uniqs

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

...which in turn resulted in regional cable operator Comcast not working ver

Umm, Comcast reach virtually every home with a D3 network.
While the speeds haven't yet seen the big bump up the east coast is now getting that probably a matter of a few months off.

So the speeds are available it's the price they don't like, something driven up by the costs imposed by the franchise, high pole fees by city light (a city owned utility) multiple public access channels, studios and production assistance, high franchise fees and taxes on the business all add to that customer bottom line. ie the city could make cable HSI more affordable by not taking such a big chunk for themselves, just as a big chunk of CL expenses are also city induced directly and indirectly.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

For the most part is cost fractions of a penny more to provide 1mbps than it does 1gbps once the equipment is installed.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

And Comcast HSI rates have increase minimally over the years.
People often confuse the rapid rise of CATV (much of it driven by higher content cost on many more channels) as CABLE et al being too expensive.
The other costs I mentioned have been imposed and increased by the cities other needs NOT directly related to actual cable operations, and if they were reduced were possible could balance out some of the future increases in HSI.

But like most previous Broadband initiatives in Seattle this is more about appearing to care, then actually providing solutions.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Skippy25

to Skippy25
"For the most part is cost fractions of a penny more to provide 1mbps than it does 1gbps once the equipment is installed."

Source?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to Skippy25

Premium Member

to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

For the most part is cost fractions of a penny more to provide 1mbps than it does 1gbps once the equipment is installed.

What are you smokin? Maybe for devices in the same room, but not last mile connectivity to large areas and populations.

Maintenance of current service levels as usage goes up becomes pricey on the aggregation of all those 1 Gbps links. How many 1 mbps links vs 1 Gbps links can a 10 or 40 Gbps upstream link support?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to battleop

to battleop
Real world experience and shear logic.
Skippy25

Skippy25 to DocDrew

to DocDrew
You asking me a trick question or is basic division beyond you?

Again. Once the equipment is installed to support the connections it does not matter if the ISP chooses to limit that connection to 1mb or 1gbps. The cost difference between the 2 is fractions of a penny.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

You asking me a trick question or is basic division beyond you?

Again. Once the equipment is installed to support the connections it does not matter if the ISP chooses to limit that connection to 1mb or 1gbps. The cost difference between the 2 is fractions of a penny.

Lets just say both.

Oh great and experienced network guru, please explain your position to one as lowly and ignorant as me. Why is even fractions of a penny to you? Why not less? Why not more? What sort of scale is it fractions of a penny? Who are those pennies going to? Give us some examples so I can understand your amazing insight, real world experience, and undeniable logic. Let me be your student to the promised land of low cost, widely available 1 Gbps network connections.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Skippy25

to Skippy25
So you are senior level employee for an ISP?