how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grantsa4

join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

[X1-X2] How to upgrade to x2 guide

I am getting installed this Thursday with an x1 Dvr.

I am assuming it will have the standard x1 guide?

If so, how do you upgrade to the x2 guide?

Is there a fee to do it?

novanosis

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1

[X1-X2] Re: How to upgrade to x2 guide

When the tech installs it just ask him to put you on the new guide if already isn't.
Otherwise while watching live tv press exit,exit,9896

grantsa4

Naperville, IL
Awesome. Thanks.

Once you switch, can you go back?

Cheeseman

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

It's not the X2 guide. There will never be a consumer product called the X2 guide. The current guide is the "new guide on X1".

The old guide has yellow outlines and a slight beveled look. The new guide is completely flat with larger fonts and blue outlines.

The same code will switch you between, although since you are getting a new box you will likely start with the new guide and not be able to change it.

grantsa4

Naperville, IL
Ok, cool. Thanks

Cheeseman

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

The other important thing, which I assume is why you said "I am assuming it will have the standard x1 guide", is that none of this software is running on your cable box.

The guide is basically a fancy website, built with HTML/CSS/JS and hosted on a cloud server somewhere. This is different from the iGuide boxes, which are running the blue iGuide software and download and store the listings from the server.

grantsa4

Naperville, IL
I did not realise that. That's pretty cool!

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to Cheeseman
then why does 9896 spell x two?

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
It's an internal code name.

MDA
From Monkey to Man
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Cheeseman
said by Cheeseman :

The same code will switch you between, although since you are getting a new box you will likely start with the new guide and not be able to change it.

You CAN change between the old and new guide even on the new Arris (blue light box with no audio dropouts) X1 DVR. In my opinion, the new guide seems a lot more refined and easy to navigate around so there'd be no reason for me to have to change it.

grantsa4

Naperville, IL
I've just read lots of mixed reviews. Some really like it. Some really dislike, so wanted to know my options after I play around with it for a bit

wolf

@74.121.100.x
The biggest issue is that fixes don't stay fixed & vice versa, in other words it's not stable yet. It's something that can be lived with but I guess that also depends on your expectations.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to grantsa4

Re: [X1-X2] How to upgrade to x2 guide

According to recent posts on the Comcast Support forum, the ability/feature to still use or switch back to the original ("old") X1 guide is being removed this week:

Good news/bad news- x1 Guide is Changing
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Good-ne···/2147462

Your Guide will be converted at the end of this week!!!!
»forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/Your-Gu···/2148274

EDIT: Also an article on the MCN site today about this:

Comcast Goes Wide With X1 Upgrade
Refreshed UI Becomes The De Facto Experience For All X1 Subs

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - May 6, 2014
»www.multichannel.com/news/techno···e/374371

MDA
From Monkey to Man
Premium
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by telcodad:

According to recent posts on the Comcast Support forum, the ability/feature to still use or switch back to the original ("old") X1 guide is being removed this week

I would say this is a good change. The new menu is definitely the more futuristic theme that X1 needs and the menu is transparent so if you want to double take before switching to another channel, the guide isn't totally blocking out the picture.

It's starts at the bottom of the screen like it was on the old STB's so it should be a familiar change for most people.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
You can also hit the "b" button and the current channel will overlay in the bottom right corner. It blocks some information, but nothing terribly important for most people.

cheeseman

@68.87.42.x
The big issue is something that broke in the last update.

On for you/recorded programs, one press of INFO gave you the command bar, and the second brought up a modal window with the program description.

You can no longer see the program description. The second info press does nothing.

corgi11

join:2013-09-30
reply to grantsa4
Dead Issue, Comcast rolling out new guide for all areas with no way to go back. Chicago north suburbs converted today.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
reply to grantsa4
I think it looks amazing. These new features that are coming to the new look are just sweet (live tiles especially).

See video here:
»corporate.comcast.com/news-infor···features