Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

How to mitigate tracking risks: wrap your phone in tinfoil, quit Google

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· -google/

"In new book, Julia Angwin wants to live a modern life while frustrating the NSA..."

Who will do this?
LocutusBorg
Premium Member
join:2005-12-25
Revere, MA

LocutusBorg

Premium Member

Wackjob! the ONLY way to regain your privacy is to kill yourself

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

2 edits

3 recommendations

carpetshark3 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Not about the NSA - crap like this:
»arstechnica.com/staff/20 ··· ntent%29

Stores in malls trying to entice you to buy, etc. especially if they are trying to get the info from other means than a signup for an app.

I rooted the phone and got rid of maps, location, and social nonsense and won't sign up for +, now or hangouts.

I need my smart phone as I use it as a reference library and a phone. The apps don't work on a dumb phone. I must have most of the nature and astronomy guides going. I can't carry a sack full of books on a nature walk.

If I do any social, I'll do it on the computer where I have NoScript, and most other ext. like it.

KodiacZiller
Premium Member
join:2008-09-04

2 recommendations

KodiacZiller to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
LOL anyone who thinks regaining privacy is as simple as "quitting google" is a moron. NSA has the ability to collect anything that traverses the Internet. Whether it be google, yahoo, Skype, hotmail, Apple products, SSL encrypted websites, POTS phone calls, etc. If you want electronic privacy, correspond with people with handwritten notes encrypted with a OTP. Or invite them over and talk to them in person.

If you use the Internet or the phone at *all*, you must assume it is being collected (because it is).
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to LocutusBorg

to LocutusBorg

Or get rid of all that stuff!! (I dont have any of it and dont want it)
Expand your moderator at work
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

2 edits

1 recommendation

Millenium to antdude

to antdude

Re: How to mitigate tracking risks: wrap your phone in tinfoil, quit Google

1) Cover your face. (Subverts facial recognition software)
2) Don't drive your own car. (Subverts license plate readers and onboard hardware)
3) Use a disposable phone. Change often, getting a new number each time.
4) Use disposable netbook to access the internet. Change often.
5) Don't bank. (Use cash and money orders)
6) Don't have internet in your name.

Good luck.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

trparky

Premium Member

Let's add to that list, shall we.

7) Don't fly.
8) Don't take a train.
9) Don't go outside.
10) Don't get a driver's license.
11) Don't pay taxes.
12) Don't get a social security number.
13) Don't live your life.

Did I miss anything?

You'd have to go completely off the grid if you really wanted to hide from the NSA. Besides, those six items that Millenium See Profile mentioned would probably have you on the NSA watch list despite the fact that you're trying to hide from them. Hello No Fly List!

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to Millenium

MVM

to Millenium
Good start, but you forgot, live in a cave and don't have any friends or acquaintances. Bin Laden was doing a lot of that other stuff and look how well that worked out for him.

I have ever mentioned how much I love photo services like Flickr, as its not you that I'm interested in, but who or what is in the background. Julia Angwin can think that sketch thing is working but her face is already in the database so if someone was looking, they would look in the background of all those lovely high resolution photos that everyone takes everywhere for everything.

The reality is I don't think it is possible to 'hide' yourself from the system, so I'd suggest learning how to understand and deal with the system as it isn't going anywhere soon.

Blake

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

I'd suggest learning how to understand and deal with the system as it isn't going anywhere soon.

That's the best thing said so far. As much as it has all gone so far away from being priviate, learning to live with everything is is the main job for us all now-a-days. Not using things might be a choice for some, and a logical one, but it's no longer an answer to privacy, or the lack of it.
Millenium
join:2013-10-30

Millenium to Link Logger

to Link Logger
I was focusing more on having "everything you do and everywhere you go" being tracked.

But yeah, I don't think it's realistic to be completely off grid unless you join the aborigines in the Amazon or New Guinea. I think the tech world has a hard time yet knowing what they did yesterday.

Wide adoption of facial recognition is the final nail in the coffin of what was having a day to yourself in the modern world. Well, so far. It might get even worse with some new tech yet to even be thought up.
Millenium

Millenium to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

Besides, those six items that Millenium See Profile mentioned would probably have you on the NSA watch list despite the fact that you're trying to hide from them. Hello No Fly List!

Who knows! You might be right!

I don't belittle the concern over the NSA, but I'm actually more taken back by Big Corp's tracking, databasing, and profiling of everyone and everything they can. Computers, the Internet, and tech in general has moved from something I once loved to something I don't much care for anymore. I have to look at everything from the perspective of "is that thing going to be tracking what I do, where I go, what I say?"

Take the Xbox One. When it was first announced it had to have the Kinect attached and be connected to the internet for it to work. I was like, "Wait a minute. An internet connected microphone and camera in my living room that is capable of both voice and facial recognition!?"

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I agree with other posters in that all one can do nowadays is try and minimize tracking. That requires that one know how it is done and for what purpose.

I'm sure most here saw the news about the BLM clashing with a cattle rancher over the last few weeks. I'm sure all the protesters at that event have been photographed (by drone(s) and/or hidden camera's), have had their cell phone numbers identified and have had their vehicle license plates recorded. I wonder how many of them even thought of that. I also wonder how long it will take for some them to get audited by the IRS, get raided by the ATF/FBI/DEA/etc. I'm sure the Feds will wait a "suitable period" so an obvious connection cannot be concluded.

Also where is all that data stored? In Utah in an "enemies of the state" database?

. o O ("They'll be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes")

Unfortunately we live in an age where such things need to be considered.