spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Thenewguy201
join:2013-07-27

1 edit

Thenewguy201

[Firmware] Arris tg862 Update issues

The router had just received an update everything was fine but now webpages are hanging but only on the desktop I can use verizon dsl with no hitches of course the ping is higher and the speeds are lower. I can barely get my ps4 to work on online now but my netbook is working perfectly. Please fix this.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

Re: [Firmware] Update issues

Please help us help you fix this

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

To start, what is this router you speak of?
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201

It is a combo modem Arris tg862 It is the eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:7.6.59S

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to Thenewguy201

Premium Member

to Thenewguy201
What are your wireless settings on the gateway?

For best results, you want WPA2 with AES encryption for wireless security, a non-overlapping channel (1, 6 or 11 unless you know what the least interfering channel around you is), and at least NG-mixed mode for backwards compatibility (802.11b is rare and hinders wireless performance so there should be no risk of disabling that type of wireless device).

If there are more than these settings (plus SSID name), please share them.

Router range could have an effect with overall connection too, but I'm sure you know how to check signal strength on your devices.
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201

I'm on default settings and the signal strength is 5 bars.

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

I have a friend with tg862g and after the march 21 firmware update she can't connect her blue ray to the WiFi but everything else works fine

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to Thenewguy201

to Thenewguy201
do you get the same problem if you connect the desktop or PS4 to the router via ethernet?
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201 to redbeard916

to redbeard916
Yes I know what you mean almost every problem on here is with the tg862. I actually been having problems since that update but this made it worse.

I feel like i'm kinda testing an unfinished product. Performance was exceptional before those updates.

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

I hope they roll back or fix it
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201 to train_wreck

to train_wreck
Someone is occupying that room right now I will let you know when I get a chance. The network card is a tp-link 300mbps wireless n also works with the Atheros AR9287 which might use the same chip. Verizon dsl is having no problems working but it is slow as usual I believe it is a dns error.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to Thenewguy201

Premium Member

to Thenewguy201
This may just be a coincidence with what's happening. I would think that if it was a firmware problem, the Comcast forums would be flooded with people complaining more than usual.

With firmware updates, comes reboots, which also can cause wireless channel changes. Please do what was suggested above and choose either channel 1,6, or 11(no other) and see if any of those three work better.

Make sure to remember to post back once you hardwired the PS4.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA to Thenewguy201

Premium Member

to Thenewguy201
said by Thenewguy201:

Default settings would not be optimal because WPA-mixed is being used and Auto channel scan never detects the channel with least interference on any router i've used. You want WPA2 only (allows for the fastest N+ speeds) and of course an open channel (even though you say you have 5 bars, there still can be connection issues from the interference).

If you had an app for your phone or laptop etc. it would be easier to detect the least interfering channel.

Basically with your problem its an authentication issue either on your PS4 or the modem.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by MDA:

said by Thenewguy201:

If you had an app for your phone or laptop etc. it would be easier to detect the least interfering channel.

Most of the phone app versions of these programs are really stupid. I would say that only the inSSIDer app does a good job, but it costs a lot now. The stupidest best channel app I have ever seen is the Netgear WiFi Analytics app. It bases the best channel based on # of APs and not strength of them on a channel. It also doesn't take into consideration overlapping. If you have 10 APs on 4 and 10 on 6 and 1 on 5, it'll say channel 5 is amazing. On top of all of that, it won't rank a channel unless there's an AP found on it lol. So if you have tons of networks on channel 6 and 11, it won't suggest 1 because there wasn't a network on it for the channel to be ranked...

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

MDA

Premium Member

I use wifi analyzer on android. The way wifi analyzers work is that it knows multiple AP's on the same channel range is always more amplified than 1 AP on a different channel. It also knows that if all non-overlapping channels are being used, it chooses from the ones with least AP's on it. That's all it can do since nothing more is free.

If you see a channel that is not being used and the analyzer doesn't recommend it, either its a bug in that app or its going by non-overlapping channels first (which is good).

In a suburban neighborhood, houses should be pretty spaced out where you can do 40mhz channels on 2.4ghz. In a tight-nit environment like the neighborhoods of Washington DC or New York, there's like 4-5 AP's on each of those 11 channels. That's where 5ghz is great.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by MDA:

I use wifi analyzer on android. The way wifi analyzers work is that it knows multiple AP's on the same channel range is always more amplified than 1 AP on a different channel. It also knows that if all non-overlapping channels are being used, it chooses from the ones with least AP's on it. That's all it can do since nothing more is free.

If you see a channel that is not being used and the analyzer doesn't recommend it, either its a bug in that app or its going by non-overlapping channels first (which is good).

In a suburban neighborhood, houses should be pretty spaced out where you can do 40mhz channels on 2.4ghz. In a tight-nit environment like the neighborhoods of Washington DC or New York, there's like 4-5 AP's on each of those 11 channels. That's where 5ghz is great.

I would rate WiFi Analyzer as #2 compared to the inSSIDer app. It could be better with channel suggestions. Oh, the Netgear app isn't doing anything at all right. If you ever tried it out, you would see what a mess it is. Say I see only one AP on each of these channels, 1,2,3. The Netgear app will only suggest what channel is best out of those 3 channels. It won't even bother mentioning the other channels such as 11 which are completely open. Some apps just shouldn't be on Google Play.
mtrai
join:2004-12-16
Panama City, FL

mtrai to Thenewguy201

to Thenewguy201

Re: [Firmware] Arris tg862 Update issues

I am not sure what changed with the eMTA, as I have the same one. I reported the changes between the versions here a few days ago.

To the good news, my download and upload speeds improved with the new firmware.

To the bad news, today Comcast had some spotty issues with their network in several geographic areas, which has been resolved.

Hope you figure it out.

It would be helpful to see what your signals levels are as well.
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201

Its working now. Its great probably the my issue was what they had just fixed

Signal levels
Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Frequency
687.00 MHz
651.00 MHz
657.00 MHz
663.00 MHz
669.00 MHz
675.00 MHz
681.00 MHz
693.00 MHz
SNR
37.64 dB
37.64 dB
37.94 dB
37.09 dB
37.94 dB
37.94 dB
37.94 dB
37.64 dB
Power
8.43 dBmV
8.37 dBmV
8.58 dBmV
8.60 dBmV
8.21 dBmV
8.26 dBmV
8.32 dBmV
8.35 dBmV
Modulation
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM
256QAM

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Frequency
37.60 MHz
30.80 MHz
22.00 MHz
---
Symbol Rate
5120 Ksym/sec
5120 Ksym/sec
2560 Ksym/sec
---
Power Level
46.50 dBmV
46.25 dBmV
45.50 dBmV
---
Modulation
64QAM
64QAM
16QAM
---
Channel ID

They all look fine. Thank you everyone. One question I want to ask how come some users seem to get lower latency than other users?
mtrai
Panama City, FL

mtrai

said by Thenewguy201:

Power
8.43 dBmV
8.37 dBmV
8.58 dBmV
8.60 dBmV
8.21 dBmV
8.26 dBmV
8.32 dBmV
8.35 dBmV

Those are kind of high for your downstream. Ideal is -7 to +7 Outside of that, can give you problems. I am sure someone will explain it better then me, I am in the middle of cooking dinner.
Thenewguy201

Thenewguy201

So how do I lower the power levels? If its too low it might cause connection loss and too high would make it unstable right?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

FWIW, it's really not high enough to worry about it.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

1 edit

Darknessfall to Thenewguy201

Premium Member

to Thenewguy201
- Nvm
mtrai
Panama City, FL

mtrai to Thenewguy201

to Thenewguy201
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /1253575

I bolded the telephony modems range.

Connection Troubleshooting Tips [ Edited ]
Options
04-13-2012 12:51 PM - edited 09-25-2013 03:05 PM

If you are experiencing any problems with your Comcast internet connection, the suggestions below may provide some assistance with identifying and potentially resolving the issue. If you are still experiencing any connection issues after following these suggestions, please start a new thread in the Connection forum and include the information requested in this thread.

Check your modem signal levels

To view your modem’s status page go to »192.168.100.1 or »10.0.0.1

• Downstream Power Level: -10dBmV to +10dBmV is acceptable for modems. -7dBmV to +7dBmV is the ideal range and is also the specified range for telephony modems.

Since it is a telephony modem it does not have the tolerance that just modems do.

First suggestion is if you can check your line and connections all the way to the cable block on your home.

You can try to adding a splitter just before your telephony modem and see if that helps.

Or since you saying no problems now not worry about it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by mtrai:

You can try to adding a splitter just before your telephony modem and see if that helps.

OP. Keep an eye on the upstream power if you do use a splitter to knock down the downstream power as the additional overall attenuation could cause the upstream power to go too high and out of spec depending on its amount of loss.

As stated, IMO, the downstream power is really not high enough to be a concern.
mtrai
Panama City, FL

mtrai

I should of said you can try a splitter to see if it brings your downstream power down...if it does you need to contact Comcast for a tech.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by mtrai:

I should of said you can try a splitter to see if it brings your downstream power down...if it does you need to contact Comcast for a tech.

Of course it will..

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to mtrai

to mtrai
said by mtrai:

why would that warrant a call? splitters do this by design.

but to be honest OP your levels aren't terrible. possibly a 1db or 2db attenuator would bring your DS power into the "ideal" range.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Is one or two dB really worth even bothering ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall

Re: [Firmware] Update issues

said by Darknessfall:

said by MDA:

said by Thenewguy201:

Most of the phone app versions of these programs are really stupid. I would say that only the inSSIDer app does a good job, but it costs a lot now. The stupidest best channel app I have ever seen is the Netgear WiFi Analytics app. It bases the best channel based on # of APs and not strength of them on a channel. It also doesn't take into consideration overlapping. If you have 10 APs on 4 and 10 on 6 and 1 on 5, it'll say channel 5 is amazing. On top of all of that, it won't rank a channel unless there's an AP found on it lol. So if you have tons of networks on channel 6 and 11, it won't suggest 1 because there wasn't a network on it for the channel to be ranked...

I prefer my WiSpy (it shows all activity in the 2.4 band)
with it I can pick a channel least affected by a microwave or cordless phone.