spc
Search similar:

uniqs

davidc502
join:2002-03-06
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to igotfiveonit

to igotfiveonit

Re: [Connectivity] Re: March Netflix Rankings - Following Direct Interconnection

said by igotfiveonit :

Curious where the facts are...

Here's the question... Who has the facts? ISP's keep that type of information under wraps (not transparent).

Let's say that Comcast didn't charge Netflix for the direct peering. It doesn't mean they won't force Netflix to pay in the future. Once Comcast gets Netflix to hook in, it's going to be hard for Netflix to pull out years down the road.

SvenNetEng
@torservers.net

1 recommendation

SvenNetEng to jlivingood

Anon

to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

said by norm:

How has direct peering with Netflix affected congestion between Comcast and other networks?

Hard to say, not having access to their network stats.

Jason I am sure I follow, can you please explain? I would think Comcast keeps traffic graphs (MRTG) showing how much traffic is going in and out of its peering ports. Is that not something peering networks do anymore?

bigjohn
join:2005-05-26
Woodstock, GA

1 recommendation

bigjohn

Comcast is now charging netflix for peering, and charging me (bandwidth cap) for watching neflix instead of buying their stupid cable tv package... Hmm. so much for net-neutrality. If there was only competition here in georgia...

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502 to SvenNetEng

to SvenNetEng
said by SvenNetEng :

Jason I am sure I follow, can you please explain? I would think Comcast keeps traffic graphs (MRTG) showing how much traffic is going in and out of its peering ports. Is that not something peering networks do anymore?

I don't know if this is helpful, but MRTG is just one tool of hundreds that can graph what ever statistic that is being collected. It could be CPU utilization or Memory utilization of a server, to different MBean counters inside of a JVM. There are countless applications for what MRTG could be used for in a Graphing sense.

I wouldn't think Comcast would publish, to the public, bandwidth utilization on any of its private links. I could very well be wrong, but I wouldn't think the transparency would be there, and not for the most obvious reasons. I would think Comcast would keep those numbers to themselves due to security reasons more than anything else. There may be some generic graphs out there, but I wouldn't think anything specific as to what you are asking. My guess would be someone on the inside would have to provide those graphs, and they are bound by a signed contract not to divulge that type of information.

I could be wrong, but my 2ยข

David
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

Re: [Connectivity] March Netflix Rankings - Following Direct Interconnection

On the test video on Netflix, how long is it suppose to take to get to 5000 kbps on a 50 meg connection?

dslcreature
Premium Member
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

dslcreature to bigjohn

Premium Member

to bigjohn

Re: [Connectivity] Re: March Netflix Rankings - Following Direct Interconnection

This is what happens when ISPs are allowed to get too big they distort the market obtaining special leverage over others. The same applies equally to content. Rather than working cooperatively with common goal of making mutual customers happy we all get to be victims of childish behavior.

ISP hosting of CDN is supposed to be a no-brainer mutually beneficial relationship. You really have to work the distortion field knob for it to lead somewhere else.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

ISP hosting of CDN (NetFlix) content without a business arrangement that is equally available to other parties would encroach (more) severely upon "net neutrality" than NetFlix purchasing transit directly from Comcast instead of indirectly through a third party like Cogent. How does Google, Apple, Microsoft, Hulu, CBS, ABC, ESPN, Broadband Reports, Arstechnica, Techdirt, Slashdot (and so forth) get a similar arrangement to host their content directly on the ISP networks?

Yes, we all like NetFlix - they help lower the cost of viewing content that is often overvalued, but its far more likely that NetFlix if only by virtue of their vendor choices has a more nefarious role in the recent trouble than Comcast. Comcast does things on a regular basis which earns it criticism that it rightly receives, but this just isn't one of them.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
said by train_wreck:

i would think that at least, having diverted some of Netflix's traffic off of Cogent and on to these direct links, that any other traffic going over Cogent would perform better. So kind of a side-benefit thing.

Yes I am seeing much better performance when crossing Cogent links. Getting 488.42 Mbit/s right now from my gigabit colo (over v6) which is single-homed via Cogent.

Before the Netflix peering, I was seeing 100mbit/s tops during peak hours.

davidc502
Mount Juliet, TN

davidc502

That's just 1 gigabit pipe out of hundreds or more of Gigabit pipes Cogent has? I'm just saying it's a very small cross-section of their network.
Expand your moderator at work