All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LarcyBrown
join:2014-04-12

LarcyBrown

[Internet] Comparing the cellpipe7130 to the netgear nighthawk

Hiya people, so ive been trying to compare the fibe 25 cellpipe 7130 modem to the netgear nighthawk to see if it would be worth to buy the nighthawk. Saw this really cool publicity about the nighthawk modem earlier this week, the purchase has been on my mind, it has a lot of positive reviews.

I know so far cellpipe 7130 is 75$ worth while the nighthawk is 200$.

Dont know much else actually...dont wanna waste the money we do have multiple devices using wifi at our home and i know i cant play league while there watching videos on youtube on the laptop...

Anyone know the full specification list for the cellpipe 7130, or maybe can be kind enough to make a comparison chart
hogtownhog
join:2013-08-23
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

The Cellpipe is OLD. Only 100Mb/s cabled and 802.11 b/g wifi.
secotton
join:2005-03-30
North York, ON

secotton to LarcyBrown

to LarcyBrown
The CellPipe is very weak for wireless - I had one up until about a month ago. It's capped to about 10 - 14Mb down due to inherent wifi issues it has. If you're on a plan with any greater than 10Mb down, you'll see a huge improvement with just about any decent wireless router.

Not knowing your setup, you'll probably need to keep your CellPipe however as the netgear is simply a wifi router - it has no modem capabilities to the looks of it. There's only two other units that could replace the CellPipe - the Sagemcom (which has poor wifi as well), or the SmartRG used by some reselling Bell's DSL service such as TekSavvy.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to LarcyBrown

to LarcyBrown
Nighthawk is not a modem.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to LarcyBrown

MVM

to LarcyBrown
The cellpipe is not standard equipment anymore on Bell 25 meg service. The Sagemcom or Connection Hub is standard now. Soon to be replaced as I have heard rumours...what service is using the Cellpipe?
hogtownhog
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog

said by Glen1:

The cellpipe is not standard equipment anymore on Bell 25 meg service. The Sagemcom or Connection Hub is standard now. Soon to be replaced as I have heard rumours...what service is using the Cellpipe?

Two new VDSL modems are coming out in the summer.

silentfury
join:2002-06-18
Toronto

silentfury

Can you give us any non-classified details? Specifically, can one of them do proper bridge mode?
phily316
join:2006-01-31
Montreal, QC

phily316 to LarcyBrown

to LarcyBrown
One is white, the other is black.
hogtownhog
Toronto, ON

hogtownhog to silentfury

to silentfury
said by silentfury:

Can you give us any non-classified details? Specifically, can one of them do proper bridge mode?

No one knows anything except, as mentioned, one is white and one black. I doubt that bridge mode is supported since it only makes it more complicated setting up the modem for the less techy and it's used by, probably, no more than 2% of customers.
LarcyBrown

1 edit

LarcyBrown to lowping

to lowping
I tough in the publicity i saw it said something about replacing your provider modem as well, was that wrong?

Eum i believe there is a difference between router and modem but i have no idea what that is. Phone line cable goes directly in netgear nighthawk or am i just clueless on that x.x?

I just researching info preparing wifi equipement before smash bros 4 comes out,
LarcyBrown

LarcyBrown to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
I have the same cellpipe7130 for almost 4 years now, not sure i should complain speed test says connection is indeed 25/10.

Currently i am one of those guys paying 122$ taxe included for internet. I saw this other company offering vdsl2 with bell network for 70$ taxe included with unlimited download.installation is 100$ tough for new account.

You have to have the modem with this other company tough...
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to hogtownhog

to hogtownhog
We all start training on them next week, might have some non-classified details then. But as hogtownhog said so far all we have to go by is a picture in an email we received.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to LarcyBrown

to LarcyBrown
said by LarcyBrown:

I tough in the publicity i saw it said something about replacing your provider modem as well, was that wrong?

Eum i believe there is a difference between router and modem but i have no idea what that is. Phone line cable goes directly in netgear nighthawk or am i just clueless on that x.x?

I just researching info preparing wifi equipement before smash bros 4 comes out,

You have the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000), right ?

Your Nighthawk only has 4 Lan ports and 1 Wan port... You don't have a Coax nor a RJ11 port.

So you'll still need a modem infront of your router.
LarcyBrown

3 edits

LarcyBrown

If i still need the modem then forget it, im not paying 75$ for bell modem 200$ for the night hawk AND 100$ activation to go to netfox to lower my monthly bill from 122$ to 70$, not worth!

Whats the exact non return fee for the cellpipe anyways from bell, anyone knows?
EDIT: so about 86$ tax included, i was able to find out.

So my conclusion is 186$ fee to move from bell to that Netfox company, i have to consider dry loop fees as well bleh...
Then 200$ to get nighthawk to have epicness
status on my wifi, errr ill think about it, thanks for the help everyone.