Jason Nealis
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

[TiVo] RCN TiVo Spring Update 20.8

Hello RCN TiVo Subscribers...

Over the next 4 weeks we will be deploying a TiVo Spring Update to all deployed TiVo's, While most of the enhancements are UNDER the hood, it's does provide a foundation for some exciting items in the next few weeks

D.C. and P.A. will Roll Next week. And in this release you will see :

MultiSession VOD Support : Right now you can only have 1 VOD session per multi room deployment. Now under 2.8 you can have multiple. at least 3 VOD sessions streaming. (as long as you have enough Tuners to spare

Slightly Improved Tune times on the Mini's.

What to Watch now will provide more in-depth show details and information including channel number.

C133 Errors have been modified to be less SCARY. So if there is a TiVo Backoffice issue and it creates a C133 error it won't tell you the world is ending..

VOD and Other APPS will continue to work when C133 is happening.

Some HDMI Enhancements and how Mini's reacted when there were HDMI issues. No more Mini Reboots.

Once we get thru the 2.8 upgrade it will Tee things up nicely some very cool enhancements coming down the pipe.

Also Those of you asking about the status of the 6 Tuner (Roamio) type solution, that project is very much in the works. There will be some substancial updates around that and many other exciting items coming in the next couple months...

-Jason
E512N
join:2007-05-22
Chicago, IL

E512N

[TiVo] Re: RCN TiVo Spring Update 20.8

said by rcnman:

Also Those of you asking about the status of the 6 Tuner (Roamio) type solution, that project is very much in the works. There will be some substancial updates around that and many other exciting items coming in the next couple months...

That's great to hear. The Roamio units seem like some really nice upgrades.

I've been holding out for these as my Motorola 6412 box has started to randomly shut down / reboot 1-2 times per day.
tivoNYC
join:2013-11-07
New York, NY

tivoNYC to rcnman

to rcnman
No one does TiVo better than RCN. Multi-Session VOD! The 6-tuner T6/Roamio box with 150 hours of HD (1TB) is THE whole-home DVR. An upsell option with 450 hours of HD (3TB) would be killer.

Thanks Jason. After so many years of TWC it's really a pleasure being an RCN customer.
Dawk2013
join:2013-02-07
Easton, PA

Dawk2013 to rcnman

to rcnman
said by rcnman:

Some HDMI Enhancements and how Mini's reacted when there were HDMI issues. No more Mini Reboots.

Jason. I still have the issue with the minis losing connectivity with the Q unit, once I reboot the mini, it works fine. This is a daily issue. Is what your saying above related to my issue and will be fixed in this release or is that a different issue the mini has ?

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

PM me. lets figure this out and get it fixed.. it shouldn't be doing that!
quattrog
join:2009-03-20
Northampton, PA

quattrog to rcnman

to rcnman

Re: [TiVo] RCN TiVo Spring Update 20.8

Hi Jason, I am a new convert to the Tivo system. I have two questions. One is I was trying to setup season passes on two Showtime shows I watch. It would not let me do it. It stated that there were no shows available in the next two weeks. Which wasn't true as last night was the first new episodes for this new season of these shows.
My nest question, when I first turn on the boxes, it always goes to a screen asking me if I want "my shows" or live tv. Is there a way to get it to always start up on live tv and bypass this screen?

Thanks.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

Please let me know what shows your trying to season pass so I can look into it. Are you sure you have the showtime channels checked off in the MY CHANNELS sub menu? Settings --> Channels

Also, Your talking about the mini, unfortunately it doesn't go right to live T.V. until you invoke it, That way it doesn't steal a tuner if it doesn't need to. That is expected behavior
quattrog
Northampton, PA

quattrog

I was trying to setup a season pass for Nurse Jacky and Californication. Both had season premiers last night. I will have to make sure I have them in My Channels. I manually set Tivo to record them. but could not set up a season pass.
One additional question. Why does it take SOOOOOO long for the guide info to populate on these things? I thought it was long for the Moto boxes. This is just crazy long.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

The update has been deployed in D.C. as of last night

machpost
join:2002-01-11
Washington, DC

machpost

Got the update. It took about 20 minutes to install. Can't wait to see the upcoming enhancements!
NLiveris
join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

NLiveris to rcnman

to rcnman

Hey when can we get channel logos on the guide??

Click for full size
A logical UI enhancement
This feature request looks really nice on DirecTV, Comcast X1/X2, WOW, etc. This is a very logical feature to implement. Tivo does it on their website, mobile apps, etc., with the exception of the actual... TIVO. lol

Anyone know why it's been overlooked for so long?
sbiller1
join:2011-05-25
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

said by NLiveris:

This feature request looks really nice on DirecTV, Comcast X1/X2, WOW, etc. This is a very logical feature to implement. Tivo does it on their website, mobile apps, etc., with the exception of the actual... TIVO. lol

Anyone know why it's been overlooked for so long?

I believe they were there at one point but may have been removed for performance reasons (i.e. to speed up scrolling through the guide). This performance issue probably impacts the older Premiere based boxes more than Roamio.
jhlmsln
join:2005-05-01
Washington, DC

jhlmsln to rcnman

to rcnman

My Update is 20.4. What is 20.8 ?

DC - JHL

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost

said by jhlmsln:

Same here. 20.4. It still seems to be the feature update that Jason is referring to, though.
sbiller1
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

said by machpost:

said by jhlmsln:

Same here. 20.4. It still seems to be the feature update that Jason is referring to, though.

20.4 numbering is consistent with the spring update rolling to retail TiVo boxes.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

Correct, the Cable Code Trees and the Retail ones are "slightly" different, we are on 20.8 which is based off the 20.4 Tree..
rcnman

rcnman to NLiveris

Premium Member

to NLiveris

Re: Hey when can we get channel logos on the guide??

I agree with this... I will file a feature request with TIVo on this..
comp
Premium Member
join:2001-08-16
Evans City, PA

comp to NLiveris

Premium Member

to NLiveris
Direct TV does not have Channel logos in the guide listing
Dawk2013
join:2013-02-07
Easton, PA

Dawk2013 to rcnman

to rcnman

Re: [TiVo] Re: RCN TiVo Spring Update 20.8

said by rcnman:

PM me. lets figure this out and get it fixed.. it shouldn't be doing that!

Since this update, the minis have not lost connectivity with the Q ! Fingers crossed!
quattrog
Northampton, PA

quattrog

I had a problem with one of my minis this morning. I clicked on My Shows and it hung. Couldn't find the Q. I had to power cycle it to get it back. I've only had the Tivo for a week. Hoping it doesn't happen again.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

NY was set to upgrade last night, so many of your NY Based TiVo's are in a pending restart.. If you restart your NY TiVo it will install the update...

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to rcnman

to rcnman

Re: Hey when can we get channel logos on the guide??

said by rcnman:

Would be easier to put a request for the Roamio UI to be implemented onto the Premiere instead.
sbiller1
Tampa, FL

sbiller1

said by Mike Wolf:

said by rcnman:

Would be easier to put a request for the Roamio UI to be implemented onto the Premiere instead.

I believe that's in work. Jason should be able to confirm.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

That is correct.. it's on the radar.. Should hit this year.
rcnman

rcnman

Premium Member

NY Boxes should have all loaded / installed and rebooted on the new firmware.. Only Boston and Chicago left and the stage is set on 2.8

robd
@ptd.net

robd

Anon

Any update on when RCN may roll out Roamio DVRs?
Neiljoshua
join:2012-08-20
Astoria, NY

Neiljoshua to rcnman

to rcnman
Are the Tivo preview boxes going to get the new firmware too?

machpost
Washington, DC

machpost

said by Neiljoshua:

Are the Tivo preview boxes going to get the new firmware too?

Yes.

rcnman
Jason Nealis
Premium Member
Herndon, VA

rcnman

Premium Member

As of today, pretty much every RCN TiVo should be on the new Firmware Stay Tuned
chitrav
join:2003-06-20
Chicago, IL

chitrav to rcnman

to rcnman
Are there any prospects for out of home streaming for those with Tivo Stream boxes?