Search similar:

uniqs
jaseinatl
join:2006-01-17
Atlanta, GA

3 edits

jaseinatl

[Business] Repeated Failures Necessitate Need for Emergency Backup ISP

Though I appreciate the response from a couple of users, the majority of the comments were out of line and not at all what I come to dslreports for. I have asked that this topic be closed. What a terrible waste of time.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

DSL/U-verse?

As you've already discovered, BCI is no more or less reliable than residential service; it's largely just a re-branding, with no caps & static IPs. And none of the business tiers give you anything like a traditional SLA (guaranteed uptime, compensation, etc.) I believe that Comcast's "metro ethernet" does that, but i could be wrong.

And a near-conviction of murder due to the outage?
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to jaseinatl

to jaseinatl
3G/4G/LTE might not be enough to handle the QoS needed for reliable VoIP. That said, if you’re Internet connectivity is important enough that someone could lose their life over it, I recommend the law firm fire you as, evidently, redundant/highly-available Internet connectivity is a life or death matter for them and you have failed to put reasonable measures in place to prevent an Internet outage.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to jaseinatl

Premium Member

to jaseinatl
said by jaseinatl:

Please reply as soon as possible as Comcast is out again today. Recently, a Comcast outage prohibited one of our clients from reaching us and almost resulted in his conviction in a capital murder case. Comcast Business's terrible service could literally have cost him his life.

I understand you are having problems, but that seems to be a bit exaggerated.
I guessing even in the wild west of Atlanta law they wait for the end of the trial to "string'em up", and that a trial, conviction, sentencing, and appeal takes more than a day or two.
Some people even remember how to use the telephone.
If service is so poor, surely a lawyer could help find reasonable grounds to void the contract.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

2 edits

DocDrew to jaseinatl

Premium Member

to jaseinatl
Have you actually called Comcast support about your regular outages? It doesn't sound like it.

When access to resources are CRITICAL, then multiple, independent, and diverse resources are a must. No single points of failure should be allowed.
jaseinatl
Atlanta, GA

jaseinatl to Bink

to Bink
You obviously have never worked in a law firm before. Attorneys are a strange sort. They want everything and don't want to pay for anything. When it comes to situations like this, they get really upset at the time, but tend to calm way down when faced with the outrageous pain in the neck and/or pocketbook they face when implementing any sort of advanced technology. Seriously, getting them to use e-mail reliably is a daily support issue. Old-school attorneys are work of art.
jaseinatl

jaseinatl to tshirt

to tshirt
Thanks for the reply.
I am not sure that your snarky reply is helpful in any way other than to illustrate your general contempt for hyperbole, but I guess that will be obvious to anyone who reads it.

Regardless, in response to your comment, I have revised the offensive content and hope that you can better understand the problem at hand.

Also, we are extremely happy with the service when it works. It's faster than any other ISP and if they could just be more reliable and if they would just implement IPV6, everything would be perfect.

P.S. Criminal defense attorneys, at least in our office, are not experienced in or inclined to "find[ing] reasonable grounds to void [a] contract". That wasn't really my question anyways.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex

This is mainly a user-to-user forum. If you want help, you need to contact Comcast Business Support directly and get an appointment set up as soon as possible

»business.comcast.com/contact

Other than that, we can't help you
jaseinatl
Atlanta, GA

jaseinatl to DocDrew

to DocDrew
Not only have I contacted Comcast Support regarding the issue, I have worked with Comcast Support for hours trying to resolve the issues. I apologize that I didn't mention that fact nor did I mention that I have solved the outage FOR Comcast more than once when construction in the area caused signal loss and Comcast couldn't find it. Much to my chagrin, Comcast Business Tech Support to date has been largely incompetent. In fact, I had to show one tech how to use a NetCat to prove that the signal wasn't reaching my termination point in my office. Needless to say, your comment does not help my situation.
jaseinatl

jaseinatl to Coelispex

to Coelispex
Wow. I am not sure what I have to do to make this more clear. This is not a support issue for Comcast. I have resigned myself to the fact that this issue is not going to be resolved in that manner. I am asking for help with a backup or redundant system suggestion. Though I appreciate your reply, I can't help but feel that you are missing the point.

I will edit the original question to be more specific since it would appear from your comment and Dr. Drew's that I am not asking the question correctly.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by jaseinatl:

I am not asking the question correctly.

You're asking in the wrong forum. This is a Comcast forum between Comcast users. Try the some of the other networking forums:

»Business Connectivity
»VOIP Tech Chat
»Networking
»Other Manufacturers

They will have more experience in what you are trying to do with multiple providers.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US to jaseinatl

to jaseinatl
Having worked in IT for a law firm before I know how they can be, i.e wanting everything for nothing.

We used TW telecom pretty much for all of our primary internet and telco needs, with Centurylink dsl as backup for some remote offices. TW's reliablility was very good from what I remember & whenever we had a problem we had a priority number we could call. Check out their website and let me know if you need a contact to talk to over there to get pricing and more info.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to jaseinatl

Premium Member

to jaseinatl
listening to your story, it looks to me like the only solution would be to dump Comcast as your telephone provider and look to going back to a regular wireline provider like Verizon or whoever serves your area..

maybe, and this would be a bit complicated.. maybe look into going with Vonage Business for the telephone.. since it's VOIP it would run over Comcast.. but.. as a backup you could probably get with a DSL provider for a line and get ahold of a router that has failover capability that could be set to use Comcast or the DSL as the primary line that Vonage uses, and if it detects an outage it would automatically switch over to Comcast.. or vice versa.. although I don't know if Vonage would work doing that.. something to research I suppose..

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

1 recommendation

hortnut to jaseinatl

to jaseinatl
What other HSI providers are there that serve your location would be my first question? And at what speeds and type of services? How many Attorneys, Paralegals, Support Staff and others that need access at all times? Of that group, how many are non-critical?

I am a generalist interested in many things and I have read in this forum and other forums on this site, about failover questions. And within the last few months on more than one occasion, how to handle, what devices/brands to use and so on. But I am in a non-tech position at the moment, so I can not give you specifics. To me it sounds you should have another HSI active and then a device on premises to switch when either HSI goes down.

If someone does not step up and give concrete advice, suggest using this site's search functions to see prior questions an answers. It is not the best search, but it is something. Pay attention to advance search capabilities.

If you have particular issues as to your Comcast problems there is a direct forum here. »Comcast Direct

And I have worked with Attorneys, both Insurance Defense and Plaintiff's Attorneys. They can be strange. I worked many years as a Field Adjuster doing Heavy General Liability and Heavy Auto. I could wait months for something to be done or Plaintiff's Attorney to provide information on a file, after asking repeatedly. Then it would be provided and I would be expected to handle it, as though I had the information the whole time. They were artists in CYA.

Just thought of another thing, on our phone system, we had to rig up some non digital phones that worked on POTS or something similar at one time to work with the PBX. We had a major windstorm in our area and lost power that was out for several days. Even Business Parks took time to come back on line, the storm was that wide spread for us in the PNW. We had to have ability for incoming calls, as Independent Adjusters, we needed to be able to take assignments. That was our business.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to jaseinatl

to jaseinatl
if service is that critical, why don't you talk to Comcast enterprise services? We completely skipped Comcast business and went enterprise because we need near 100% uptime for phones and internet...

we have a dedicated fiber line with 48 phone lines over emulated PRI trunks and EDI line (dedicated internet line) on the same fiber for less then we paid the phone company to get 48 phone lines over 2 T-1's

enterprise services go over dedicated fiber, not HFC so you don't have coax / node problems to worry about
RightHere
Premium Member
join:2003-02-02

1 recommendation

RightHere to jaseinatl

Premium Member

to jaseinatl

If you have nothing more than snarky comments to make, please consider spamming someone at reddit.com.

OP - You should take some of your own advice. You have a crappy attitude for someone that's looking for help from other users here.
System

to jaseinatl

Anon

to jaseinatl
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course