spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fdm2000
join:2002-02-15
Mount Clemens, MI

fdm2000

Question - how to determine if pc is using wireless or ethernet connection

I have a Netgear N600 dual band wireless (Model WNDR3400v2) router. I was set up several months ago by a Best Buy tech. At that time it was connected via ethernet cables to two Win XP pcs and wirelessly to a Wn 7 laptop. I now have purchased and installed two Win 7 Pro pcs to replace the Win XPs. During the set up of the Win 7 pcs they automatically used the wireless connection to the internet via built in adapters. I have since made ethernet connections to each of the Win 7 pcs in order to tweek the internet speed and have a stupid question:

How do I determine if the two Win 7 pcs are in fact using the ethernet connections and not continuing to use the wireless connection. As you can readily ascertain I am a total dunce when it comes to routers.

Frank

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center - or press the terminal icon in the bottom right. Once there, show your adapter setting. It will show them and you can disable the wireless if need be.
fdm2000
Mount Clemens, MI

fdm2000

Thanks for the response Trimline - will try your suggestion and get back if I need more help.

Frank
fdm2000

fdm2000 to Trimline

to Trimline
Trimline I followed your suggestion but am still not sure what I have.
I show three things in adapter settings: 1.Bluetooth not connected; 2.Local Area Connection Mtclmns Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller:3 Wireless Network Connection Mtllmns Dell Wireless 1702.11b/g/n.

From my Netgear router which is connected to a Comcast modem I have two active wired ports each connected to a desktop Win 7 pc. I also have a Win 7 laptop that receives the internet wirelessly. I therefore do not want to disable the wireless network, but want the two other pcs to access the network via the wired connections. When I look at "view your active network" I see two connections 1. local area connection with a ethernet plug pictured and 2. Wireless network connection (Mtclmns).

I am reluctant to disable the wireless connection on a temporary basis to see if I am getting the internet on the desktpops pcs, for fear I will not be able to restore it

From what I have described I'm still not sure if the desktops are recieiving the internet via wired connections.

Can you tell from what I have described?

Thanks for your patience with this neophyte.

Frank

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

From the Network Adapter Settings, you can highlight the adapter, then select disable/enable from the top. You won't hurt anything. In the picture, you can see I'm using ethernet to my SSID named Wireless. The wireless adapter has been disabled.

Living in Florida, I use the wireless on the particular PC during the thunderstorm season.
fdm2000
Mount Clemens, MI

fdm2000

Thanks for the add'l help - I just disabled the wireless network connection and will see if either of the two desktop pcs are affected. I have a Canon wireless printer and will be interested to see if it is affected. Will get back with outcome.

Frank

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Whatever you do on one particular computer won't affect anything except that computer and what is directly connected to it. Your other two PCs and the printer should be unaffected by disabling the Wireless adapter on that one.
fdm2000
Mount Clemens, MI

fdm2000

Radio Doc, thanks for the clarification.

Frank