spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SteelersFan
join:2001-02-12
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

[Windows] Weird Unknown Network Error

Set-up is two computers, both running Windows 7, one a desktop (LAN connected) and one a laptop (wireless connected). Both running Chrome. Try downloading the same file from both machines off a website. The LAN connected desktop gives me an Unknown Network Error after a bit and cancels the downloads. The wireless laptop finishes the download. What gives? Ping test on the desktop computer check out with a grade of A and download speed of 45Mbps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I would posit that this problem is related to the other problem you posted but haven't responded to as yet.

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

I think this is unrelated. I actually figured out my other issue. It was a wireless printer that for some reason claimed a static ip address without me having to set it up that way.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
Ok, when you say both machines are running Chrome, do you mean the OS or the browser? I'm assuming the file transfer(s) are being initiated via a browser URL file download?

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

Both are running Chrome Browser. Yes, url download.
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
have you tried another cable on the wired computer?

have you tried another port on the router/switch that the wired computer is connected to?

do you have another nic to test with?

what if you try with another browser, same issue?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
said by SteelersFan:

The LAN connected desktop gives me an Unknown Network Error after a bit and cancels the downloads.

In addition to the questions tomdlgns See Profile posited, I'd add the following

- is it ONLY this file / site that gives this error?

- do other sites / files give the same error?

- what is the make / model of NIC card, and driver version?

- have you tried or are you able to try to D/L the file via the desktop / LAN connection but on another internet, ie.
taking it to a friend's house and trying the D/L again?

Just my immediate 00000010bits to try and isolate this down

Regards

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

Serbtastic to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
Have you manually set an MTU value on the desktop?

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

No I haven't done this. The only tests I've run was speedtest.net and pingtest.net. Both reported exceptional results so I'm unsure why the network error. File size seems irrelevant too as I remotely connected to that computer using Teamviewer and tried to download a relatively small e-mail attachment and Chrome gave me the error. The next try it did download it so it's apparently an intermittent issue. Is there anyway to check a ping for a longer period of time. Basically a larger test pattern to see if the LAN is carrying the signal consistently?
SteelersFan

SteelersFan to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller; Realtek Drive Date 12/18/2009; Driver Version 7.12.1218.2009
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
check a ping from your computer to any site/ip?

sure, in cmd prompt type in

ping 'IP address or site url' -t and press enter

press ctrl + c to stop, check the stats on the screen.

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

2 edits

SteelersFan

I ran the test to dslreports.com and I received the following replies:
71ms, 73ms, 69ms, 71ms, 70ms, 74ms, request timed out, 70ms, 71ms, 70ms, 69ms, request timed out, 67ms, 72ms and then I stopped it.

Packets sent=15; received =13; Lost =2; avg min 67ms, max. 70ms, avg. 71ms

I then ran a longer report and received the following summary:

Packets sent = 76; received = 73; lost =3;
67ms; 81ms; avg. 70 ms

Finally, ran a test on google.com

packets sent = 65; received 65; lost = 0
min 49ms; max 65ms; avg. 50 ms

I also tested the router @ 192.168.1.254 and received the following results:

Sent=219; Received = 219; Lost = 0%
Min = 0ms; Max = 10ms; Avg. = 0ms

Perhaps it was a setting in my antivirus program. I'm using 360 Internet Security and there was an option to block LAN viruses. I unchecked and haven't noticed an issue. These numbers otherwise look okay, no?
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

my ping to google came back with 28ms response time, but what you show wouldn't make a download stop/not start/etc...

i have had a/v block downloads (usually if they are .exe's), that would be another thing to check between the two computers (a/v settings if both are running the same a/v software).
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
I'd be more worried about packetloss than the latency.

A better test would be pinging to the site where you're downloading this file from, rather that using google / DSLR.

Also, still waiting for your response to these questions

- have you tried or are you able to try to D/L the file via the desktop / LAN connection but on another internet, ie.

Regards

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

So I'd like to revisit this issue (because I still have it). I tried to download 1 GB file from thinkbroadbank.com/download.html and both in Chrome and IE 64-bit the file being downloaded freezes after a certain period of time. It works fine from my wi-fi laptop. The ping for the download at that website reports the following:
min - 136ms; max - 141ms; avg. 137ms - loss 0%; I do notice that internet explorer is more persistent with the download than Chrome. Chrome gives me the unknown network error a lot sooner. Any other ideas?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
...aaaand still waiting for answers to these 3 questions.
quote:

The fact that it works fine over wifi over the same internet connection (I'm presumung) indicates things are isolated
more in the direction of the specific computer having the problem itself.

Wireshark MAY be an option at this point, if you're willing to give it a shot.

My 00000010bits

Regards

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

2 edits

SteelersFan

No, other sites give me errors. When I transfer from my laptop (wifi) to this computer (lan) and vice versa everything is great. The website I'm downloading from works fine off my other computers whether wi-fi or lan. I have some additional information that might be helpful.

It seems that when downloading the file starts off good and then it just almost pauses and changes to 0 KB/s after awhile and then gives me the Unknown Network Error. It's almost as if either (i) the modem card is timing out, or (ii) error correction or something isn't working after awhile. I can download the same file just fine off a wi-fi computer.I also tried two different LAN runs I have running from the LAN computer to the switch and it happens to both of them.My configuration is LAN workstation to switch to router.

Any other ideas? Is my modem card possibly going bad? I may be off, but it kind of started to happen when I switched to the Motorola NGR589 via Uverse, but I'm not completely sure of that.

Just bizarre.
SteelersFan

SteelersFan

Looks like I may have fixed the problem. Simple as shutting Windows Firewall off. I'm now downloading at a fast 4.0MB/s which was a speed I was never getting. So could someone please tell me what I can do in lieu of Windows Firewall or modifying its settings and why it may have been impacting my speed to a point of a network error. Thanks.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
That's why I suggested wireshark; to see at a packet level what was happening.

As for Windows Firewall, no suggestions from this quarter. It's pretty much an "on or off" setting with no middle ground.

Regards

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

I looked at Wireshark, but it was like reading hieroglyphics. Thanks though.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by SteelersFan:

but it was like reading hieroglyphics.

Good, then you're 1/2 way there! No, seriously. If you have the capture, and can input "ip.addr==[pc IP with the problem]
&& ip.addr==[destination IP where it's downloading the file from]" into the filter bar at the tope, then that's the start point.
The rest is just figuring out the packets.

If you're able to do the capture up until you get the problem, set the filter above, and attach the file, I can see about
helping you out to read the capture itself.

Regards

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

I finally took your advise because I'm so tired of this happening. I ran the 1GB download from thinkbroadband.com and was going to attach the report, but it's more than 50mb limitation here. It's actually 200,000 KB. Is there a way I can get it to you or a portion that you need? Download started out fairly fast at 3Mbps and then died down to zero before erroring out. I'm so tired of this problem.
SteelersFan

SteelersFan

Okay, I think it's the cat 5e cable. I plugged my laptop into the same wire and only got 1/5 of the 1GB download per thinkbroadband, but received the whole file wirelessly. So can anyone shed some light on why a cat 5e run of say 40ft would timeout and is there anything I can do short of an access point or moving it to wireless?
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

is this a patch cable....from a wall drop to your computer? or is this the only cable between you and your router/switch?

if it is a patch cable, swap it out. those can go bad over time (depending on use). if it is not a patch cable and it is a direct run/connection into your switch/router you, it could be a number of things that happen when cable is ran behind walls, ceilings, etc...

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

There's four home made cables involved in the entire run.

1. Cable from computer to keyjack.
2. Cable from keyjack to 8-port switch.
3. Cable from switch to keyjack.
4. Cable from keyjack to router.

Before I start redoing cables though, is this the kind of issue that could occur with a faulty cable. I mean why would the dowload start out blazing fast and then peeter our randomly?
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
Only thing I can think of is a combination of compressing it via ZIP or similar, then splitting the files into chunks.

200MB in size, and this is after setting that filter I advised you earlier?
said by SteelersFan:

is this the kind of issue that could occur with a faulty cable

Without looking at the capture and without replacing the cable, ANYTHING is suspect.
...or as my network troubleshooting methodology goes : physical layer first, then move up the OSI stack.

Regards
HELLFIRE

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
Click for full size
SteelersFan See Profile , to answer your PM question

In the Wireshark interface, you should see the following bar (highlighted in red) near the top.

The first IP address should be the local LAN IP address of your computer -- I'm guessing it's something along the lines of 192.168.x.x.
As for the 2nd, simply do an NSLOOKUP of thinkbroadband.com from your computer and input accordingly.
Here's what I got from my end :

Server:  nsv.sldc.sbc.com
Address:  132.201.90.251

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    thinkbroadband.com
Addresses:  80.249.99.130

So in this case, if I were the one doing the capture, that's what I'd put as the filter.

So long as you got the string right, the background of the bar should turn green. After that, hit ENTER
and it should only filter those packets matching this expression.

Hope that helps you out.

Regards

SteelersFan
Rockwall, TX

SteelersFan

capture.pcapng.zip
13,482,858 bytes
okay. here it is.TIA.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to SteelersFan

Premium Member

to SteelersFan
i have seen some odd things happen with cables that have been slightly cut, pinched/kinked, twisted, mice/mouse, etc... chewing on it....the list goes on and on. swap out the easiest to access cables, obviously and go from there. at least you determined it is something physical with that drop (maybe the port is bad on the switch). take your existing patch cable (from computer to the wall) and plug it into the same port that is currently feeding that run. by doing this you rule out the patch cable you are using and the port on the router.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to SteelersFan

MVM

to SteelersFan
Can you doublecheck something for me? Is the IPv6 address of your computer 2602:306:bc5f:2050:30d1:47d2:a5f:b2ed ?

Can you also confirm what the IPv6 address is that you resolve for thinkbroadband.com? Is it 2a02:68:1:7::1?

Just to show you what I'm looking at, set this as a filter in wireshark : "tcp.stream eq 9" (minus the quotes)
If the two addresses are right, that's the entire conversation between your PC and the URL for the file 1GB.zip.
As you scroll through it, you'll see a bunch of black / red colored frames that are marked "TCP DUP ACK;" think
of them as equivalent to the times you get static / drops in a phone call and you have to say "hello?" a couple
times before you resume your conversation.

Starting at frame 14375 you see DUP ACKs and TCP Retransmissions -- just like a phone conversation on a poor
quality line, too much of this can end up with you spending more time yelling "hello, hello?" over the line
rather than carrying on a conversation, and you're liable to just hang up and dial again, again using our phone
analogy.

At that point, I can't make heads or tails of what's going on but it looks like both hosts still try and talk to
one another till finally 2602:306:bc5f:2050:30d1:47d2:a5f:b2ed tells 2a02:68:1:7::1 a FINACK -- equivalent to
saying "goodbye" in a conversation; one thing that bugs me is it's not the completely normal way to close a conversation in
TCP.

If you want a visual way of seeing what I'm seeing, go STATISTICS -> IO GRAPH in Wireshark. 35seconds into the transmission,
the whole 1GB.zip file flatllines except for a brief spurt. DEFINATELY not normal.

The good news is at a packet level, nothing screwy's going on : RST packets, zero window, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, wireshark is not a tool to find physical layer problems -- issues with the cable or NIC itself.

Think I said this before but
said by HELLFIRE:

The fact that it works fine over wifi over the same internet connection (I'm presumung) indicates things are isolated
more in the direction of the specific computer having the problem itself.

I'd say go with tomdlgns See Profile 's suggestions and see where we go.

My 00000010bits

Regards