Search similar:

uniqs

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

3 recommendations

dib22

Great article on windows xp....

Ran across this, though many would get a kick out of it...
quote:
It wasn't meant to be this way. Windows XP, now no longer supported, wasn't meant to be popular. For all its popularity and sustained usage, people seem to have forgotten something important about it: it sucked.

quote:
"It looks like a Fisher Price toy" wrote Spinlock. tmf2 was no fan either. "I dislike the Fisher-Price desktop scheme named Luna or Lunatic, something like that." Kosmo defended the use of the Fisher-Price description as it was a "brilliant reference to [Windows XP]'s candy-assed GUI."

All so many memories, and my how history repeats ehh?

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· ated-it/

(slightly off topic, but putting it here since it relates to xp, did you know that background "Bliss" was a real photo? me either... check this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Y8OEZAEQ
)
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

A good article bud!!!

I remember when XP first came out alot of ppl were saying it sucked,etc..

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22

Re: Great article on windows xp....

Thanks for sharing the video. Give me a new sense of appreciation for the default Windows XP Image.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

1 edit

BlitzenZeus to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
Yeah, some hated the gui in xp, but it wasn't a drastic change, it could be disabled, otherwise there were other included themes. Later they released a black theme with their Zune, and it's what I used with xp ever since. It was nowhere near as drastic as Win 8.

The kernel, and driver architecture was different in XP which is NT, however didn't have the memory limitations of 9x either, along with had actual user accounts for security which most software companies ignored while 9x was still supported. Lets not forget 9x was just a shell for dos. It was a mistake not to even teach them about user accounts, and dump them out with just an administrator account. The hidden adminitrator account was so easily accessable, and most didn't know about it physical security was easily bypassed. Some people were already using 2K, and didn't play games which 2K did poorly, if not at all, so XP was a merging of gaming support with NT. I still think it was a huge mistake putting their server os NT as the home os without a firewall, and I was proven right with the worms and messenger spam that later came that also effected 2K.

People complaining over activation, but I knew people who bought one copy of 9x for an entire computer lab, shared it with their friends, etc... They brought this on themselves. I bought retail xp pro, and never had one problem with activation.
Billy Brethr (banned)
join:2005-04-01
San Antonio, TX

Billy Brethr (banned) to dib22

to dib22
After Service Pack 3, they finally got it right. They never got Vista right. Win7 is a good O/S. I haven't reinstalled in 3 years (vs. once a month).

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

3 recommendations

dvd536 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: ‏

XP = win2000 with some eyecandy thrown in.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

said by dvd536:

XP = win2000 with some eyecandy thrown in.

+1.

I've mentioned this before, if it wasn't for people buying and getting XP (at that time), I would've stayed with W2K (which went all the way up to SP6).

OverBurn
join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN

OverBurn to dib22

to dib22

Re: Great article on windows xp....

I did like the "Fisher-Price" Luna theme of XP like a lot of people, certainly not the white hot hate of Metro though. I never had to use it though, using the BUILT IN classic start menu I was still a happy camper.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

did you know that background "Bliss" was a real photo?

No I figure it was edited in some way too. Now my real question is how much did MS pay the photographer for it?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

I was wondering that too. That is something that was never discussed in the video, was the kind and amount of any compensation given to the photographer.

I would guess Microsoft paid him money for the photo. Either that, or they gave him free versions of Windows for life!

--Brian
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

According to current ups policies, their max insurability is $50k per single shipment, and $100k per pallet. That could have changed over the years, but knowing they would include this image with every copy of xp they wanted to give him a one time lump sum for ownership of the image. I'd say if they're willing to pay for the round trip ticket, and possibly lodgings for a overnight stay it's enough to live comfortably for up to a couple years.
»www.ups.com/content/us/e ··· lue.html

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

trparky to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
They talked about the Aero Glass translucent effect in Windows 7 and that many people didn't like it. Myself, I like it and I absolutely hate it that Microsoft ripped it out of Windows 8/8.1.