uniqs
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

believe it when i see it

AT&T abruptly stopped its U-Verse roll-out in our area of NC a couple of years ago when they got only a few thousand subscribers in Greensboro despite a huge marketing campaign.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero

Premium Member

Re: believe it when i see it

Just bought a new house off Jonestown and tried desperately to find someone faster than TWC to service us... no such luck. You realize that just a few miles to our west in Yadkinville they have fiber optic internet - not 1Gbps, but fiber and faster than TWC for less money!

I wish we were in RST territory!
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

RST and mainly Google fiber has them spooked. GF could walk off with the two biggest cities in the state. They are going to have to compete or die like their POTS is doing. Uverse configured like it is today will not make it in the future if somebody can offer much better speeds at the same or lower cost.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

Yep, we even have fiber from the CO to a box at the entrance to our neighborhood (then copper to the homes).

Yet the fastest DSL I can buy is 6MBps down, which coupled with a basic POTS package (only extras are caller ID & call waiting) costs nearly $100/month.
said by WhatNow:

Uverse configured like it is today will not make it in the future if somebody can offer much better speeds at the same or lower cost.