spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: [Networking] New MOCA 2.0 adapters finally coming next week. Wish me luck! :)

Very cool. This splitters are rated for MoCA 2.0 which I think means it can support even higher frequencies.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to nothing00

MVM,

to nothing00
Very strange... Just curious - where were the two Hitrons on the splitter? Was one the "In" and the other on an "out"? Did you try putting both on "out" ports?

Depending on how to splitter is manufactured, you may get different results (due to RF isolation as pointed out earlier).

But I suspect that it probably won't make much of a difference - their hardware needs some work.
BobJustBob
join:2014-03-04

BobJustBob to itpromike

to itpromike
quote:
According to »www.mocalliance.org/MoCA_2/ you can run them on the same coax and still get 2.0 performance:

No nonsense backward compatibility!

MoCA 2.0 nodes interoperate with 1.0 or 1.1 nodes on the same network.

MoCA 2.0 capable nodes communicate in MoCA 2.0 mode when talking to MoCA 2.0 devices even when legacy devices are present in the network.
Hi folks, can anyone verify that this is true? I ran into this issue of backwards compatibility today when I got my FiOS "triple play" installed. I planned on installing Actiontec ECB2500C ethernet over coax adaptors (I got the two adaptor kit »tinyurl.com/ko5lbvz from Amazon) in my network to hardwire a ROKU 3 streaming media player and a computer in separate nodes in order to get the highest throughput. When the FiOS tech saw me getting ready to install the adaptors he stopped me, claiming that since the FiOS stb's and DVR's are now MoCA 2.0, installing these MoCA 1.1 adaptors in the network would cause the entire network to "dumb down" (his exact words). Since I am new at this home networking stuff, I assumed he knew what he was talking about and did not install the adaptors. I was a little upset thinking I had bought a pair of $120 paperweights! But if it is true that MoCA 2.0 devices are backward compatible than I should be able to go ahead and install the Actiontec adaptors, right? Any insight you guys can add would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Telcoguru
Premium Member
join:2005-08-22
Fresh Meadows, NY

Telcoguru

Premium Member

Fios is currently using Moca 1.1 at this time. It allows for 16 addresses which includes the router.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

I've been hearing that most of the new set top boxes that are being rolled out are MoCA 2.0 but that since the routers and ont are still MoCA 1.1 that without replacing both of those and getting all new boxes (which is in and of itself difficult) any improvement is lost. Hell, there are still customers with less then 7 devices and lower tiered internet that are still on MoCA 1.0 devices and don't even know it. Without a way of getting all customers to swap out their equipment for MoCA 2.0, and a way to actually have enough MoCA 2.0 equipment to swap out with, and a plan as to what to do with the "old" MoCA 1.1 equipment, and a way for Verizon to not go bankrupt in the process thus turning it on the customer by raising prices, all of this will have to happen extremely slowly. I mean at least with the way Verizon is pushing MPEG4 thus making older equipment obsolete, they can use it as a valid excuse to get new equipment into the customers hands. One of the most difficult things a service provider has to deal with is forcing new technology to their customers without alienating them enough to cancel in the process.
BobJustBob
join:2014-03-04

BobJustBob to itpromike

to itpromike
Thanks, guys. It sounds like I can go ahead and install the Actiontec MoCA network adaptors in my network without worrying that it will degrade the performance of the MoCA 2.0 stb and VMS (DVR).

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

Just curious - where were the two Hitrons on the splitter? Was one the "In" and the other on an "out"? Did you try putting both on "out" ports?

They were both on the "out" ports.

Still have to connect to them and check out any status/diag pages.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to itpromike

Premium Member

to itpromike
I setup my MoCA 1.1 Actiontec ECB3500T01 with the four GigE ports. This is definitely what I needed. I now have no speed issues with multiple transfers to my TiVo desktop PC from my TiVos over MoCA since I'm not limited to a 100Mbps Ethernet connection any more. I was seeing speeds exceeding 225mbps when doing concurrent transfers using the GigE port.

I also replaced my 8-way 1Ghz splitter with a 1.2Ghz splitter. Since I had been using 1150Mhz for MoCA.

I did notice that the listed TX/RX PHY rates are a little higher. With the 1Ghz splitter the five nodes were showing rates between 235Mbps and 270Mbps. Now with the 1.2Ghz splitter the five nodes are showing rates between 265Mbps and 290Mbps.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to itpromike

to itpromike
I think we lost Mike (OP).

Was hoping to hear more of his experience.

Tobin
join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA

1 edit

Tobin to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Very cool. This splitters are rated for MoCA 2.0 which I think means it can support even higher frequencies.

»www.hometech.com/hts/pro ··· rom.html

I had HomeTech special order me some of these Holland splitters a few weeks ago, so now they have them in their system. All the usual features are accounted for like -130 EMI shielding, soldered back, etc. Significantly less expensive than going with the Verizon branded PDI splitters, plus they have balanced/unbalanced 3-ways and 8-ways.

--

It's a shame MoCA 2.0 adapters really aren't out in the wild and the HT-EMs you guys managed to acquire don't seem to work right. I've been wanting to get some to help extend my wireless footprint and had previously e-mailed Hitron America about getting a few with no response.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to aaronwt

to aaronwt
If you are still looking for MoCA 2.0 products, checkout the new Actiontec wireless bridges. »www.actiontec.com/330.html Which the wireless can be turned off and it has gigabit Ethernet.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00

said by Mike Wolf:

If you are still looking for MoCA 2.0 products, checkout the new Actiontec wireless bridges.

Interesting.

I think you meant to link this: »www.actiontec.com/329.html

Unfortunately it's yet another case of MoCA 2.0 unobtanium.

Nice that it supports bonding. Hope to find a product that also supports the two node "turbo" mode as well.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ah I see, one supports bonding the other doesn't. I didn't catch that.