uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to LittleBill

to LittleBill

Re: Neighbor walked away from his house

said by LittleBill :

that said a person simply walking away from a house because they are upside down is not a morally good decision. it screws all paying people like me. i don't give a shit what his reason for walking was

Morality in today's business climate, give me a break. Corporations walk away from their responsibilities all the time when it doesn't make economic sense, look at GM's ignition problem. A good example are banks not taking care of the foreclosed properties they own, through a lack of maintenance.

I'd rather live in a HOA because people have to follow basic rules, like don't park your big rig on the street. Now I'm not fond of condos personally. I want at least some grass between me and the next guy.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to cowboyro

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

A property is never an investment unless you rent it out or there is a major abnormality in the market. Historically property values have been constant when adjusted for inflation.
If you don't want "undesirables" then don't buy in a cheap neighborhood. High taxes and property costs will always prevent them from ever getting in even if the value drops 25%. In a good neighborhood a foreclosure will not drop your house's value any more than a regular sale. After all the selling price is what someone is willing to pay for the house in that condition, not an imaginary number computed from "similar" houses. In a bad neighborhood where nobody really wants to get in, a very low price might tempt some... but that's a different story.

He is afraid someone like me would see a cheap foreclosure and pounce. But if HOA that should still control the visible riff raff stuff..
Plus the higher taxes and HOA fees should keep out the really poor like me.
But as he or she clarified they are looking at moving soon. Cheaper foreclosure nearby vs. their house.

I live in I guess a ghetto. Ok Phoenix metro doggy poo. Goes from ok to bad to ok to upper to ok to bad quick. Still with everything my price survived and think of it as home not investment. Otehrs gave good recommendations to rent or maybe sell before anyone kniows of foreclosures.
But my wife was talking to a friend who has family thatt lives in a very good neighborhood on a small mountain metro Phoenix. Ok very small city type hill mountain in Phoenix speak.
Since backyard is on mountain their fencing is open not solid so nice visuals. they get snakes, scorpions and all sorts of fun stuff. Coyotes may want to jump the fence and eat their small dog. ( I even once saw a really lost Coyote on my street. No green golf course nearby and not inner city but getting close. Poor soul was lost dont know what became of him. )
Seriously, my wife was laughing. We grew up rural areas, me in AZ and her in NM. That is normal stuff. But no they have money in a scenic subdivision in a metro area nature should be tame. They have an HOA and at least one of the people complaining does have gate guards HOA.
Foreclosures and nature should never affect the wealthy good people .

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

I'd rather live in a HOA because people have to follow basic rules, like don't park your big rig on the street. Now I'm not fond of condos personally. I want at least some grass between me and the next guy.

I prefer to live around people who just don't do stupid crap not because they aren't allowed but because they aren't dumb pieces of crap.

If my neighbor was a jerk that were to part an 18wheeler in the road I'd ask him to not do it and if they still do then I'd call the cops because its illegal to block a mailbox.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

2 edits

nonymous (banned) to LittleBill

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

when i looked for a house, first thing i did say to my realtor was not to even waste his time sending me HOA property

that said a person simply walking away from a house because they are upside down is not a morally good decision. it screws all paying people like me. i don't give a shit what his reason for walking was

We dont know unless the OP has insider knowledge.
i mean if the people lost jobs etc. or payment went beyond their means.
I guess upside done from reading here terms may change?
But unless it was more an investment and not a home walking away is not a good thing. They do pay. It is not oh well. Trust me someone will come after them and it will haunt them unless it was just an investment and maybe in say an investment name or something and investment takes the loss and not them.
If it was where they lived and not just one of many places they could live but their real home and they walked away they took a hit. If it was just an investment and staying there as ok and one of many then maybe not.
True investors may take hits on rentals or speculations etc. If they take a hit on their main residence they like they are hurting.
OP says upside down but as said before even here improving again. So unless bought at top top market?
I guess my family is poor ghetto people in a small ghetto none hoa house. (rentals are very bad now a good plus to have bank owned mortgage). But we have no landlords. We do what we want no HOA but someone hates any weeds in our yard. ( city puts warning when weeds grow after rain no one else gets them).
But the bank owns it and we are happy not renting. We are not in it for profit and we knew would be here some time so better to own than rent. If only a short time in a place or know move within x years renting may be better unless as OP roll the dice on economy short term.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
I am NOT EVEN going to go into what you mean by "undesirables" as I already know what you mean .

I bought in 2007 just before the market tanked and my house hasn't still recovered. I have no sympathy for you and the next door neighbor's desire to "walk away". Tons of people have done it, and tons of people have bought said foreclosed homes for cheap. If you don't like the price you get when you sell, then tough luck.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by LittleBill :

Morality in today's business climate, give me a break. Corporations walk away from their responsibilities all the time when it doesn't make economic sense, look at GM's ignition problem. A good example are banks not taking care of the foreclosed properties they own, through a lack of maintenance.

Morality is morality , there are no "climates". just say your not moral at least you know what side of the line you stand on.

AzDragonLord
join:2003-10-21
Florence, AZ

1 edit

AzDragonLord to Badger3k

to Badger3k
said by Badger3k:

... I would think the gated community and HOA fee alone would rule out most "bad" neighbors pretty quick.

It would also keep out some good ones!
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to LittleBill

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

said by bbbc:

said by LittleBill :

Morality is morality , there are no "climates". just say your not moral at least you know what side of the line you stand on.

Unless they had it ties up in some investment thing not in their name they took a hit. Yes walked away but it will haunt them.
We dont have firing squads to kill people that screw HOAs though Op would like that. ( »x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadia ok xfiles not firing squad).

If they lived there and walked out maybe couldnt pay and left before bank repo. What throw a block party with last money say sorry broke leaving.

Plus ask again does upside down get penalties on the mortgage?
nonymous

nonymous (banned) to Salty_Peaks

to Salty_Peaks
sort of ot. During the boom California prices where though the roof. People sold their house their and bought in Phoenix cheaper. Worked telco those years,
New people selling I want to say ghetto house now moving up to large house in a new community. Cloth hes packed in trash bags. But a house way more expensive than mine. Maybe a moving on up shipper but they packed ghetto.
Oh yes i feel safer in my true doggie poo than some newer speculation stuff.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Badger3k

Premium Member

to Badger3k
I'm stunned the HOA hasn't swooped in and picked up the house. Thus avoiding the "foreclosure" stigma.
Everything I've read about an HOA makes that seem to be the norm. Even to the point of kicking a homeowner out of their home just for the "sin" of not paying HOA fees.
Interesting that this HOA seems a tad lax.
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to medbuyer

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

you still DON'T get to be a judge on other people's decision on what to do with their houses.

Pot is that you? Kettle's around here somewhere, I just saw him.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Salty_Peaks

to Salty_Peaks
»x-files.wikia.com/wiki/Arcadia xfiles solution
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to Boricua

to Boricua
said by Boricua:

. If you don't like the price you get when you sell, then tough luck.

So hes a racist? Why is this guy being made out o be the bad guy for wanting to know if there is something he can do to protect his investment? Would you guys prefer everyone would fail? Does someone deserve to lose value just because that have money? You people are cracked.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Salty_Peaks

MVM

to Salty_Peaks
said by Salty_Peaks :

I put 50% down and financed a 15 year loan as an FHA insured loan fixed at 3.5% APR

You had 50% in cash, and still used FHA? That was rather foolish.

But to answer your original question, short of maintaining the grass/landscaping, there is nothing you can do about it.

plzbetrollin
@optonline.net

3 recommendations

plzbetrollin to Salty_Peaks

Anon

to Salty_Peaks
said by Salty_Peaks :

The HOA has been exceptional and we've already had a few cases where there were excess vehicles parked in front of a residence during a funeral wake and it was handled with tact and professionalism.

You must be trolling, someone died and you bitched about "too many cars"? Look just tell that line to any potential buyers. No one is going to move in, just talk about how GOOD the HOA is... give that story. I'm being serious here too... I'd run away from that whole area hearing that line.

And just in general ya your house was not an investment, because guess what... you lost money on it... a house is nothing but a way for people to have something with a large value because almost no one can hold onto 250k in cash, BUT they can hold onto a 250k house that cost them 420k to buy.
LittleBill

3 recommendations

LittleBill

said by plzbetrollin :

said by Salty_Peaks :

The HOA has been exceptional and we've already had a few cases where there were excess vehicles parked in front of a residence during a funeral wake and it was handled with tact and professionalism.

You must be trolling, someone died and you bitched about "too many cars"? Look just tell that line to any potential buyers. No one is going to move in, just talk about how GOOD the HOA is... give that story. I'm being serious here too... I'd run away from that whole area hearing that line.

I have to agree, show them what kind of asshole you are. you would probably be assaulted at my house, if someone told me there are too many cars during a funeral, how classless are you?
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

Property taxes fell for a couple of years

hahaha. Thats funny. Around here property taxes go up as property values fall.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
Ask the HOA to vote an assessment to maintain the properties and keep the utilities on to prevent deterioration if they can't get the foreclosing lender to do so. You can also pass a rule forbidding posting of for sale signs.

However, that won't keep the property's status secret. There are a blue million web sites as well as public records that provide that information.

We looked at gated communities in South FL, but they all look like upscale cookie cutter homes. BEIGE, Beige, beige - no color, no diversity, nobody knows their neighbors. It's like Malvina Reynolds/Pete Seeger's 'Little Boxes'. Then, there's always the HOA rule nazis who roam the development with rules in hand to complain about the color of your curtains or the wrong color hibiscus in your landscaping.

I'm sure there are common sense communities, but we just never found any.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
What is a undesirable person?
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by bbbc:

I prefer to live around people who just don't do stupid crap not because they aren't allowed but because they aren't dumb pieces of crap.

If my neighbor was a jerk that were to part an 18wheeler in the road I'd ask him to not do it and if they still do then I'd call the cops because its illegal to block a mailbox.

Phoenix has codes to that. My wifes friend years ago had boyfrind truck driver he parked overnight to rest and see her to code.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to plzbetrollin

MVM

to plzbetrollin
said by plzbetrollin :

You must be trolling, someone died and you bitched about "too many cars"?

said by LittleBill:

I have to agree, show them what kind of asshole you are. you would probably be assaulted at my house, if someone told me there are too many cars during a funeral, how classless are you?

I missed the part where he said he was the one that reported it.

Yes, someone was an asshole for reporting and the HOA was no better to say a) it's a funeral (wake), let's show some respect and b) realize it's temporary and not likely to be a frequent occurrence.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to plzbetrollin

to plzbetrollin
gee misssd that one.
nonymous

nonymous (banned) to dmagerl

to dmagerl
said by dmagerl:

said by PrntRhd:

truthfully an issue. Prices going back up here but will percent taxes fall.
They kept things the same during downturn by raising percent tax but now that houses appraise more will they lower them again?
LittleBill

LittleBill to Hall

to Hall
sure doesn't seem like he had an issue with it
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to H_T_R_N

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

Why is this guy being made out o be the bad guy for wanting to know if there is something he can do to protect his investment? Would you guys prefer everyone would fail? Does someone deserve to lose value just because that have money? You people are cracked.

There's nothing you really can do in a market (short of possibly maintaining the exterior of the neighbouring home and hoping no one finds out its real status). I think that's the point here.

If I think my house is worth $y and my neighbour just sold for $x which is 10% lower than what I'm asking, what you do you think the market is going to do? If my neighbour was a motivated seller and just needed to get out, their sale inevitably affects mine. That's the nature of the beast.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd hope the house got sold, to who ever, as quickly as possible, so that it wasn't the most recent sale when I put mine up. At least a buffer of a few higher sales would protect the OP's value.

Unless we're talking crackhouses, I'm pretty sure as long as the neighbourhood's good, a less than friendly neighbour will fly under the radar until after a closing.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

3 edits

PrntRhd to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

said by dmagerl:

said by PrntRhd:

truthfully an issue. Prices going back up here but will percent taxes fall.
They kept things the same during downturn by raising percent tax but now that houses appraise more will they lower them again?

California Prop 13 makes the counties adjust the valuation when the value drops, and it also caps the increase in rates per year even when it rises. So we got two years of some relief and now it is back to the baseline on valuation. I pay much lower property tax here than many states but we have a high sales tax and income tax to make up for the difference.

Rental rates rose despite the downturn.

The OP is apparently in a non California state so the situation there is different.

When there are large numbers of both foreclosures in an area and short sales, they reduce the normal asking price for a home since no one is interested in buying your property at full price when "bargains" can be had for much less, albeit with some risk as to the condition of the unoccupied dwelling.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to Salty_Peaks

Premium Member

to Salty_Peaks
Here in Illinois property taxes are capped at a 5% increase in taxes or to the CPI, whichever's less.

So in years of falling property values, the tax levy can still go up by the CPI.

Plus, they're allowed to recoup "current growth". So if the population increases by x percent, they're allowed to add that percentage into the levy too.

These past years where property values have fallen like a rock, our taxes have actually gone through the roof.

Even if there is no growth and no CPI increase, taxes as a percentage of property values goes up because the taxes stay the same while the property value goes down.

It's lose lose for anyone owning property in Illinois.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 recommendation

Pacrat to Salty_Peaks

MVM

to Salty_Peaks
What does any of this have to do with "Home Improvements"??? OP is looking for legal advice, and it sounds like he can afford a lawyer.
Expand your moderator at work

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Re: Neighbor walked away from his house

With my HOA (which is pretty terrible in terms of being much of an HOA), the association cannot take any action on a house or homeowner without some type of approval. So they cannot just start spending association money to take care of an abandoned home or do anything about someone that hasn't paid the fee. As far as not paying fees, I think the worst they can do is put liens on your property for what you owe, not kick you out of the house... but I could be wrong.