Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

ZyWall AC Access Point is dissapointing.

ZyXEL AC Access Point is 2 stream MIMO ... How idiotic is that? Apparently they have not learned how to guge the market IMO of course WOW ZyXEL wake up or fold.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Did you try these models and if so how did they compare?
What other ceiling mounts would you recommend?

lorennerol
Premium
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA
reply to mozerd
This is nothing new- they've always been awful at WiFi.

I can't speak to their carrier-grade stuff, but the only business products of theirs I use are routers and PoE injectors.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

Did you try these models and if so how did they compare?
What other ceiling mounts would you recommend?

Once I read the specs and inwardly digested the consequences of this unremarkable device I decided not to go with this product for a specific application my client wanted it for. I'm currently testing a EnGenius EWS360AP Neutron Series Dual-Band Wireless AC1750 Managed Indoor Access Point and its FAB unfortunately not released for sale yet but soon will be. Also I must say that I am becoming very partial to EnGenius -- thy are very helpful.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:12
I have my eye on this »www.ubnt.com/unifi#apac ...will let you know once I get it.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

said by Brano:

I have my eye on this »www.ubnt.com/unifi#apac ...will let you know once I get it.

I was considering this model but when I looked at the specs I got turned of by the 2x2 MIMO on 5 Ghz ... 2.4 Ghz does use 3x3 MIMO so I was very disappointed that they decided to go with 2x2.

With 3x3 range improves significant especially when spatial diversity is applied. I suspect that they decided on 2x2 for the 5 Ghz to save money and arrive at a specific price point to preserve their margins.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Hmm, good point, I did miss that.
On the other hand I like the two wired ports (fit's exactly my specific needs).
...now I have to re-consider

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by Brano:

Hmm, good point, I did miss that.
On the other hand I like the two wired ports (fit's exactly my specific needs).
...now I have to re-consider

Very strange

The UAP-AC offers
simultaneous dual-band operation with 3x3 MIMO
technology for each band. It has a range of up to 122 m
(400 ft) and two Gigabit Ethernet ports.

The above quote is from the this link

But the User Guide on the Specification Page for the UniFi AP-AC states

UniFi AP-AC

So Brano, I suggest that you check with Ubiquiti to find out if the specs are a typo or which spec is correct .... I hope its a typo because I also want to give it a try.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
My MISTAKE Brano, I was reading the wrong specification page --- sure glad I caught that

3x3 MIMO on both bands.

Actual AC 3 x 3 MIMO

So looks like I will be getting this one --- and it comes with a PoE Injector
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
I've e-mailed them and here is the answer
quote:
The UAP-AC offers simultaneous dual-band operation with 3x3 MIMO technology for each band(2.4GHZ and 5GHz).

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to mozerd
Very slick. Thanks. I have four APs in the house but none are ceiling mounts.
House is not wired for ceiling mounts. :-(

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Brano
Got the the Unifi AP-AC and one aspect struck me ... A beautiful engineered device and the granularity of control is 2nd to none. In fact the granularity makes me dizzy now the kicker, performance is outstanding ... Simply outstanding.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by mozerd:

Got the the Unifi AP-AC and one aspect struck me ... A beautiful engineered device and the granularity of control is 2nd to none. In fact the granularity makes me dizzy now the kicker, performance is outstanding ... Simply outstanding.

Sorry to report that the Unifi AP-AC, after being up and running for 7 days, is now performing poorly [very poorly] and to my surprise runs very warm with time. The performance drop is quite alarming especially starting on the 3rd day with further degradation going forward. The only way to recover performance is with a restart. Not a keeper from my perspective. Goes to reinforce that effective testing requires proper time allocation.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
That's a shame. But thank you for info, I almost ordered one.
Did you contact Ubiquity? What are they saying to it?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
I've been posting on their forum and will be in contact with them on Monday for a RMA. They may have some solution so I will pay attention but I currently doubt that.

tcquade

join:2012-03-24
Regina, SK
Thanks for the information. I was close to ordering a 3-pack.

Keep us posted on progress.

Ted

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to mozerd

Re: Ubiquity AC Access Point is dissapointing.

Maybe change the title LOL

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
reply to mozerd

Re: ZyWall AC Access Point is dissapointing.

And how is it behaving for the first 2-3 days?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Performance is excellent for 72 hours THEN the performance degradation starts and goes down hill from there...the only way to regain performance is to restart the unit [warm reboot]. This only applies to the 5 Ghz band ... the 2.4 Ghz band is not an issue. The Key point however is that this is an AC AP and as such AC is strictly 5 Ghz. Also to get effective AC performance one must use the 80 Mhz band and I am suspicious that Beamforming is not fully implanted. My beamforming clients do not gain any advantages which is why I am suspicious. The 2.4.6 Controller is being replaced with the 3 but its a RC and very buggy so I reverted back to 2.4.6. btw, documentation is incomplete so you have to do a lot of forum reading.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
said by mozerd:

The Key point however is that this is an AC AP and as such AC is strictly 5 Ghz. Also to get effective AC performance one must use the 80 Mhz channel band and I am suspicious that Beamforming is not fully implanted. My beamforming clients do not gain any advantages which is why I am suspicious. The 2.4.6 Controller is being replaced with the 3 but its a RC and very buggy so I reverted back to 2.4.6. btw, documentation is incomplete so you have to do a lot of forum reading.

[UPDATE]
I've resolved the performance issues --- and regardless of the fact that I've had 20+ years of experience YOU cannot take anything for granted especially when you should know better
My test lab is SURROUNDED with AC and 5Ghz wireless radios --- two months ago I did a site survey and found 7 wireless systems -- a mix of g, n, a -- on Saturday I did another survey and now I have 22 wireless systems where 15 are AC -- so my AC space is very crowded and I had configured the AC channel selection to "Auto" ... once I set it to channel 161 my AC link speeds perked up considerably --- now its only been a couple of days so we will see how it goes --- fingers crossed. WOW !!!
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
Burlington, ON
Great! How about it running too hot? How hot? Is it an issue?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
It gets very warm -- not hot. Compared to all the other AC devices its in the same heat range -- between 55 and 66 degrees centigrade. Heat is always an issues as time marches on since the silicon degrades but I have no idea what the expected MTBF rate may be since every environment has its issues. With Air conditioning that type of heat generation may not be problematic but if no air conditioning I suspect greater failure rates.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
More updates at the following link
»community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/UAP-···#U812312

This one is definitely growing on me .... so I'm going to use it in a project currently underway. I hate the documentation but their Wiki and FAQ is very helpful.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
AC performance is disappointing --- so I'm dropping this one from my list. As a "N" device this enterprise grade AP performs quite well but its AC implementation is mediocre. Anyone interested in buying this unit contact me via PM.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Mozerd, just to be clear which device are you speaking of now? (that you want to sell).

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Ubiquity Unifi UAP-AC -- 1 month old

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to mozerd
I take issue with you stating how a unit is disappointing that you did not even test yourself. (ref title of thread)

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
Very Good point .... they are sending me one to test so I'll post an update end of June.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Now if I was to guess, your testing will fulfil the prophecy........ but facts are best LOL.