion. As a result, public don't buy them and as a result they go down and as a result, even more bad articles can be written.
Sure enough, his words were twisted in a very negative way, and now the news outlets run with it
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

I also get the feeling that someone on high has it out for Blackberry. Are they possibly getting the Qwest treatment for not playing ball with the right people?
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

I don't think that's it. I think it's more that the company's ingrained culture is making it difficult for it to quickly adapt to the changing market. For a while, they were the dominant player, and companies in that position sometimes develop this mentality that their goal is to protect their position in the market. Also, hey, if a certain way of doing business got them to where they are, why shouldn't it get them even further? Or so the thinking goes. Well, that won't work anymore, but you have a company whose culture is stuck in time, and even a CEO would have trouble simply imposing a change.

If you want an example, back when 3G was being launched, it was forever and a day before the company launched a GSM model with 3G, even though just about every other manufacturer had long since done so. Would you want to use EDGE if you could get something faster?

Also, look at the changes in the corporate market. Companies are getting away from issuing devices to employees; instead allowing workers to use whichever device they want. There goes the corporate market for handsets. Now look at what devices BlackBerry had before the Z10. Almost nothing that most people wanted, and, by the time the Z10 arrived, it was just one mediocre device in a sea of better devices. Few people noticed or cared.

BlackBerry has no one but themselves to blame for their troubles.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

I don't disagree. Just odd to me how much positively negative press their new devices get, even though they aren't any worse than WP8 devices (which were just as arguably late to the game), and at least some people at least stand up for them.

I used to love my Berry. Had a Curve, and waited for what seemed like ages for the Bold 9000 to be released. Even had one of the original BB Storm models on Verizon. iPhone killer, my ass. What a piece of crap.

That was definitely their problem, they tried to badge engineer the same old junk and market them as game changers. Badge engineering doesn't work, even the American automakers learned that the hard way. But I understand why they continued to make the 'Ole Trusty models that would last all day on a charge with heavy usage, and were slow and awkward but reliable and familiar. That was what the corporate market, at the time their bread and butter, demanded.

It would have made a lot more sense to actually diverge into two product lines way back then, a Pro and Consumer grade if you will. Pro devices for the BES customers and corporate market, and consumer devices that worked with ActiveSync and had all the apps and new shiny. I really believe they refused to do that because they thought it would cannibalize their BES profits, which it would have, but at least they would have been still possibly been at the table today. Instead, as many have said, they ended up with neither and aren't even an also-ran.

But that still doesn't mean their new devices should be written off as complete garbage by the "objective" tech press.