spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hiltaguard
join:2012-02-17
Orlando, FL
ARRIS SBG6580

hiltaguard

[CFL] I can't wait to live in a Bright House again!

This is purely based on my experience. After experiencing both sides, I have come to the conclusion that (for me) Bright House Networks is the better choice in regards to TV service. I've listed my reasons below. So once my contract is up with DTV I'm switching back to BHN.
-------------------------
Why Bright House Networks is better then Directv:

1. Service is interrupted every time bad weather arrives.
2. HD service is not free. It's at least $10/Mo. with Directv.
3. Have more then 1 TV? You'll pay extra for each additional TV.
4. 'Local on 8's' on Weather Channel is not local. It's regional.
(Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, etc.)
5. Missing many HD channels:
GSN, Oxygen, FX Movie, We, Logo, TVGN, Ovation, GAC, Fuse, Esquire, NASA
6. No 'Central Florida News 13 (I actually really miss it)
7. No SEC Network
8. Annoying 'Cinema' banner ads throughout the guide that cannot be disabled.
---------------------------------

To be fair Directv does do some things better then BHN:

1. Better Equipment (DTV wins this battle hands down)
2. Better On-screen Guide (Fully customizable. Allows you to see only the channels you pay for)
3. Better iOS/Android App (DTV app is far superior to anything BHN offers)
4. NFL Sunday Ticket

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

I agree largely on what you said (both PRO and CON). I do have two minor disagreements about the CONS.

#1 - In severe storms, mine always goes out. My GF has BHN, and during severe storms she will lose feed a lot of times as well (BUT not every time).

#3 - When BHN transitions to all digital in your area (if they haven't already), I believe you will have to eventually pay for a receiver (or digital adapter) on every TV. Granted, the digital adapter charges are much less than an actual receiver.

As far as HD service not being free, that is a ridiculous money grab IMO, since HD is standard these days, unlike 10 years ago when they first started charging for it. BUT if the networks actually charge more for HD retransmission (it is still a ridiculous money grab if the networks charge for it), then be assured that BHN charges for it too, it it jut build into their costs.

DanG1974
join:2005-06-26
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

DanG1974 to hiltaguard

to hiltaguard
said by hiltaguard:

2. Better On-screen Guide (Fully customizable. Allows you to see only the channels you pay for)

BH offers this. Pressing the Guide button twice brings up this option.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to hiltaguard

Premium Member

to hiltaguard
I switched from DirecTV to BHN late last year and I've been pleased. I've always liked BHN and I've been happy with my service overall. Here's some comments on what you've posted:

1. While I did have service interruptions, I rarely had a major outage unless the storm was really bad. I always turned everything off/unplugged during a bad storm so it never affected me.

2. When I had DirecTV, they offered free HD if you setup autopay. Are they not doing this anymore?

3. With the new digital transition, you will pay more with Brighthouse as well (at least $2/box after first two until 2015, then $2/box for each TV or min. $8/box for HD receiver).

4. I never watch the Weather Channel so this really never bothered me when I was with them. I get my weather from other sources much quicker than waiting for my 'Local on the 8s' to pass by.

5. Nothing to say on this one.

6. I found myself missing CFNews13 when I was with DirecTV as well. I don't watch it often, but it's nice to know it's there.

7. This was a big one for me too.

8. These banner ads were very annoying to me as well. It always baffled me why they did this since I would imagine most wouldn't even click on them anyway (but perhaps I'm wrong since they continue to do it).

I completely agree on the equipment comment. This is one thing that has irked me for a while with BHN. They're getting much better but overall the quality of equipment is not all that great. I would love to see more tuners and some more innovative features (wireless receivers, etc).

The new guide is on par with DirecTVs guide, in my opinion. I love the improvement to the DVR listing layout (folders). The HD guide layout is much more pleasant to read than the old format. I was happy to see BHN release this earlier this year.

The iOS app for DirecTV was great. I particularly liked the iPad app. I found it to be very easy to use and a smooth interface. The app for Brighthouse is improving, but it still doesn't match what DirecTV has.

I'm a big fan of NFL, but the Sunday Ticket is grossly overpriced. All I cared for was RedZone channel (and Eagles games) and hated that they wouldn't allow someone to pay for RedZone channel only. You had to buy the entire package AND you had to get the more expensive one. This is absurd. I am happy to see BHN offering the RedZone channel now (as well as NFL Network).

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to hiltaguard

Premium Member

to hiltaguard
Interesting read...

I've got DirecTV and am pretty happy with it, outside of the rain-fade, which I must admit hasn't been bad since I had them out to realign the dish. 95% of the time if I lose signal, switching from the HD to the SD channel will get me through until the weather subsides.

I might give BHN a shot for TV service when my contract is up. It depends what they are offering at the time. DirecTV's Genie system works very well for my household.

I like having Sunday Ticket, because I'm a lifelong Philly sports fan transplanted in Florida, gotta have my Eagles games.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

Have you tried the new wireless Genie mini receiver? I just read about that today and thought it was pretty interesting (similar technology to the wireless Uverse receivers I would assume).
SunnyFL8
Premium Member
join:2001-02-08

SunnyFL8 to hiltaguard

Premium Member

to hiltaguard
I would agree BH is a better value ($$$) hands down IMO.

Like any other service you are limited to how good the signal comes in.

Price is best and less extra fees.

BH is competitively priced IMO if not the best.

Forget U-Verse Xtra$$$ for everything.

DTV has nice equip for now BH isn't too shabby but the Genie is nice. I am sure soon BH will have a better solution than multi-DVR's.

Don't forget BH HSI DTV has what ATT (slow-Verse).

Milkman0
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0 to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz
said by gigahurtz:

Have you tried the new wireless Genie mini receiver? I just read about that today and thought it was pretty interesting (similar technology to the wireless Uverse receivers I would assume).

The wireless Genie is pretty cool, but I don't see any benefit in it since it costs the same $6.00 per month as any other receiver. I would rather have a full functional DVR in that place if I have to pay $6.00 either way.

hiltaguard
Orlando, FL
ARRIS SBG6580

hiltaguard to DanG1974

to DanG1974
said by DanG1974:

BH offers this. Pressing the Guide button twice brings up this option.

Awesome! I had no idea. When I switch back to BHN I'll be sure to use this feature.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

gigahurtz to Milkman0

Premium Member

to Milkman0
Isn't the purpose of them to not have wires and be flexible with where you can put it?

Milkman0
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

I suppose, but the $6.00 charge irks me.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

BHNtechXpert to hiltaguard

Premium Member

to hiltaguard
said by hiltaguard:

This is purely based on my experience. After experiencing both sides, I have come to the conclusion that (for me) Bright House Networks is the better choice in regards to TV service. I've listed my reasons below. So once my contract is up with DTV I'm switching back to BHN.
-------------------------
Why Bright House Networks is better then Directv:

1. Service is interrupted every time bad weather arrives.
2. HD service is not free. It's at least $10/Mo. with Directv.
3. Have more then 1 TV? You'll pay extra for each additional TV.
4. 'Local on 8's' on Weather Channel is not local. It's regional.
(Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, etc.)
5. Missing many HD channels:
GSN, Oxygen, FX Movie, We, Logo, TVGN, Ovation, GAC, Fuse, Esquire, NASA
6. No 'Central Florida News 13 (I actually really miss it)
7. No SEC Network
8. Annoying 'Cinema' banner ads throughout the guide that cannot be disabled.
---------------------------------

1. Better Equipment (DTV wins this battle hands down)
3. Better iOS/Android App (DTV app is far superior to anything BHN offers)
4. NFL Sunday Ticket

Scott thank you and we're very glad to have you back! Reach out to me when that day comes please.

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL to hiltaguard

to hiltaguard
said by hiltaguard:

So once my contract is up with DTV I'm switching back to BHN.

When we came back to BHN for video service, I ate our EFT of about $160...

hiltaguard
Orlando, FL

hiltaguard

said by DCELL:

When we came back to BHN for video service, I ate our EFT of about $160...

EFT?

DCELL
CC/Nature Coast
join:2010-06-17
Inglis, FL

DCELL

Fingers to fast, meant ETF-Early Termination Fee

hiltaguard
Orlando, FL
ARRIS SBG6580

hiltaguard

said by DCELL:

ETF-Early Termination Fee

That's why I'm waiting until my commitment period is up. Just have 5 months to go. Well that's the plan anyway. I may end up sucking up the EFT myself if I just can't take it anymore.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to hiltaguard

to hiltaguard
Some people might say not having to pay for the SEC Network is a good thing, not a bad thing.

hiltaguard
Orlando, FL
ARRIS SBG6580

hiltaguard

said by mixdup:

Some people might say not having to pay for the SEC Network is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I completely agree and I think BHN does as well by putting the SEC Network in the 'Sports Pass' package. So if you do don't care about sports then you don't have to pay for specialty sports channels.
the65gto
join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL

the65gto

You posted the same thing over on the DTV forum. It is a good read from those DTV fans on your comments and cable TV. I am guessing that their bias was/is based mostly on other cable companies?? BTW, I agree with you. My DTV box was an excellent weather forecaster. As soon as it started pixelating, I knew I was about to see that "Acquiring Signal" message and then just wait out the rain.