Search similar:

uniqs

alex5908
join:2010-10-11
York, ON

alex5908

Shall I exchange DCP 3825 to CGN2?

Hi there,
I was told Rogers will install CGN2 modem. The technician came yesterday and installed a modem. I did not check it at once and found out that it is DPC 3825 modem only when the techician left my place. Should I exchange DCP to CGN2?
I was watching paid IPTV channels and the picture started to jerk and drag. Very annoying. I disconnected the modem power and put it back in. After this there was no problem with the picture. Is it a bad sign?
Another question. I read here in the forum that if you use modems with built-in router Rogers will have access to anything including the access to your credit cards information. Is it really true? I understand that they will not use it but still...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

2 edits

mozerd

MVM

Keep the CISCO DPC3825. Its far better than the CGN2.
said by alex5908:

I read here in the forum that if you use modems with built-in router Rogers will have access to anything including the access to your credit cards information. Is it really true?

Legally Rogers are not allowed to access your private information consequently they will not access your credit cards info if that info is stored on your computer that connected to the DPC3825 in Gateway mode. If they had some rogue employee who wanted to access your private info that person could and that is the risk you take when using a Rogers Gateway. To avoid that remote possibility its best to place the Gateway [DPC3825] in BRIGE mode and then connect a good quality router like the Netgear R6300 to the DPC3825 so that your computers [devices ] can access the internet etc. In Bridge mode Rogers will not have any access to your Local Area Network due to the type of protection a device like the R6300 provides.

The Router that's built-in to the DPC3825 is not very good -- in actual fact its terrible -- lots of issues -- so placing it in Bridge mode and attaching a good quality router like the one I mentioned above will provide a far greater level of satisfaction when trying to exploit the internet for all activities.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Glad to see a member with technical expertise FINALLY posted this well kept secret for all the world to see.

Hoping every one of Rogers 6,000 employees can resist the urge to go snooping is a stretch. Gateways with Rogers issued firmware need to be outlawed.

Rogers ability to force us to use Gateways that, by their very design, allow Rogers access to our home networks and the data within puts our very lives and financial security in jeopardy.

These Gateways have nothing to do with Rogers ability to support their hardware BUT have everything to do with Rogers having access to ALL areas connected to Rogers network INCLUDING access to your most valued personal data.

I submit 90% of Rogers customers have no idea what 'Bridgemode' is let alone how to enable it. Time for the Feds to step in on this issue. Personal data security is a legitimate reason for the CRTC or Privacy Commissioner to ban these 'keys to the bank' devices.

And Thanks Mozerd for validating what I've been saying for the past few years...............

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

The Router that's built-in to the DPC3825 is not very good -- in actual fact its terrible -- lots of issues -- so placing it in Bridge mode and attaching a good quality router like the one I mentioned above will provide a far greater level of satisfaction when trying to exploit the internet for all activities.

qft.

The router in the DPC3825 is awful. Just awful. It has strangely low timeout periods for TCP session and they can't be tuned. Nothing says awesome like opening an SSH session to a server you're managing only to have it timeout reset when you come back form a coffee break because the Router has decided your perfectly good session needs to be "cleaned up".

Making matters worse, the wireless "performance" on the DPC3825 is as bad as it gets.

The only thing the DPC3825 is good for is putting in bridge mode. It is generally an excellent cable modem.

That said... as a cable modem, my personal experience with the CGN2 is that it's about as good. I've never had any issues on my line with a CGN2 in bridge. Mileage may vary and some people have issues with the CGN2 keeping steady connection from what I understand. It may be a little temperamental if your signal levels aren't optimal.

Also to the OP, as Mozer pointed out while Rogers "shouldn't" access your LAN if you use one of their devices in gateway mode, they definitely CAN do so. In security, "can = "will" and this should be dealt with. Bridge it, get your own router.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Gateways with Rogers issued firmware need to be outlawed.

It is not a firmware issue. It's hardware and the fact that the gateway features of these modems give access to an employee the information on the home LAN.

Regardless though, you will still need a decent knowledge of computer networks, security and where to look for the information. Just having access to the LAN doesn't guarantee the information on a silver platter.

But again, firmware, original or changed, does not matter. Rogers has full access to bridge-only modems as well on TPIA. This how DOCSIS was actually designed. They can get it to the modem and see signal levels, reboot it after a FW upgrade or speed upgrade, etc.

It's done using SNMP, a standard remote protocol. Nothing do with changing the firmware.

alex5908
York, ON

alex5908

Do you mean to say that Rogers have an access to our personal info EVEN in bridge mode too?

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

No, in bridge mode they would not (it last not easier) because they don't have access to the LAN configuration. They would see the MAC address of your router though.

And once again, just having access to home LAN configuration doesn't automatically mean the agent actually knows how get further into one of the computers or would know how to retrieve information like banking information.

It's not like people keep a notepad or word document of their debit card/usernames and passwords (some really silly folk perhaps), but in general practice. It's not as simple as the FUD and fear mongering in this thread make it out to be.

alex5908
York, ON

alex5908

I can't have the modem in Bridged mode. If I do this I lose the net connection. Rogers asked me to replace the modem but I doubt that will help. Has anybody come across the same prob?

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Well, if the modem works connected directly to the PC then the issue is not with the modem but with the router. That is DEFINITE.

Sounds like you're a rookie (that's okay ) at this so your only option may be (a) find the router user guide on the Net and study it thoroughly or (b) replace the router.

My bet is the Router settings have not been set up correctly or you have a bad Ethernet cable/connection or are simply using the wrong ports on the back of the router..

Also: Boot up order:

Modem first: let it come online then router: let it come online, then PC etc.

alex5908
York, ON

alex5908

said by elitefx:

Well, if the modem works connected directly to the PC then the issue is not with the modem but with the router. That is DEFINITE.

The router was working fine with Motorola modem and it works OK with DCP in router mode.
I used to have the problem as follows. I could not connect with the WRT 54G and Motorola modem and called Techsup. They did something and it started to work. Then in a year or two I had another issue (slow speed which was rectified) and they told me connect to the modem directly (without a router) to open a ticket and I could not as the connection was lost. I think it's part of the same problem.
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to elitefx

to elitefx
I find it strange that mozerd believes that having a DPC3825 over a CGN2 in bridge mode is going to help a user protect the data passed through the network.

It makes absolutely no difference whether you're using a modem-router combo or a stand alone modem in this situation. I'm very curious to know what reference you have to come up with these ideas. Any packet that is passed through Rogers network can be monitored regardless of if a user is using their own router or the router on a modem-router combo.

While I do agree that the modem-router combos that Rogers currently issues as an MSO leave less to be desired, misleading less technically competent readers on BBR into thinking that all they need to do to be fine is put the modem in bridge mode, get a router and all will be good is outright internet trolling at its finest.

Regards,

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by arthurwinslo:

I find it strange that mozerd believes that having a DPC3825 over a CGN2 in bridge mode is going to help a user protect the data passed through the network.

It makes absolutely no difference whether you're using a modem-router combo or a stand alone modem in this situation. I'm very curious to know what reference you have to come up with these ideas. Any packet that is passed through Rogers network can be monitored regardless of if a user is using their own router or the router on a modem-router combo.

While I do agree that the modem-router combos that Rogers currently issues as an MSO leave less to be desired, misleading less technically competent readers on BBR into thinking that all they need to do to be fine is put the modem in bridge mode, get a router and all will be good is outright internet trolling at its finest.

Regards,

Not sure where you got this idea but that wasn't what mozerd was suggesting at all...
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo

Read his first post in the thread.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Pretty harsh arthurwinslo.

What we need here is solid input on how to keep Rogers out of our home networks. NOBODY considers the end user side of the modem 'Rogers' network. That's our private domain. Rogers has no business in there.

ALL input is appreciated. Discussions like this keep folks aware that these problems/issues do exist.

I called in to Rogers back awhile using a connection issue as a test. The CSR said "Let me check". Then he said " I can't see past your modem". I thought "Mission accomplished. My network is secure from Rogers snooping".

Living proof a standalone Cisco modem and my TPLink TL-WR1043ND router was keeping Rogers at bay. The CSR's statement clearly proves that Rogers CAN see past the modem (to what extent we don't know for sure) under normal circumstances with a Gateway connected.
Expand your moderator at work

alex5908
York, ON

alex5908 to elitefx

to elitefx

Re: Shall I exchange DCP 3825 to CGN2?

said by elitefx:

Also: Boot up order:

Modem first: let it come online then router: let it come online, then PC etc.

WTH?! I changed the settings to Bridged mode, shutdown the PC, removed the power from DPC and WRT, powered DPC, then WRT and started Windows. Now everything is fine (without hard resetting of the router). All is well that ends well.
Thanks a lot.
alex5908

alex5908 to elitefx

to elitefx
said by elitefx:

I called in to Rogers back awhile using a connection issue as a test. The CSR said "Let me check". Then he said " I can't see past your modem". I thought "Mission accomplished. My network is secure from Rogers snooping".

Sorry, I did not quite get it. What have you done to accomplish this?

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

It was just a little experiment I ran to see how much of my network was visible to Rogers at that specific time. It's like anything else. You keep digging till you get to the truth.

The way Rogers is so fanatical about us using their Rogers issued Gateways makes me wonder what the hell is really going on with these things...............
afterburn999
join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

said by elitefx:

It was just a little experiment I ran to see how much of my network was visible to Rogers at that specific time. It's like anything else. You keep digging till you get to the truth.

The way Rogers is so fanatical about us using their Rogers issued Gateways makes me wonder what the hell is really going on with these things...............

Ok you have me paranoid now. I'm going to be switching to Rogers 150 hybrid fibre plan, what modem do I need to get so I`ll be able to run in bridge mode and let my router handle everything else?

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

said by afterburn999:

Ok you have me paranoid now. I'm going to be switching to Rogers 150 hybrid fibre plan, what modem do I need to get so I`ll be able to run in bridge mode and let my router handle everything else?

I'm still running Express 25/2. Hopefully one of the power users here will be able to give you your options. If you need to buy a new router the new wireless 'ac' models are looking pretty good. Depends on your cash limit.
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan to afterburn999

to afterburn999
Because Rogers increased upload speeds on all packages, any new Hybrid Fibre package starting from 30/5 will require Hitron CGN3 gateway.

So you will need to switch to Hitron CGN3 in order to get new 150/15 plan.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to afterburn999

Premium Member

to afterburn999
said by afterburn999:

said by elitefx:

You need to use a CGN3 for 150/15 - but you can put it in bridge mode once the firmware updates to 4.2.4.3 or later and use your own router.
afterburn999
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

said by SimplePanda:

said by afterburn999:

said by elitefx:

You need to use a CGN3 for 150/15 - but you can put it in bridge mode once the firmware updates to 4.2.4.3 or later and use your own router.

Awesome just called them told them I was cancelling and they gave me 150/15 with 550GB for 55% off. End up paying $65 after taxes for 2 years. As good as Teksavvy has been this is a great deal for me. Great speeds + Reasonable cap + Decent Pricing is all I ever wanted from Rogers.
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by afterburn999:

Awesome just called them told them I was cancelling and they gave me 150/15 with 550GB for 55% off. End up paying $65 after taxes for 2 years. As good as Teksavvy has been this is a great deal for me. Great speeds + Reasonable cap + Decent Pricing is all I ever wanted from Rogers.

Do you have other Rogers services, or just internet?
afterburn999
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

I have cable as well. No home phone or wireless.
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to alex5908

to alex5908
You don't need a CGN3 for 150/10.
afterburn999
Scarborough, ON

afterburn999

said by arthurwinslo:

It's the only modem they would give me. I asked if there were any other options.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to arthurwinslo

to arthurwinslo
said by arthurwinslo:

150/10 is technically no longer offered. Only 150/15 is available and that requires a CGN3.

elitefx
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

said by yyzlhr:

150/10 is technically no longer offered. Only 150/15 is available and that requires a CGN3.

NO it doesn't. My 8x4 Cisco is good for 330/120. Says so right on the box. And a company as big and famous as Cisco isn't going to lie about that..........Rogers are the ones that are fu*king everyone over.

It's about time we got this cleared up. Rogers is just being Rogers. Liars and thieves. They're going to try to muscle us, push us around and treat us like friggin' idiots. NOBODY can possibly believe 150/10 is 8x4 territory but 150/15 isn't. Just another Rogers delusion.

The only way to fight back is to start writing emails to everyone you can think of in government. Bug the hell right out of them till they get on Rogers case and make them morons straighten up.

Complaing to Rogers don't do a bit of good. Time to take it to the top. Let the Feds know we're not a bunch of ass kissing Rogers lovers. And we're tired of getting screwed.

There's an election coming sooner or later and EVERY vote counts.............time for the DSLR army to get to work about Rogers.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by elitefx:

said by yyzlhr:

The only way to fight back is to start writing emails to everyone you can think of in government. Bug the hell right out of them till they get on Rogers case and make them morons straighten up.

Complaing to Rogers don't do a bit of good. Time to take it to the top. Let the Feds know we're not a bunch of ass kissing Rogers lovers. And we're tired of getting screwed.

There's an election coming sooner or later and EVERY vote counts..............

The government can't do anything. Rogers owns their own network. They have every right to manage it anyway they see fit. We as consumers also have the right to choose whether we want to be paying customers of Rogers.