uniqs

c0mc4st
join:2007-03-14
Vallejo, CA

1 edit

c0mc4st

new pc - having trouble connecting to internet

Windows 8.1
Wifi connects flawlessly but wired into the router i get connected briefly then disconnected. it just repeats this over and over.
i have tried to reboot the router but it didn't help at all. i have updated all the windows updates and have the latest driver for this ethernet hardware (realtek)
can someone help me get this thing connected please
Sandpipers
join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA

Sandpipers

Have you tried another LAN port and/or a different Ethernet cable.

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

i have not tried another port but i have tried a different cable... i had been using an older pc with that same lan port and it worked fine.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to c0mc4st

Premium Member

to c0mc4st
Check to make sure Windows isn't assigning a local IP address and your PC is set to pull down a DHCP address from the router.

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st to Sandpipers

to Sandpipers
ok, tried changing ports on the router and still same thing... shows "connected" then disconnects

the tcp/ip settings are default (obtain ip address automatically)

not sure what else i can do here

when it connects... it shows "identifying... connected... then a few seconds later disconnects... it does this over and over as long as the cable is connected

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by c0mc4st:

when it connects... it shows "identifying... connected

I have never seen a hardwired Ethernet connection report, "identifying" while trying connect; either it makes the connection, or it fails. I see, "identifying" when a wireless connection is connecting.

But I have neither Windows 8, nor a U-verse gateway; something different from Windows 7 and ordinary ADSL2+?

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

on the right side you can see
it does this regardless of whether or not i turn wifi on or off so i ruled that out
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
Their might be a separate driver for Windows 8.1. Did you download the Windows 8 driver instead?

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

i have the driver for 8.1
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

You might want to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. Also where did you get the driver from, the PC manufactures web site or Realtek's?

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

i think i might have fixed it... i turned off auto negotiating and set it to 100Mbs half duplex... so far it stays connected... i also notice it disables wifi and keeps ethernet connected
this is what i did:
went into networking configuration - clicked speed and duplex - set value at 100Mbs half duplex.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by c0mc4st:

went into networking configuration - clicked speed and duplex - set value at 100Mbs half duplex.

Why half duplex? Cat 5e should allow 100Mbs full duplex over two pairs.

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

when i set it at 100Mbps full-duplex it goes back into connecting/disconnecting over and over

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by c0mc4st:

when i set it at 100Mbps full-duplex it goes back into connecting/disconnecting over and over

There is a hub somewhere?

»www.learn44.com/what-is- ··· t-modes/

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

oh well... i guess i'll just use wifi and disable ethernet altogether.
i don't want to connect at half-duplex after reading that it's not going to be as fast as full.
i tried to set full-duplex in the router and my network settings for the ethernet card and it just won't connect... i don't understand what's going on and why it only connects at half-duplex.
c0mc4st

c0mc4st

isn't wifi half-duplex? so, wouldn't a wired half-duplex always be better than a wifi half-duplex? in other words, if that's what i'm stuck with in terms of choices until i figure it out, am i not better off using the wired half-duplex?

(obviously full would be better but for some reason 100Mbps full-duplex isn't working, only 100Mbps half-duplex)
c0mc4st

c0mc4st

with 2 STB on my speed is actually damn good in half-duplex...
mdpeterman
join:2010-10-10
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
While you may have "solved" the problem, you really haven't solved it. If this is a new PC as the post suggests, I would contact the manufacturer for a fix or replacement if the issue persists.
I would connect the PC to another router if possible and see if it operates the same way and if so then we know the PC is not working properly. It is possible to have a bad ethernet port in the PC.

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

on the phone with hp right now and it sounds like they're sending out a replacement pc instead of NIC replacement.
they were only going to send me an operating system cd to restore to factory settings but i told her the pc is new and already at factory settings.
c0mc4st

c0mc4st

so i just got off the phone with at&t and they figure as long as i'm getting a speed result that i'm paying for then there's nothing they can do... however, they did a line test and it failed so they have to send a tech out tomorrow to look at the lines.

since i don't have any knowledge on this, would bad lines have anything to do with the router not connecting at full duplex with my machine? probably a dumb question but i just don't know enough about this stuff.
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

1 recommendation

mdpeterman to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
It's probably best to get a replacement PC. If the last computer didn't have any issues running over Ethernet, I imagine the new PC has a bad NIC in it. Good luck!

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

it's an onboard ethernet controller and i seemed to have fixed the issue... in the settings there was a setting for "energy efficient ethernet" which was enabled. i disabled it and changed back to autonegotiate... CONNECTED.
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

Ahh. Typically energy efficient Ethernet is good for cables less than 10 meters in length, but I guess not in this case.

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr

Does Ethernet really use that much power that there is an energy efficiency option? I would think not since its small gauge wire. Probably an energy star thing.
mdpeterman
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

Ethernet doesn't use much power compared to most things, but I guess the thinking is it can add up over thousands of ports for a large company.
A lot of switches now have a "green" Ethernet option which is the same thing, it reduces power on ports if the run is less than 10M in length.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige to c0mc4st

to c0mc4st
NVG589's LAN port LED while PC's NIC was in "energy efficient" mode: just dark, else what color and solid or flickering? How long is the cable?

Would FCC filings for this gateway specify whether LAN ports support IEEE 802.3az?

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

i didn't take any notice to the ethernet LED (i probably should have)
also, i tried 3 or 4 different ethernet cables ranging in 5 to 6 feet long

j1349705
Premium Member
join:2006-04-15
Holly Springs, NC

j1349705 to mdpeterman

Premium Member

to mdpeterman
said by mdpeterman:

Ethernet doesn't use much power compared to most things, but I guess the thinking is it can add up over thousands of ports for a large company.
A lot of switches now have a "green" Ethernet option which is the same thing, it reduces power on ports if the run is less than 10M in length.

There is very little power consumption with Ethernet (PoE being a notable exception), but when you consider all of the Ethernet connections out there in the world, it adds up.

To the OP, bad lines should not cause your Ethernet connection to drop out unless the RG is completely rebooting for some reason. Please post the model of the NIC on your computer as shown in the device manager. This might be helpful in case someone has experience a similar issue with the same hardware.

This is certainly not a normal issue... Wired Ethernet should be pretty reliable. You already tried a cable swap, so it is not a cable issue. Auto negotiate should work, but if it doesn't, you need to manually set the speed and duplex on both sides of the connection (possible on the 2wire devices, not sure about the Motorola. It does sound like a hardware issue on the PC based on what you describe ... maybe a loose solder joint where the port connects to the motherboard. It may be difficult to troubleshoot further without additional equipment (such as another switch or router to see if the new PC still drops the connection on different devices).

c0mc4st
Vallejo, CA

c0mc4st

PC: HP Pavilion Slimline 400-214
LAN: Realtek RTL 8106E-CG

jimk, i already mentioned that i fixed the auto-negotiating by disabling the "energy efficient ethernet". Once that was disabled the PC connected to the router with no problem.

dell_user
@99.25.53.x

dell_user

Anon

Hi I would like to add to this. I was having the same or very similar problem recently with my att office uverse router. At first I thought maybe it was the new windows 8.1 we are using or the mdix/auto-sensing as you mention above. It seems that I reduced the DHCP pull to 5 clients recently and even though not all of those clients were online the uverse router was still holding those positions for some reason. so I expanded the dhcp pool out another 5-10 available clients and it quits "identifying" and "limited" connections now.