spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Please respond - curious about something

Hoping someone might be able to provide an answer. I live in an area where there are no options for internet other than dial up, satellite or mediocre 3G. I was mislead by Verizon due to wrong information in their database that I could get dsl at my address only to find out by the tech I am too far out.

I could most likely get a T1 or other T-based/Ethernet for service. Problem is the cost is so exorbitant I would have to sell my immortal soul, a kidney and some limbs and still not have enough to cover the cost.

So why not offer a residential T1 option for anyone stuck without other options that is much more affordable. They could treat it like residential service without the SLA or whatever inflates the price so much. Charge a higher upfront cost to install and a low monthly price than average residential broadband and bam no reason why the majority of rural folks can't have access to something better.

Incoming rant..

I hate how rural folks are treated like second class or low class citizens. These corporations don't think we need decent broadband, don't stream or download large files and music/videos/game or take college classes or work from home. Frankly satellite isn't really sufficient for anything other than web browsing, emails, occasional streaming, small downloads and updates. It quickly becomes impractical in homes with multiple users, especially kids and mult-family dwellings with multiple devices. The old alien birds should be retired and finding shifted towards bringing reliable high speed, low latency terrestrial broadband with no caps or reasonable caps to rural America. Surely the costs would be immensely reduces compared to the costly operation of launching multiple satellites into outer space. Satellite should only be for cases where there is no internet period. Such as on a camping trip or going across seas into a foreign country where there's no civilization for possibly tens or hundreds of miles and the military.
Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax

Well I guess putting please respond in the title doesn't help any and it's been almost two days without an answer. Is this community really that dead now, how did this ever happen?

I'm trying to explore any avenues for high speed, low latency broadband without caps or reasonable caps. I'm just wondering why no isp has ever considered this for rural areas. I am not settling for satellite internet, it doesn't meed my needs and would rather move back to the city than get satellite. I am trying to find something decent because I like living out here and have a chance to purchase the place I am renting for three grand.

I live near Montezuma but my mailing address is Port Byron. It would be nice to know if there is a coop, wisp or something that can provide broadband service at my address.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Xtreme2damax

MVM

to Xtreme2damax
T1 is more expensive to deploy and is tariffed as a commercial service. T1, just like ADSL is distance limited and requires repeaters every 12,000 feet or so.

Bottom line, the government has chosen not to regulate Internet access so the notion of universal service does not apply. ISPs get the cherry pick the most lucrative customers.

You may want to see if there is a CLEC that services your location. They may be more amenable to working with you to obtain service the the incumbent phone company.

If you have not already done so check out the NY broadband map to see what options you have. I tried this morning but the site was down.
www.broadbandmap.ny.gov/

/tom
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

1 edit

Xtreme2damax

There is nothing else here, our area is the forgotten area. I am really peeved someone twenty miles out was able to get fiber and I'm less than ten miles out with literally zero options.

The two common choices are dial up or satellite here. Other choices are weak 3G or a barely existent Lte signal from a Verizon tower meaning almost the whole park is a dead zone for Lte while some spots are able to pick up a very weak Lte signal. No Wisp or CLES here it's like the friggin stone age when it comes to internet out here. Not only lack of internet options but no nearby fire hydrants in case of emergencies which there was recently when my landlady's house caught fire.

Why no residential T1, someone could make a nice buck offering rural areas some kind of decent option for broadband internet service.. As I said just make the monthly price affordable and treat it like a residential service without a guarantee or SLA. I wouldn't mind paying a high one time setup cost so long as the monthly price was affordable. I really wish Verizon and Time Warner would get their shit together and expand their network, it's not like they don't have the money and it would hardly break the bank. There's no reason why anyone under ten miles outside populated areas shouldn't be wired with high speed land based broadband. Hell companies would rather spend billions for R&D and launching expensive satellites into space rather than the cheaper alternative of hooking most rural areas up with land based broadband. It would even be cheaper to erect cell towers or towers for wireless broadband service to cover these areas.

So sad most of the USA is twenties years behind when it comes to internet and to think this country were the pioneers of the internet. Some foreign countries have it better with internet today and pay far less than we do.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

davidhoffman

Premium Member

As far as the Verizon Wireless service, do you have any signal measurements you could provide? Is there a location on the property you are located at that would be able to have an antenna approximately 2 meters in diameter installed on a antenna mount? How far from that possible antenna location is an available electrical outlet?

I have installed a Verizon EVDO Rev A set up at a friend's house. We used a high gain parabolic antenna, a bidirectional Wilson Electronics amplifier, 75 ft of low loss coaxial antenna cable, an electric powered antenna rotator, a 6 ft antenna mast, and an under eave mount. We took the signal from about -105db to about -85db. It turned unusable signal into a tolerable internet connection. He uses the Millenicom reseller of Verizon services. It costs $90/month for 20GB.

It also is now possible to get high gain parabolic antennas and other equipment for LTE.
davidhoffman

1 edit

davidhoffman to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
Here are some websites that might be able to help gathering up those weak Verizon Wireless signals and turning them into something useful.

EVDO Tips and Tweaks: »evdotips.blogspot.com/

Wireless N WiFi: »www.wirelessnwifi.com/

WPS Antennas: »www.wpsantennas.com/

Millenicom: »millenicom.com/

Maximum Signal: »www.maximumsignal.net/

3G Store: »3gstore.com/

Wilson Electronics: »www.wilsonelectronics.com/

L-Com: »www.l-com.com/

ZDA Antenna: »www.zdacomm.com/wireless ··· antenna/

Excel Wireless: »www.excel-wireless.com/
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
T1s were not created for residential use. That is why nothing was created for them. And at this point for most carriers to get any T1s those are resold by the ILECs and those with equipment in those areas. The ISPs just resell.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
There's technical issues with T1's as well..

As was mentioned, they need to be repeated every 12k feet or so (depending on wire gauge) - you have to condition the loop, so load coils and bridge taps have to be stripped; AND the real killer - you can only have so many T1's within a cable bundle, due to cross-talk.

The hardware isn't cheap; and is actually rising, as demand goes down...

The SLA costs are only a small part of why it costs what is costs.

Your best hope will be LTE or 4g wireless... It's being deployed in rural areas as a way of providing reasonable internet speeds, but timelines are iffy. I know Canada's doing a fairly aggressive rural LTE build; but I'm not as familiar with US plans.

LightSpan
Premium Member
join:2004-02-18
Lexington, KY

LightSpan to Xtreme2damax

Premium Member

to Xtreme2damax
A t1 is money because said telco has to build and condition plant ( removing load coil's or placing repeater app case's ).