IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

IPPlanMan to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Your carrier knows best

So it's not that data costs way too much. Instead, we have to protect customers from themselves.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Yes, data costs way too much. You'll get no argument from me. I'm not defending what they did; I'm just saying that there are going to be people who won't be able to understand how this works, will use it when they shouldn't, and will then pitch a fit when they get the bill.

One thought, though. If the carriers wanted to extract money from customers by having them go over their caps, wouldn't it make more sense to leave this feature intact? I mean, I spend most of my time on wi-fi, so I don't even come close to hitting my cap, so wouldn't the carrier want to get me to use more cellular data by giving me the chance to use a feature like this? Either I'd go over, or I'd up my plan. From a financial standpoint, turning it off gains them nothing.

Guy12345
@cox.net

Guy12345 to IPPlanMan

Anon

to IPPlanMan
Honestly this isn't so bad. I'm sure they're doing it because most people who see the WiFi signal will assume they aren't using their quota. I wish it were some kind of advanced option we could enable or disable but considering I have 50mbps internet at home, I don't see why I'd ever enable it.