defcon
join:2014-04-10
Carson City, NV

defcon

[Speed Issues] Major Latency Issues

Click for full size
Click for full size
Good evening all,
For the past month or so I have been having some major issues with my Charter internet service. Unfortunately for me I have no help from the techs as the problem consistently happens after 5pm. I do a lot of online gaming which is why I see the problem happening. Because it happens during high traffic times, I am wondering if some how that is affecting me. I have a couple screenshots of what typically happens. These were taken tonight at the same time during the problem. I pinged my router at the time the issue was happening to see if it was a router issue, as well as hardwired the modem to make sure. My house is pre-wired with RG59 as well as the drop from the street. I have had the service for nearly 2 years and like I said the issue only started about a month ago. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh, located in Carson City, NV with the 30/4 service.

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7

A traceroute to google would help, would show which hop its originating from.
ern_kel
join:2013-02-11
Carson City, NV

ern_kel to defcon

to defcon
I feel your pain. Charter for me has been spotty too with online gaming. They love to blame my router (I have four). I just recently replaced my modem and still have issues. If not charter, then we are stuck with ATT. i ditched att after the northern nv att blackout a couple of months ago. So, this spotty charter service sucks right now for me too with online gaming and streaming. So, I might just try those pyramid.net guys. Good luck... I will try to talk to level 2 tech support tommorow. Something is strange in Carson City if you ask me.
defcon
join:2014-04-10
Carson City, NV

defcon

Click for full size
Hop 8 seemed to be the main culprit, however other hops occasionally lost packets and the pings exceeded 300 at times all over. At one time I had packet loss on every hop except #1. I wish I had the option to switch to ATT but all they offer in the area is 1.5/256. No Uverse out this way. I really don't know what else to try or do. Thanks for the help though!

dks7
join:2004-05-31
Omak, WA

dks7

Well that issue is within googles network, you could try using another countries google so you pull from a different server. Or try www.duckduckgo.com which uses googles servers but allows you to be anonymous, its what I use.

There is also free line monitoring on this site for Charter customers, I would suggest setting one up, just make sure your pingable before you do. It will give you some good raw data you can actually approach Charter with. This way at the very least you can have them reduce your bill while they work on the issue. With Charter sometimes you have to be firm, and escalate an issue with a higher tier. Tier 1 are basically script readers. But have some traceroutes, and packet loss occurances documented before you call in.