join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 edit

jtl999

Telus line issues.

Around 16:00 PDT on 2014-04-10 my phone started getting loud line noise and one of my bonded lines is only getting 20mbps. Getting a tech out at 08:00 in the morning to look at the problem. Just wondering what you guys think.
Some stats.
»imgur.com/a/lCJ9g
»i.imgur.com/v0Fu4PI.png

Video of sound
»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· EseppBFs
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

Could be a number of things. Did you test at the demark to be sure it wasn't something in the house?

I did find it funny that you felt the need to black out your link-local IPv6 address.

jtl999
canada

jtl999

I think my dad may have. I was tired when I did this post also. I tried unplugging the modem and some other devices and that had no effect on the noise.
jtl999

jtl999

Telus guy came. One bonded line is not working right now. It appears to be connected just fine on one though

Mikomi
join:2013-12-09
Parksville, BC

Mikomi

Could be a bad line card at the DSLAM.

Tech still working on the issue?

jtl999
canada

jtl999

He left once the dial tone came back. I'll call him later today after I'm done work.
jtl999

jtl999

Update for you guys. I've been very busy with work stuff so I haven't called the guy yet. I might call him tomorrow. Line has been synced for five days with no FEC and CRC errors. I verified with Telnet and that is true.

mbd84
join:2013-09-12

mbd84 to Mikomi

to Mikomi
said by Mikomi:

Could be a bad line card at the DSLAM.

Tech still working on the issue?

What makes you think it's a bad line card at the DSLAM? It's a loop bonded service with one line working fine and the other one not. Noise on the line is always a physical issue, so most likely it's pots splitter / inside wiring (could still be outside though -- can be anything between port to premise).

Something wrong with the card at the DSLAM would be an outage scenario and though not necessarily impacting both clearances at the home, it likely would, and it not likely cause the symptoms described.

jtl999
canada
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

It was working fine before the issue started. No wiring on the inside was touched other then to make sure the connector was plugged in. When the tech was here he only touched the outside at the pole/DSLAM. Getting 0 FEC's and CRC's on the one working line verified via Telnet. I think the line is unplugged at the outside or something similar.

The line stats have been exactly the same other then uptime being longer since that screenshot I took showing the 0 FEC/CRC.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to jtl999

to jtl999
Sounds like one side was open.
mbd84
join:2013-09-12

mbd84 to jtl999

to jtl999
said by jtl999:

It was working fine before the issue started.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that

the provisioning for loop bonding is much more involved, but the tech *should* have called in to tier2 to double check it so hopefully that aspect is ok. however, as soon as you say anything like:
said by jtl999:

my phone started getting loud line noise

that always comes back to something physical, so not so likely that any provisioning is borked.

have they since been able to get it fixed up?

jtl999
canada
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

jtl999

I've been quite busy with stuff. I will try and see if I have time to contact them tomorrow. I didn't think it was a issue of provisioning. My 2nd line stopped working after the repairs and the repair tech never touched the inside of the house as I already said.
jtl999

jtl999

Booked a tech for Saturday between 08:00 to 10:00 am. We will see.
jtl999

jtl999

Tech never came. I believe it was due to the service upgrade for the support portal and website. Will call back tomorrow.
20424689 (banned)
join:2014-04-08

20424689 (banned)

lol what the hell is telus doing to ur internet

jtl999
canada

jtl999

Tech screwed up second bonded line while repairing home phone. Missed appointment and I'm going to call them today hopefully and get it fixed soon.
jtl999

jtl999

It's all fixed now. Other tech accidentally pulled the 2nd line from the DSLAM.

20424689 (banned)
join:2014-04-08

20424689 (banned)

nice. have you ever run netalyzer tests on your connection? have you ever considered using QOS?

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

when i had my telus 25 line it seemed like there was almost 0 downstream bufferbloat, but a damn lot of upstream bufferbloat