gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

BIOS emulator?

Is there a such thing as that?
I had a HDD that was password protected using the BIOS from an HP laptop. I wasn't able to remove the pwd because the motherboard on that laptop fried. So the laptop screen wasn't working and external video wasn't working either.

Luckily I had another HP of the same model in my office and I was able to remove the pwd by popping that HDD into that good laptop, going into the BIOS and removing the pwd.

Had I not had a laptop of the same model, I don't think I would have been able to recover the data the end user needed from it. Because when you would connect the HDD to another computer via USB adapter, it would ask to reformat the drive.

So I was wondering, is there anything out there that you can use to emulate the BIOS of another computer in order to recover data from a password protected HDD? It would be SO friggin convenient in times like this.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

When I was playing with drive lock I want to say I was prompted for a password on boot to access the drive. I was actually installing the drive in a different machine, not using a USB to drive device.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

1 edit

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

When I was playing with drive lock I want to say I was prompted for a password on boot to access the drive. I was actually installing the drive in a different machine, not using a USB to drive device.

So you're saying that if I were to simply put that drive in the way it is, I may get the option to put the pwd in?

Edit--Just tried that it didn't work.
Edit the sequel---I just put RAM... into the laptop i was trying it on and it worked.
But I assume this will only work on same brand. In other words, HP to HP. Not HP to Dell, etc.