how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buckos2014

@sasknet.sk.ca

[ALL] SHAW quarterly results are in

Hello guys and gals

I checked the shaw site and their results are in. television and SATELLITE subscribers are down but internet and phone subscribers are up. What youv guys think. Go to shaw.ca and investors and news media download their results. Bad or good news.

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Loss:
Cable : 50,377 (2013: 53,402)

Gain
Internet: 15,513 (2013: 13,312)
Phone: 9,426 (2013: 29,975)

They are saturating on the phone now. People switching to VOIP? And WOW, they are losing almost 10,000 cable subs a month!!
--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to buckos2014

Less TV, more Internet. I expect that to happen. They don't have to pay carriage fee's on internet. Internet is (probably?) way more profitable. They might only need to do modest increases to internet fees (because they keep it all) for ever 10000 people that cancel cable.

Carriage negotiation has gotten insane, I expect cableco's to go where the money is (internet).

join:2014-04-08

said by zod5000:

Internet is (probably?) way more profitable.

debatable because they could sell to like almost an infinite number of tv users on a node without congestion but they cant offer high speed internet to that many people or there will be problems...

congested nodes make shaw $$ but give everyone shit service

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to zod5000

Same as cellular.. Now most plans are unlimited minutes and text, and charge extreme rates for data.

I really see this because I always have less than 300 minutes per month.

The money is in the data, and overages
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

spock

join:2012-07-08
reply to xtachx

IMHO it was a bad move not to go into cellular.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

Maybe? It's still expensive to build out a new network. We only have two national networks. Rogers has their own, and Bell/Telus share their network.

You have to spend all that money building out, and you're only get to get a piece of the pie. Look at how hard Wind/Mobilicity struggle (albeit they offered crazy cheap rates).

There is no rush in Canada to build out a new cellular network. It's too expensive and all your going to get is a piece of the pie. It's a touch industry to get into.

xtachx

canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to kevinds

said by kevinds:

Same as cellular.. Now most plans are unlimited minutes and text, and charge extreme rates for data.

I really see this because I always have less than 300 minutes per month.

The money is in the data, and overages

In US, was monitoring my data roaming usage to figure out how much the PPU usage is. a facebook refresh was about $5 without a data plan. This was ridiculous!
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by xtachx:

In US, was monitoring my data roaming usage to figure out how much the PPU usage is. a facebook refresh was about $5 without a data plan. This was ridiculous!

That's why smart people use phones that are unlocked and use sim cards. Grab a pay as you go SIM from a US carrier if your heading south of the border.

xtachx

canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by zod5000:

said by xtachx:

That's why smart people use phones that are unlocked and use sim cards. Grab a pay as you go SIM from a US carrier if your heading south of the border.

Cheaper to use US Roaming. For 4 days I wont need that much data - 150 MB will do. Just need maps + FB + Twitter
--

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

Wind, $15/month unlimited minutes, text, and data in the US

In Canada roaming though, is still crazy expensive
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to buckos2014

I don't disagree that continuing to raise cable prices will continue to result in people cutting the cord.

One of the problems is carriage fees keep going up. Those are the fees a cableco has to pay to the channel owner in order to retransmit the channel to you (the customer). On top of those fee's the channel owners know they have channels lots of people want and channels very few people want. On top of high carriage fees, the also demand carriage requirements. IE if you want this channel you have to bundle it with this channel (allowing the channel owners to collect carriage on their crappy channels as well).

Shaw only owns a small percentage of the channels they transmit. From what I understand it's Bell/Roger's that own the majority of the content out there, so Shaw is at the mercy of the big guns when it comes to carriage.

Where am I going with this? How can cable fees get under control, when the cost of providing those channels keeps skyrocketing as well. It used to be the cableco would do a minor price increase once a year to cover inflation, increases profits etc. Now you have them doing that and trying to cover their increased costs from skyrocketing carriage.

If cableco's can't get their costs under control, then cable bill prices will never get under control. It's not only a Canadian thing either. Carriage negotiations get so bad in the USA that cableco's often have to black out channels at a negotiation tactic (or when terms can't be met).

There's plenty of blame to be had on shaw, but it goes way beyond shaw.

This is why I think the focus will be on internet. Internet is a dumb pipe. There are no carriage fees. You don't have to spend the majority of your revenue on licensing fees. For every $50 they lose on TV revenue, they might only need to add $5 or $10 to internet to cover the difference.

System
reply to kevinds

(topic move) Can't get a better deal

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 1 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Can't get a better deal

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to buckos2014

Re: [ALL] SHAW quarterly results are in

Part of the post that got cut said this:

"What you think Shaw should do?"

I think Shaw should start playing hardball over carriage agreements. I'm willing to live with some blackouts if it gives them a shot at controlling what they pay for carriage, which I would hope would translate as less price increases for us.

I guess the problem is whether or not the masses would support that. I remember when TSN2 and Sportsnet 1 came out. The carriage requirements were high. Sportsnet 1 was really bad. They pulled a bunch of blue jay's games from regular sportsnet to SN1 just to get people to harass their cableco's to add it.

I'd support blackouts if it means giving Shaw some leverage when negotiating carriage fees, but I get the feeling I would be in the minority.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter
reply to buckos2014

Shaw laying off 400. Hiring 100. Trimming operations to avoid duplication.

»www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/···20140414

Article with more details.
»www.calgaryherald.com/business/S···ory.html

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

With fewer people subscribing to cable TV, Shaw has been trying to expand the Internet and mobile side of its business.

What mobile side?
--

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

said by kevinds:

What mobile side?

Wifi hotspots, of course.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by humanfilth:

Are those actually revenue generating?
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by kevinds:

said by humanfilth:

Are those actually revenue generating?

I don't think so. There are so many other free wifi hotspots out there that I can't see it being a deciding factor when someone chooses which ISP to use.

It seemed like a giant waste of money to me. It would be awesome if I could pick up a signal at work, but more times than not, I wait until I get home and use my home connection to download updates or watch videos. I rarely come close to my phones monthly data cap, so I don't really need to use wifi.

I'm still not sure why Shaw spent all that money on the build out. Like you said, I doubt it generates any extra revenue.

join:2014-04-08
reply to kevinds

no, but making 250 and upgrading upload speeds could be! and its not that hard

xtachx

canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to buckos2014

Its a shame that we have to pay for "TV Hogs"'s viewing habits. IF you watch more TV, shouldnt you pay more? (:D just kidding).

Once enough people get rid of cable, I guess shaw can just drop the carriages altogether and go with internet only as an ISP. Kindof like 80 people paying $100 for quality bandwidth with no caps etc vs 100 people with crappy caps and bazillion tV carriages.
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by xtachx:

Once enough people get rid of cable, I guess shaw can just drop the carriages altogether and go with internet only as an ISP. Kindof like 80 people paying $100 for quality bandwidth with no caps etc vs 100 people with crappy caps and bazillion tV carriages.

That has to be the long run goal. No carriage fees with internet, so it's probably a lot more profitable (IE for every dollar a customer pays they must keep more from internet than they do for TV).

I guess there's the other problem. Net Neutrality. In the US Netflix has had to start paying ISPs so their customers get a solid connection to netflix. It almost sounds live reverse carriage to me... lol.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to buckos2014

I'm sure Shaw could do some sort of advertising to generate revenue with their hotspots. Create a homepage one must click "Go" or "I Accept" with advertising on the page.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

At that point, I would stop using them, the hot-spots that require a browser button, I don't use, not worth the effort, except the AHS locations because they have no cellular signal

For un-saved devices that could work
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
reply to buckos2014

I will give Shaw Hot Spots that. They remember your device, so if you tap the wifi button on your phone and a Shaw router is within range, it connects and away you go, almost like connecting to your home router.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

After extensive testing, I have found newer devices get better battery on WiFi than cellular (LTE drains the battery real fast), so I now leave my WiFi on all the time
--

catchingup

@206.51.28.x

said by kevinds:

After extensive testing, I have found newer devices get better battery on WiFi than cellular (LTE drains the battery real fast), so I now leave my WiFi on all the time

newer? That has been the case for most phones for many years.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

I've recently seen someone else post that they only turn WiFi on when needed to save battery... So just putting it out there, that I have tested and found most devices now use less power when WiFi was on

I remember the last phone that I liked would only last an hour or two with WiFi on... haha
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

I leave both Wifi and Data turn offed unless I need it, but my phone is 3 years old (galaxy s2). I would of thought the "searching for wifi" would drain more power than being connected to wifi. IE search functions usually drain more power so if your mobile and going in and out of hotspots you'd drain the battery quicker (allthough not as bad as when you go out of cell coverage, that really sucks back power when your phone keeps trying to find a cell tower to connect too).

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

It was my S II when I first noticed it, leaving the device searching, and connecting when it finds something, uses less power than cellular data,

But if you don't use cellular data regardless, yes, you would get better battery with WiFi off
--