join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

[H/W] Selling old gear

Click for full size
Click for full size
Ok so I'm going to finally sell my old cisco gear

3745 w/ all 4 power supplies (2x main and 2x inline (IE they enable POE if you have a POE etherswitch in it)) 2x VPN-AIM, max ram, max flash (both CF cards), NM-1GE, copper GBIC

also a spare 3745 Chassis w/ 2x VPN-AIM, no Power supplies, internal flash only

(with these two you could make 2 usable 3745's)

a 2651 (max ram and max flash)

and 2x 2924M-XL

Back when I bought my 3845 I had hoped to maybe get $800 for the old stuff but I guess the value has dropped a bit, so any estimate on what I can sell the old gear for?

last I checked it all works (but its been along time since the 2924M-XL's have had power)
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

2920, really? Donate them to a local museum. They aren't worth their scrap metal.

3745, maybe $100 if you put a PS in it. The one with the inline power would be worth something if the ESW was in it. Pull those PSes and sell them individually. (The memory and flash they use are dirt these days. My was populated from my trash heap.)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well with the power supplies someone could make 2 working 3745's out of them
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

ya know what, do you think the KVM pictured here
»Home network updated

would be worth selling?
just thinking ATM I only have 2 servers so a 16 port KVM is a bit wasted and doesn't give me anything interesting for it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
What about if I sell it as a lab kit?
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

And toss in a wic-DSU-T1
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Sniff around ebay for recently sold items. A WIC-DSU-T1 (v1?) is worth less than USPS shipping. (a v2 is about 25$) The 2924's are just junk, esp. when 3550's run less than $50. (I got one for free in a stack of fibre switches.)

The real elephant in the room is shipping. Those things are massive.
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba

MVM

Can you donate them to local CCNA students or any local donation center?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by aryoba:

Can you donate them to local CCNA students or any local donation center?

I could but I want money.

I had been hoping to get a DL580G5 off ebay for $189+shipping but the listing ended and he's not relisting (would have been more than double the CPU power for the home ESXi)

I'm thinking now maybe 400-600 for the whole lot (ya the 2924's are junk but could be handy for someone to make a little ccna lab and with all the parts they'd have 2 switches and 3 routers, sounds like a nice lab IMO)
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

Maybe you can then sell to local people or to those who are willing to do local pickup to avoid high shipping cost

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

A WIC-DSU-T1 (v1?) is worth less than USPS shipping.

I looked and don't see a V1 or V2 on it
it does have a loopback button on it
but I was thinking just pop it in one of the 3745's so it'd just hitch a ride with the rest.

any idea on the weight of the bundle of stuff to figure shipping?
I did e-mail a local community college that has a cisco program to see if they might buy it all from me.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
said by aryoba:

Maybe you can then sell to local people or to those who are willing to do local pickup to avoid high shipping cost

Ya I'm thinking I'll try that before e-bay.
oh btw you can't tell but it all has rack ears

and I think I'll toss in a few other rack items I'm not using
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC

cramer to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
No "V?" would be a V1. I think a 3700 will drive it.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

k, so I'm just going to toss it in wic0 and whoever end up with the stuff will have it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
said by cramer:

3745, maybe $100 if you put a PS in it.

well I'm not going to sell my NME-16ES-1G-P's but just wondering might I get more if I buy a ES or ESW and put it with it?

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

said by cramer:

3745, maybe $100 if you put a PS in it.

well I'm not going to sell my NME-16ES-1G-P's but just wondering might I get more if I buy a ES or ESW and put it with it?

Maybe, but sometimes the cards go for more than the routers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-N ··· adbec2dd

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

»www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-3 ··· 33838a74

$40

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well that one doesn't list specs at all it could have the 48v DC power supply making it unusable for most.

what I'm looking to sell is maxed out

I mean look at that listing, not "sh ver", no amount of ram, no IOS ver, no flash amount (might not even have the MB)

and mine is loaded with c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin (which I checked and its the latest IOS for the 3745) and the latest Rommon
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

btw heres the sh ver from the 3745
quote:
Cisco IOS Software, 3700 Software (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25d),
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: »www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 18-Aug-10 08:18 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 minute
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25d.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
Http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

Cisco 3745 (R7000) processor (revision 2.0) with 499712K/18432K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JMX0809L3LB
R7000 CPU at 350MHz, Implementation 39, Rev 3.3, 256KB L2, 2048KB L3 Cache
2 FastEthernet interfaces
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity disabled.
151K bytes of NVRAM.
125440K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash (Read/Write)
125952K bytes of ATA Slot0 CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x101
um wait a sec might have to check that NM-1GE again (might not be fully in after blowing the dust out, I've had some issues with NM's not going quite all the way in)

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

just wondering might I get more if I buy a ES or ESW and put it with it

You assume that someone buying the router even wants any modules at all, let alone the ones you think you should put in it. As sk1939 said, modules sometimes go for more than the routers themselves, so likely all you'd end up doing would be price yourself out of a sale from anyone who just wants a bare bones box. If youre going to sell any modules that have any value, sell them separately.

Software is also somewhat irrelevant. Corporate and telco buyers likely have qualified software versions that they must use based on their own internal testing. You could sell it with the latest bleeding edge IOS, but they might delete it anyway and downgrade to their own image.

My employer uses images that are several releases behind the latest version, simply because bleeding edge is not always the best place to be.

Anyone can find an illegitimate place to download the latest IOS/ROMMON versions, so its not a selling point. Put the routers up selling them based on their hardware config. Price them middle ground compared to other pricing you can find and see what happens. No one can guarantee you'll sell it.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba

MVM

said by TomS_:

You assume that someone buying the router even wants any modules at all, let alone the ones you think you should put in it.

The kind of gears OP is selling most likely will not attract businesses, corporations, and CCNA candidates. Instead the gears may attract CCNP candidates, hobbyists, self-employed consultants, or CCNA training camp administrators that feel adventurous in testing various modules and connectivity. These adventurous people may or may not like modules; so it will be hit or miss.
said by TomS_:

As sk1939 See Profile said, modules sometimes go for more than the routers themselves, so likely all you'd end up doing would be price yourself out of a sale from anyone who just wants a bare bones box. If youre going to sell any modules that have any value, sell them separately.

Sell all of them including the most and least expensive gears and modules may attract more buyers. Sell them separately may cause the least wanted gears (the 2x 2924M-XL) not to be sold at all.
said by TomS_:

Software is also somewhat irrelevant. Corporate and telco buyers likely have qualified software versions that they must use based on their own internal testing. You could sell it with the latest bleeding edge IOS, but they might delete it anyway and downgrade to their own image.

My employer uses images that are several releases behind the latest version, simply because bleeding edge is not always the best place to be.

Those adventurous people might love to get rich-featured IOS images. Even if the people did not need such images, selling gears with attractive IOS image version will not hurt.
said by TomS_:

Anyone can find an illegitimate place to download the latest IOS/ROMMON versions, so its not a selling point.

I have always been a good boy (and kind of old school) not even try to look for illegitimate source of IOS/ROMMON image. God knows the condition of those images; they may contain malware
said by TomS_:

No one can guarantee you'll sell it.

Nothing after all is truly guaranteed

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Corporate and telco buyers

I would think most of them would be buying new or atleast not 3 gen old gear (IE current is the 3900e, then the 3900, then the 3800)
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to aryoba

Premium Member

to aryoba
said by aryoba:

I have always been a good boy (and kind of old school) not even try to look for illegitimate source of IOS/ROMMON image. God knows the condition of those images; they may contain malware

BTW the images on this are all from cisco, and not illegitimate.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_ to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
Not everyone buys brand new gear for everything.
TomS_

TomS_ to aryoba

MVM

to aryoba
said by aryoba:

may cause the least wanted gears (the 2x 2924M-XL) not to be sold at all.

I would not even waste my time trying to sell a 2900XL these days. I wouldnt even accept one if someone offered to pay me to take it from them. Rip the circuit board out, bin it, and take the sheet metal to a scrap yard or use it around the hosue somewhere. The power supply is probably useful for an electronics lab or something.

condition of those images; they may contain malware

Its not difficult to verify that the image has not been tampered with. Use the feature navigator to find the image you have or want to download, grab the MD5 checksum, compare. Its not rocket science.
aryoba
MVM

aryoba to TomS_

MVM

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Not everyone buys brand new gear for everything.

There are small businesses that buy used network gears for their production network due to attractive price. These used network gears most likely will not be eligible for Smartnet contract however. So when things go wrong, these businesses either go to local Cisco shops for support, simply buy replacements (similar used gears), or call up Cisco TAC support using identical gears with different serial numbers

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

I would not even waste my time trying to sell a 2900XL these days.

For someone looking to learn it'd be fine, it could work just fine for a lab, but sure its likely running IOS 11 and thus the syntax is a bit different.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Go to ebay and search for 2924M and see what kind of prices these things go for.

I can see some for sale for as little as £8 a pop and they dont have a single bid on them. Thats probably about the cost of two coffees - but I dont drink coffee so I dont know how much a cup of that stuff is.

By the time you sell it and someone like ebay takes their cut(s) (depending on how many times you have to list it before it sells), package it, and ship it (and at that price shipping will be more expensive) youve already wasted more than £8 of your time and other resources. You would litterally be better off giving it away.

If that doesnt demonstrate how practically worthless these things are, then I dont know what will. By all means give it away to someone who wants it for a lab, but IMO trying to sell it is above all else a waste of time.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

That's why toss it in with the other stuff, ya no one LOOKS for a 2924M-XL any more but it would sweeten the auction of the 3745