share rss forum feed

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

My watermain In Front of house Busted - Locates?

City has to turn off water and dig my Yard Up supervisor says rogers never does locates. Anyone have a suggestion really will hate being out of service for days ;(
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
Rent a locator and mark the line yourself.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to morisato
Which would you rather be without - water or internet? If it's an emergency, the "Ontario One Call" legislation does not apply. »69.157.203.122/on1prequalify2.htm

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to morisato
said by morisato:

City has to turn off water and dig my Yard Up supervisor says rogers never does locates. Anyone have a suggestion really will hate being out of service for days ;(

They don't locate drops to subscribers residences, no....you can always hope for the best!...Look for the pedestal and look for where they shut the water off at the street....and do the math, you know the water line will be straight to the house...and hope for the best that your cable line isn't there....

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Which would you rather be without - water or internet?

Given this is DSLR do you even need to ask??

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to morisato
Rogers will never send locators for single service lines, they would much more gladly let your service and any others to get cut. This is standard policy and trust me on this one. It happens every day where I work we just call them in accordingly to Rogers for repair.

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by creed3020:

Rogers will never send locators for single service lines, they would much more gladly let your service and any others to get cut. This is standard policy and trust me on this one. It happens every day where I work we just call them in accordingly to Rogers for repair.

Its just a matter of cost. Cheaper to repair as sometimes the utility gets lucky and the drop doesn't get cut .

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
heres hoping the SLT is on the next house overs area and the main is in front of my home. Guess it all comes down to which side of the sidewalk the wires run down and if the water guys have to rip that out as well Currently That Section of my Yard is a Lake.
--

morisato

Oshawa, ON

1 edit
Rogers Came for locates! woot!
and to top it off the city Didn;t cut one service Line! ZOMG!

technik0

join:2008-01-09
Guelph, ON
reply to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Water.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Water, definitely.
I can always drink beer til the water is turned back on.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by MacGyver:

Water, definitely.

I guess you'll wash your ass with beer too?
--

oceros

join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

said by HiVolt:

The watermain busted. He could wash his ass in the street.

cerberus

join:2011-09-21
reply to morisato
The utility company (rogers in this case) only has to locate up to the property line. Everything within private property is up to the property owner to locate with a private locator. At work we always end up doing the public locates (which are wrong, late or both) and then hiring a private locator to trace all known lines.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
Last I checked Rogers is Not a Utility Company, and owns the cable up until the demarc Point which is a Box On the side of my house, Thus would be the ones responsible for the locate.
--

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
Rogers "owns" the cable right up to the device you connect it to.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by kanatamike:

Owns? No. Responsible for delivering the signal to your devices? yes.
--

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by HiVolt:

said by kanatamike:

Owns? No. Responsible for delivering the signal to your devices? yes.

They Own the cabling, since they are responsible for the whole cable plant, right up to the end of that RG-6 connector.

I'm not sure why people "buy" cabling, since Rogers owns it all, have them pay for it...

That being said, they are responsible for the locate, and they'd come out and reconnect it should it had been cut, but morisato was lucky to get a good locate and all has been fixed, so yay!

Also, I'd rather live without internet....I've lived without water, I would have traded it for some water....its amazing when you can't wash your hands and flush your toilets how 3rd worldish you can feel.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by MacGyver:

Water, definitely.

I'll have the most refreshing ass in town in that case.
Gives a whole new meaning to "Pour me a cold one", doesn't it?"

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to decx
said by decx:

said by MacGyver:

Given this is DSLR do you even need to ask??

LOL Right? I got a swimming pool full of spare water. Gimme my Interwebz Dangit!

Blob
--
Don't try to follow me, I have a cab waiting. EEEEEEEEradicator!

cepnot4me

join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to morisato
Logically a drop will run in a straight line along the street, make a 90 and go directly to your service enclosure. If you locate it yourself that's how it runs.
However, it almost always will be in the path of the water line.

So even if it's located, a hand dig with a shovel will cut it.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

and hope for the best that your cable line isn't there....

And hope there's not a poor grounding situation coupled with a weak neutral...

RideTheLight

join:2013-12-23
Windsor, ON
reply to morisato
If the cable drop comes up immediately beside the hydro service (most recent subdivision, common trench areas) it will remain above the hydro service to the home, you're safe, hydro will locate their service drop.

If not and you know the general area, pull out the witching sticks, or make a set from a metal coat hanger.. they work and very simple to use.
Some Bell/gas techs in my area swore by them 25 years ago.
»forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.p···2&page=2

If you're the cautious type, and the drop is not beside hydro, it's most likely direct buried (no conduit) post initial build and quite often shallow enough to pull it out of the ground easily.

notfred

join:2012-09-15
said by RideTheLight:

If you're the cautious type, and the drop is not beside hydro, it's most likely direct buried (no conduit) post initial build and quite often shallow enough to pull it out of the ground easily.

In my case it was so shallow that the neighbour's lawn aeration broke it :-(

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Here is the thing with Rogers.
Rogers owns the cable up to the demarcation point. They are responsible for all the cable the customer owns beyond the Demarcation point connected to their plant. If it becomes disconnected from the plant, they are no longer responsible for it. (This is why Bell doesn't get in trouble for using the lines Rogers was on.)

Locating private property is a cost to the property owner. Your cable and telephone drops are not essential services, and not on public property.
Therefore Ontario one call does not and will not locate it.

Rogers has the ability to locate your drop. They just don't. If you call and ask them to do so. One of two things happen.

1. They send a tech, we give you our best guess. No paint, no flags, no drawings.
2. They will tell you what I tell a customer. It's cheaper to come fix it if You do hit it, than it is to locate it and hope you don't hit it. It costs about $75 to repair a damaged drop or run a temp.
Locating it would cost more $75.
It's more cost effective than locates.

That's the why. Right wrong or otherwise.

If you do hit it, if we bury a new drop, it's between 3" and 12". Most commonly it is near 3". It's buried shallow to prevent destroying your lawn and hitting public utilities which are buried much deeper.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
said by cepnot4me:

Rogers owns the cable up to the demarcation point. They are responsible for all the cable the customer owns beyond the Demarcation point connected to their plant.

There are no "demarcation points" on cable. rCable owns the entire RG6 coax right up to where it connects to your modem.
--

!- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -!
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = @TwiztedZero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

i_pk_pjers_i

join:2007-04-20
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Obviously water, internet is much more of a necessity. I have lots of drinks beside water in my house.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by i_pk_pjers_i:

Obviously water, internet is much more of a necessity. I have lots of drinks beside water in my house.

And can get a 5 gallon bucket to take from the 'lake' to flush toilets...
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

cepnot4me

L0C 1K0
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TwiztedZero
No. They don't. Like I said, They are Responsible for cabling past the demarcation point, but do not own it.

Trust me. I know this.

If Rogers owned it and you had a problem with a riser that Bell Xpressvu was using, you'd be able to call Rogers and have us replace it. Or Rogers could technically forbid any other provider from using the wiring in your home to provide you service, because it's their wiring. Or when you disconnected your service Rogers could come a remove the wiring if you chose not to be a customer of theirs.

They dont.

The wires beyond the demarcation, (Telephone, Cable, water and Hydro) are the property of the homeowner. If the wires go bad, The homeowner is responsible for the cost to replace them. Rogers is just responsible for them and manages them while their signals are on them.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
All of the cable in my walls, up to the outlets, all have "Property of Shaw Cable" on the cables.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.