share rss forum feed

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Start Communicat..

Cogeco laying fibre in my area?

So last summer Cogeco has been running fibre around the neighborhood, not actually in it, but around the border.

Any idea why? (it doesn't make sense, why would they run fibre when Rogers is in the area, + rogers owns part of Cogeco, so wouldn't it be against their best interests?)

The only thing I could find about Cogeco running fibre in Toronto would be their acquisition of Toronto Hydro Telecom.

»www.cogecodata.com/html/docs/dow···2008.pdf

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
Cogeco has data centre and fibre services for business. Likely that is why. »www.cogecodata.com/products_services

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to DavePC

Cogeco might be a subcontracting for Rogers.

Or C may be a peering or trunk partner for R, which I heard that they do in some areas.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to DavePC
They've been doing the same thing my neck of the woods. Vic Park between Eg and Lawrence. They ripped up the corner near by really good, kicked the shit out of the sidewalk and replaced it with wavy asphalt. I saw them trenching people's lawns and boulevards on Surrey for weeks. I asked. The techs said all the schools in the area are getting fibered up.

So we're probably footing the bill for the fine mess they're making.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

DavePC

join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Start Communicat..
I doubt that, every TDSB school I've been to already has fibre through Cogent, 100/100 at least, might be limited by CAT 5 cabling.

Seriously, they have had fibre for at least 6 years.

However.. they use some crappy Cisco router to deploy wireless across the school, and the speeds drop to 30/30 at least, sometimes the upload is higher than the upload.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
Might be just the two schools in the vicinity then, which was the direction Cogeco was heading in. Maybe unrelated to what you're seeing. In any event, whatever the hell it is, they are making a real mess.

I wonder if the city gives them carte blanche to just saw up roads and sidewalks and dig like that, then patch it up with horrible asphalt jobs.

Mike
--

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to DavePC
said by DavePC:

I doubt that, every TDSB school I've been to already has fibre through Cogent, 100/100 at least, might be limited by CAT 5 cabling.

Contract could be up soon, and maybe Cogeco got the account?
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I wonder if the city gives them carte blanche to just saw up roads and sidewalks and dig like that, then patch it up with horrible asphalt jobs.

If it works the way it does here, they're required to do a temporary restoration, which is typically done with asphalt patch. A crew will come back later and do a replacement of the full sidewalk panel.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

I've seen companies do that before. Last summer one of the Gas companies dug up the street and a few blocks of sidewalk not far from me for a new construction project, and did the asphalt sidewalk for the few sidewalk blocks they dug up. About 3 months later, they came back, did some more work, and put the concrete sidewalk back.

It is possible they are only doing this temporarily if they have to dig up there again in a month or so, and at that point they may return it to concrete. If they don't fix it in a few months, then I would complain to the council about it.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Cogeco has data centre and fibre services for business. Likely that is why. »www.cogecodata.com/products_services

As a contractor for Cogeco, I can inform you that *ding ding ding*, this is the correct answer.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by coaxguy:

As a contractor for Cogeco

Does the city give Cogeco carte blanche to saw up roads and sidewalks, carve up peoples lawns, and dig, no permits no nothing, then patch it up with cheap horrible asphalt jobs and handfuls of grass seed?

Mike
--

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

They prob'ly DO, at least on the city's side of your frontage property line.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to dillyhammer
The cities don;t have a choice, it's federally mandated.
What I would do is have them post an outrageous bond to ensure the road repair , after theiy're done, holds up 5yrs.
--
My Name is Wiley E Coyote, Super Genius

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..

1 edit
reply to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by coaxguy:

As a contractor for Cogeco

Does the city give Cogeco carte blanche to saw up roads and sidewalks, carve up peoples lawns, and dig, no permits no nothing, then patch it up with cheap horrible asphalt jobs and handfuls of grass seed?

Mike

Judging from the way you worded that question I'll say, I assume it does

Seriously though, I do fibre splicing and hard cable. So I wouldn't know. I assume the contractors that do the digging have the right to do what they do or else there would be a lot more damage complaints and back charges coming through.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

The cities don;t have a choice, it's federally mandated.
What I would do is have them post an outrageous bond to ensure the road repair , after theiy're done, holds up 5yrs.

I'd love to see that. The mess they made on Surrey Ave is disgusting. I should post photos. It's ridiculous the amount of damage they've done, but aesthetically and structurally.

Mike
--