Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather

Re: Know your rights in Canada

Also a classic. However I maintain that one can be polite while still asserting one's rights.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by urbanriot:

I'd say it's never in anyone's best interests to 'walk away' from a police officer.

I'd say it's never in ones interest to be near a cop unless you are a victim or selling donuts.

I certainly agree with that sentiment but sometimes a person winds up in the wrong place at the wrong time or simply pulled over for whatever reason. I've been there many times, both intentionally and unintentionally, and I've never had any issues since I've given law enforcement the interaction required to get past the experience.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by urbanriot:

I'd say it's never in anyone's best interests to 'walk away' from a police officer.

I'd say it's never in ones interest to be near a cop unless you are a victim or selling donuts.

LOL
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to RobinK

Premium Member

to RobinK
I can't view Youtube at work, but I've seen a few videos where the driver in the US has asserted his rights and you see it all via a dash cam,

I saw one where the guy was very polite, the cop kept telling him to lower his window and decided to raise his voice like it was supposed to scare the guy or something.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

My dash cam makes for a perfect audio recording of all traffic stops.
ricodredd
join:2014-01-04

ricodredd

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· j0S9cBxU

Relevant to this thread, though honestly, its not information that is for everyone.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Is this the guy labelled as a terrorist who is part of that freeman movement we've had a couple of threads about?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Yup

Jeffer71
join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71 to RobinK

to RobinK
I was pulled over at a Ride Checkpoint (One cop standing in the middle of the road) in Consecon on Sunday Afternoon. He demanded that I roll down my window more, in which I politely refused. He then stated I was at a Ride checkpoint and asked me if I was drinking. I told him I don't answer Police questioning without a lawyer. My answer didn't even phase him and he told me to go on without even asking for zee papers.

I did nothing wrong, I wasn't rude and asserted my rights. 9/10 times they won't waste time with you. That 1 out of 10 can get very interesting though. I usually chalk it up to a Cop with a ego.

I also have a dash cam which records audio/video and my cell phone records directly to the cloud if need be and state that if I need to. I find when the Police know they are being recorded they are well behaved, don't lie or play intimidation games.

Also never give consent to have yourself or vehicle searched or show fear with Police.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Jeffer71:

I was pulled over at a Ride Checkpoint (One cop standing in the middle of the road) in Consecon on Sunday Afternoon. He demanded that I roll down my window more, in which I politely refused. He then stated I was at a Ride checkpoint and asked me if I was drinking. I told him I don't answer Police questioning without a lawyer. My answer didn't even phase him and he told me to go on without even asking for zee papers.

I did nothing wrong, I wasn't rude and asserted my rights. 9/10 times they won't waste time with you. That 1 out of 10 can get very interesting though. I usually chalk it up to a Cop with a ego.

what would have been wrong with simply rolling your window down a bit??...he was likely just wanting to find out if he could smell booze (or something ) to see if you were driving under the influence...he was doing his job, to try and keep people who shouldn't be driving, off the roads...you know, so can get home safely.

Jeffer71
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71

It was rolled down far enough for me to hear what he had to say or to pass my ID to him if need be. Also being a free citizen and being demanded to do something I don't have to do by law gets my hackles up.

I'm not there to have a conversation with him, he's not my friend, he hasn't pulled me over to do me any favours and he certainly is not sticking any part of his self or tools into my vehicle without a search warrant.

I choose to take advantage of my rights. If other people wish to waive theirs that's their choice. If the Officer wanted to keep people from drinking, being in Consecon at 2 in the afternoon was the last place he should be.

AAAnonymous
@colba.net

AAAnonymous to Jeffer71

Anon

to Jeffer71
what do you use to record with your cell phone records directly to the cloud?
thx

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

what would have been wrong with simply rolling your window down a bit??...he was likely just wanting to find out if he could smell booze (or something ) to see if you were driving under the influence.

He wasn't required to. Just because the cop "wants" to search you and your car interior without probable cause doesn't mean you have to let them.

AAAnonymous
@colba.net

AAAnonymous to Jeffer71

Anon

to Jeffer71
what do you use to record with your cell phone directly to the cloud?
thx

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark

Yes, I've had little success finding anything that actually works, please tell what app you use.
Mark

Mark to RobinK

to RobinK
As an aside, the issue of roadside 'RIDE' programs has seen 2 trips to the Supreme Court and both times eked out the narrowest 4-3 split with the Chief Justice a dissenter...oh so close!

Jeffer71
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71 to AAAnonymous

to AAAnonymous
»bambuser.com/broadcasts

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

what would have been wrong with simply rolling your window down a bit??...he was likely just wanting to find out if he could smell booze (or something ) to see if you were driving under the influence.

He wasn't required to. Just because the cop "wants" to search you and your car interior without probable cause doesn't mean you have to let them.

cops don't want to search your car during a ride program...they want you to put your window down so they can tell if you are drinking...in other words, they are trying to catch the drunk drivers on the roads to make it safer for the rest of the people who follow the rules.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to Jeffer71

Premium Member

to Jeffer71
said by Jeffer71:

It was rolled down far enough for me to hear what he had to say or to pass my ID to him if need be. Also being a free citizen and being demanded to do something I don't have to do by law gets my hackles up.

I'm not there to have a conversation with him, he's not my friend, he hasn't pulled me over to do me any favours and he certainly is not sticking any part of his self or tools into my vehicle without a search warrant.

it may be easy enough for you to hear him, but perhaps it is difficult for him to hear you...the inside of your car is somewhat insulated from the noises outside...there would be more ambient noise outside, so it makes it more difficult for him to hear you than for you to hear him...also, having the window open more allows the officer to detect the smell of alcohol if you were drinking.

come to think of it, perhaps we should just ditch ride programs altogether...the people killed by drunk drivers would help to lower the unemployment rates...if a few mothers, grandparents and kids get taken out too, oh well...at least the drunk's rights weren't hindered by asking him to roll his window down so the officer could ask him a few questions at a ride program.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark

Ok, give it up already...everyone knows how you feel. MOVE ON.

Jeffer71, thanks for the bambuser link!!! Used SNAP as I am on BB10 and it loads, runs and records to the cloud flawlessly. I feel much safer having this app now....and funny, it isn't the 'bad' guys I feel much safer from.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Mark:

Ok, give it up already...everyone knows how you feel. MOVE ON.

and i could say the same about a few of you too.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

come to think of it, perhaps we should just ditch ride programs altogether...the people killed by drunk drivers would help to lower the unemployment rates...if a few mothers, grandparents and kids get taken out too, oh well...at least the drunk's rights weren't hindered by asking him to roll his window down so the officer could ask him a few questions at a ride program.

Still taking the "if you're not with us, you're with the drunks!" point of view, eh?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

No, you're replying to his post out of context.

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121 to RobinK

to RobinK
geez .. i don't understand why the need to be difficult .. just think of some of the riff-raff cops have to deal with on a daily basis .. i'm a bit sympathetic that it could make one a bit jaded over time ..

the cops have a job to do .. yes, there's a few bad apples but most cops are decent .. cooperate to help them do their job & you're on your way shortly .. everyone wins ..

in my decades of driving, i've been stopped a few times .. i've always been polite & cooperated .. then i'm merrily on my way ..

cheers from Toronto ..

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

1 recommendation

nitzguy to Jeffer71

Premium Member

to Jeffer71
said by Jeffer71:

I choose to take advantage of my rights. If other people wish to waive theirs that's their choice. If the Officer wanted to keep people from drinking, being in Consecon at 2 in the afternoon was the last place he should be.

So YOU'RE the driver that always tailgates me (people like you) that drive me insane....get off my ass already!

Also, I don't know anything about rural eastern Ontario, but its a known fact that more drinking and driving happens in the daytime vs. the nighttime....check your facts.

That's why they've extended the RIDE stops to the daytime....and you know what, if it finds just 1 drunk driver out of 10,000 stops, you'll be thankful that they were out there doing their f**king job and protecting you from yourself, because if they weren't and a drunk goes over the centre line and gets in a head-on collision with you and you're dead...your dash cam, your backup to the cloud will just be horrific reminders to your family about how you're gone...and that's it.

Get a clue people...people die because of drunk drivers who continue to flaunt the rules ALL THE TIME.

Maybe if it happens to someone who you care about you'll have a different mindset when coming up to those RIDE checks.....until then, just keep quiet, be polite to the officer and don't throw this lawyer crap, this isn't the US.
Expand your moderator at work

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

2 edits

Ian1 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0

Re: Know your rights in Canada

said by dirtyjeffer0:

they want you to put your window down so they can tell if you are drinking...in other words, they are trying to catch the drunk drivers on the roads to make it safer for the rest of the people who follow the rules.

They want to perform an illegal search. Got it.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Jeffer71

Premium Member

to Jeffer71
said by Jeffer71:

As someone who had a family member struck by a driver at twice the legal limit at 11am in the morning... there likely is no bad time for RIDE programs. 2 in the afternoon would likely hit lots of people hitting the roads after a few too many at lunch.

This weekend I saw some of the guys around the corner sitting drinking beers in the front yard. Nothing wrong with that (I'm planning to perhaps have a few on my deck this afternoon). That doesn't mean that some of them didn't drive there.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

they want you to put your window down so they can tell if you are drinking...in other words, they are trying to catch the drunk drivers on the roads to make it safer for the rest of the people who follow the rules.

They want to perform an illegal search. Got it.

not at all...they are looking for the scent of alcohol, slurring of words, etc...nothing more, nothing less.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

TLS2000 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

No, you're replying to his post out of context.

No, I wasn't. His context was that we should do whatever the cops want in order to facilitate their ability to conduct the RIDE program. His sarcasm at the end was very much in the context that I took it.