spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kerri
@comcast.net

Kerri

Anon

[Speed] Speed Upgrade Question

I'm in the Baltimore area and have had Blast 50mb down 10mb up for a few years. They just upgraded the area for free and I rebooted my modem. A few speed tests now show around 94mb down and still 10mb up. Is that what I should expect? Was there no speed increase on uploads? Not complaining, just curious. Thanks for any responses in advance!

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: Speed Upgrade Question

said by Kerri :

I'm in the Baltimore area and have had Blast 50mb down 10mb up for a few years. They just upgraded the area for free and I rebooted my modem. A few speed tests now show around 94mb down and still 10mb up. Is that what I should expect? Was there no speed increase on uploads? Not complaining, just curious. Thanks for any responses in advance!

Yes, you should be seeing slightly more download though(are you on a 4x4 modem?). The upload stayed the same. Blast has been upgraded to 105/10 in Northeast markets.

Kerri
@comcast.net

Kerri

Anon

I have a SB6121. I just noticed that my computer ethernet is 100/10. So unless I get a wireless card, would I be limited to 100mb downloads regardless of any further speed increases by Comcast? As I said before, my latest speed test showed 94 down, which sounds pretty good. Any further thought?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Kerri :

I have a SB6121. I just noticed that my computer ethernet is 100/10. So unless I get a wireless card, would I be limited to 100mb downloads regardless of any further speed increases by Comcast? As I said before, my latest speed test showed 94 down, which sounds pretty good. Any further thought?

Well, if you want higher speeds you would want to get the SB6121 replaced with a newer model and a better Ethernet adapter.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Kerri

Premium Member

to Kerri
said by Kerri :

You'll wanna get yourself a 10/100/1000 card and go from there. Otherwise, you'll be limited to the speeds you're seeing and less.

Those who have 10/100/1000 cards get much better speeds, anywhere from 105-125/11

Like this: »www.amazon.com/StarTech- ··· ET+CARDS

And you might wanna thing about replacing your modem as well, with one that's 8x4:

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· ola+6141

Or

»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· om+5341j

Both of the modems I've linked to can be found at Best Buy and price matched at Amazon for the best price possible.

Kerri
@comcast.net

Kerri

Anon

Re: Speed Upgrade Question

Thank you. Your responses have been very helpful. As you suggested, I might consider both the new ethernet card and cable modem. The only thing is I'm not a gamer or anything, and 94 down/10 up is probably as fast as I would need for normal internet uploads and downloads. Would you agree?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Kerri :

Thank you. Your responses have been very helpful. As you suggested, I might consider both the new ethernet card and cable modem. The only thing is I'm not a gamer or anything, and 94 down/10 up is probably as fast as I would need for normal internet uploads and downloads. Would you agree?

I hope we've been able to help. And while 94/10 is nothing to sneeze at, if your connection is capable of giving you more once you make these 2 changes, wouldn't you want to do that and rest assured you're getting every penny of your money's worth?

While it is up to you, if I were you, I would want to get every ounce of speed I could for my money's worth.

Do let us know what you decide. If you have more questions or need help, do come back and ask.

Also, might I suggest registering for a free account here, it'll help you keep track of things.
Netkeys
join:2000-12-08
Hollywood, FL

Netkeys to Kerri

to Kerri
I don't think you need to worry about a new modem. The ethernet card is your bottle neck. I had the same problem and once I upgraded the ethernet card I'm now getting 118 with a 4 channel down modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

EG

Premium Member

said by Netkeys:

I don't think you need to worry about a new modem.

FWIW, if they happen to be on a congested local segment, then having twice as many downstream channels would certainly help them get their speeds more reliably / consistantly.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313 to Netkeys

Premium Member

to Netkeys
said by Netkeys:

I don't think you need to worry about a new modem. The ethernet card is your bottle neck. I had the same problem and once I upgraded the ethernet card I'm now getting 118 with a 4 channel down modem.

Yeah, that's why I suggested getting a 10/100/1000 card first and seeing what speeds the OP got then. As for swapping out the modem for an 8x4 model, I talked to the Comcast head of engineering and he said that all 4x4 modems will be going away soon. Probably this time next year all 4x4 or less modems will be gone from the system and it'll be only 8x4, 16x4 and 24x8 modems supported.
sway0004
join:2005-04-29
Surprise, AZ

sway0004

i was wondering, and your post confirms my thoughts as to "do i need a new modem/emta " (SMCD3GNV) as its only a 4x4 capable of 300mbps..so whats the next gen all in one the D3CM1604V or D3G2408W or the D3M1604WV.. and can i just upgrade by going to a comcast center and swap it out?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by sway0004:

i was wondering, and your post confirms my thoughts as to "do i need a new modem/emta " (SMCD3GNV) as its only a 4x4 capable of 300mbps..so whats the next gen all in one the D3CM1604V or D3G2408W or the D3M1604WV.. and can i just upgrade by going to a comcast center and swap it out?

The newer gateways are the TG862, TC8305C, TG852G, and DPC3939(maybe the TC8706 if they're using it).

You'll probably get either of the first three. Most DPC3939s are only through tech install for triple play customers. There's also the DPC3941, but it's probably not released yet.

Yes, you can just go to a Comcast center to replace it.
sway0004
join:2005-04-29
Surprise, AZ

sway0004

0o0oo yeah i would like the dpc3939.. linksys has done well in the past.

Kerri
@comcast.net

Kerri

Anon

Thanks to all who commented. I think I'm going to hold off on the new ethernet card for now. I'm getting a constant download speed of 90-95mbps (blast) and upload speed of 10-12mbps and only 14ms latency. I don't think it's worth the money for new ethernet card just to bump it up to 105mbps. For my purposes, I probably wouldn't notice the very slight speed increase. In a few months I might be thinking of a new computer anyway (this one is 5 years old) and will make sure the ethernet card is gigabit rather than just 10/100.

Also, as someone recommended, I'll also register with this forum. Great information here!

Kerri
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11

The bump would probably actually be to 120, not 105.

Kerri
@comcast.net

Kerri

Anon

Thanks. Didn't realize it would bump all the way to 120mbps (thought the limit was 105). If I replace the ethernet card, should I get an internal one? I read a post that suggested a USB type connection.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Kerri :

Thanks. Didn't realize it would bump all the way to 120mbps (thought the limit was 105). If I replace the ethernet card, should I get an internal one? I read a post that suggested a USB type connection.

The tier is 105, but they over provision it a little bit. Internal is best since USB would be limited by your USB port speed which isn't that good.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to Kerri

to Kerri
I get 120/23 with Extreme. Most get 120, as Comcast over-provisions.

See peoples updates speeds here:
»[Speed] Report Performance 50/5, Blast 105/10 & Extreme 150/20 Here