The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

Password progam that does not requirre you to log in on the internet

I just tried dashlane and lastpass and both required me to log in to store passwords. are there any passwords programs that will keep everything on my computer?

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl

Dont know how secure it is, but works in W7/8/8.1: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ic-logon

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to rfhar

Mod

to rfhar
Keepass free can (although they want you to go the paid internet storage route)
Also roboform (just don't use roboform everywhere).

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to rfhar

MVM

to rfhar
SplashID (not free). Just don't use the online sync service. Comcast offers a full version of Norton Security Suite (free to Comcast subscribers) whose Password Vault is local only.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to rfhar

to rfhar
Roboform ( not free) has local and internet storage (if you want to use it). It also can be password protected locally.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to Midniteoyl

Premium Member

to Midniteoyl
I looked at the windows idea but it does not seem to encrypt the contents.

bluebaron2
Stuff Happens
Mod
join:2001-02-01
North of 44

bluebaron2 to rfhar

Mod

to rfhar
This the kind of thing you're looking for?
»passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

I've been using it for years - generates random character sets of up to 1024 characters and the .Dat file can be stored anywhere you like.

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to seagreen

Premium Member

to seagreen
I bookmark Keepass in my paranoid folder to look at, it may be what I am looking for.
rfhar

rfhar to bluebaron2

Premium Member

to bluebaron2
Ditto om passwordsafe
John_E
Premium Member
join:2004-02-03
Florissant, MO

John_E to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
KeePass v1.xx here since about 2003. Local only and never any issues.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
I use KeePass 2.25.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
said by rfhar:

I just tried dashlane and lastpass and both required me to log in to store passwords. are there any passwords programs that will keep everything on my computer?

To clarify, are you interested in a password storage/protection solution or something that keeps all your passwords and logs you into those sites without having to type them?

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

1 recommendation

OldCableGuy2 to Dustyn

Anon

to Dustyn
I also use KeePass. I have it configured in portable mode on a thumb drive. I also have a portable SCP sync utility on the drive, and sync my kbdx file to my own computer over SSH

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

randavis to seagreen

to seagreen
said by seagreen:

(just don't use roboform everywhere)

Why not?

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen

Mod

The OP asked for a programs that only stores the passwords locally. Roboform everywhere has passwords stored on a server.

Midniteoyl
join:2013-11-22
Knox, IN

Midniteoyl to rfhar

to rfhar
KeePass 2.x and MetroPass or PassKey for Win8 (in store) can be used.. KeePass stores passwords locally only if wanted.. Looks like what you are looking for.
Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl to rfhar

to rfhar
Password Padlock for W8 is also a local database that can be stored on OneDrive if needed (note: OneDrive wasnt vulnerable to Heatbleed )

They also have a free WP8 app if thats important (is for me)
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

1 recommendation

MichelR to rfhar

to rfhar
I've been using KeePass for a few years. I use MiniKeePass on the iPad.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to rfhar

to rfhar
KeePass is all local.

»keepass.info/

I use lastpass for a few sites... the thing with lastpass is although lastpass syncs to a server... the encryption with the password happens locally.... note from »lastpass.com/how_it_works.php
quote:
All sensitive data is encrypted and decrypted locally before syncing with LastPass. Your key never leaves your device, and is never shared with LastPass. Your data stays accessible only to you.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to OldCableGuy2

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy2
I take the portable version around too on a key drive if needed. Initially thought it was complicated and tedious to learn... but after taking the time to trial the program, change every site password by generating unique passwords for each site, it was definitely worth my time and effort. Before KeePass I used the same password across multiple sites.

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

HA Nut to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
I use LastPass 99.9% of the time. But for the handful of things I don't keep there, it's KeePass 1.x for those. (I tried 2.x and found I didn't need anything more than 1.x. So I applied the KISS principle.) It's an excellent program!
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
You did not mention platforms or whether you wanted a free option only.

I'll toss in my votes for KeePass and 1Password

Both allow you to keep your password database local without any server connectivity required.
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

85281231 (banned) to rfhar

to rfhar
Just make all your passwords PassWord1234 No need for a program to help you remember.
siliconman01
Premium Member
join:2005-05-08
Saint Albans, WV

siliconman01 to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
I like Sticky Password which stores passwords encrypted locally or you can use their Cloud.

ZipZap
@belgacom.be

ZipZap to Shady Bimmer

Anon

to Shady Bimmer
Password Depot can do all offline. »www.password-depot.com/

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to rfhar

Premium Member

to rfhar
I've used Password Agent for years. No internet log-on required to use it. You do have to enter a master password to open it up, though.

»www.moonsoftware.com/pwagent.asp

Some features:

* Fast, compact and easy to use program with a familiar interface that's similar to Windows Explorer
* AES-encrypted data files, accessible only with the master password that you choose.
* Store all kinds of textual information you need to keep track of and find quickly -- from passwords and web logins to credit card and passport numbers; from software activation codes to serial numbers and purchase dates of your home electronics -- or any other information you want to write down and keep easily accessible in one secure place.
* The program can work directly from a removable disk or USB flash disk, so no additional installation is needed to use it on other computers. Password Agent even includes the TakeWithMe Wizard which makes it really easy to copy the program, along with your data, to your removable device for easy transport.
* Create your own custom groups/subgroups to organize your entries for quicker, easier access.
* Each account entry consists of Title, UserID, Password, Link, Note, Date Added, Date Modified, Date Expire and Old Password fields. You can also make Note entries that do not have UserID or Password fields. All text fields allow a virtually unlimited length of text, so you can store long memos in the Note field.
* Automatically fill login prompts with required data (each entry is customizable by template).
* Includes a password generator that generates non-guessable passwords.
* Powerful QuickSearch function that allows you to easily display only entries that match a query across all groups.
* Print a hard copy of your database.
* Export your database to HTML (grouped or columnar), XML or CSV. Import entries from other password database programs in CSV format.
* Sort by any column in ascending or descending order, plus you can custom configure which columns are displayed and rearrange their order.
* View/hide sensitive information switch, plus you can configure yourself which data fields you consider sensitive.
* Strong, U.S. government approved AES/Rijndael encryption (256-bit key).
* A password database file that contains 100 entries can be under 10 kilobytes in size! That means small, fast and efficient files.
* Easy to understand, printable User's Manual in PDF format as well as online help.
* Multiple automatic backup files in the local system plus an option to make copies to another location.
* Plus much more...

rfhar
Premium Member
Buicktown,Mi

1 recommendation

rfhar

Premium Member

OK guys, thanks to all of you. I love to have many options to choose from. Keepass seems to be the perfect fit for me. I will be transferring all my sites and passwords to it over the next few days and now I will be able to get them in alphabetic order something I cannot easily do with my word file in 7-zip.