Ash Flat, AR

2 edits

RonR

OBiTALK Web Portal : Auto Firmware Update

Click for full size
OBiTALK Web Portal
Click for full size
OBi100
I was asked a question about the OBiTALK Web Portal earlier today and performed a test configuration of an OBi100 to ensure I gave the correct answer. Following the testing, just prior to deleting the OBi100 from the portal, I made a surprising discovery:

The OBiTALK web portal showed Auto Firmware Update to be disabled, but in the OBi100, Auto Firmware Update was actually enabled.

If you use the OBiTALK web portal and your desire is to have Auto Firmware Update disabled, log into the OBi directly and confirm:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Firmware Update -> Method : Disabled

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck

Premium Member

I believe that setting is only intended for use by some service providers. Obihai firmware that comes from Obihai itself is sent over the OBiTalk network, so if your intention is to decline firmware updates from Obihai, that should be what you disable. Or at least that is how I understood it. Not that it hurts anything to also disable the setting you mentioned.
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

1 edit

RonR

The firmware update URL points to http://fw.obihai.com and has the current Obihai f/w version number as the test (IF $FWV < 1.3.0.2824). It's clearly set up to download new f/w from Obihai when a later version is available.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo

Premium Member

said by RonR:

The firmware update URL points to http://fw.obihai.com and has the current Obihai f/w version number as the test (IF $FWV < 1.3.0.2824). It's clearly set up to download new f/w from Obihai when a later version is available.

IIRC, the firmware v1.3.0.2824 was released after the 1st OBiHai announcement of dropping GV supports and is irreversible once upgraded to this version. What we don't know is if OBiHai has included a timer to stop supporting GV coming this May 2014. If so, then all OBi-XXX device flashed with this firmware will no longer support GV even though GV stills provides services with XMPP.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

1 edit

brg

Premium Member

I am still on v1.3.0 (Build: 2776). I have the various methods of autoprovisioning turned off (I think) and my Obi100 has not been autoupdated. If I go to the Obitalk portal I do, however, see a notice that "new firmware is available." I have yet to take the bait...

EDIT: the autoprovisioning tab reflects 3 different panes: Auto Firmware Update, ITSP Provisioning, and OBiTalk Provisioning. All 3 of mine are set to "disabled."

RonR is correct and WhyADuck is incorrect: the section RonR is discussing ("Auto Firmware Update") in his OP clearly relates to autoprovisioning by Obihai. The separate "ITSP Provisioning" is the one that relates to service providers...
mo832
join:2014-04-13

mo832

I have build 2824, but my Obitalk page as well as my local device page both show the auto firmware update to be disabled. I don't recall manually updating although I can't swear to it. How did my firmware get updated?

I do have Obitalk provisioning enabled though. Periodically every 24 hours. Does this have anything to do with firmware?
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

1 edit

RonR to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

IIRC, the firmware v1.3.0.2824 was released after the 1st OBiHai announcement of dropping GV supports and is irreversible once upgraded to this version. What we don't know is if OBiHai has included a timer to stop supporting GV coming this May 2014. If so, then all OBi-XXX device flashed with this firmware will no longer support GV even though GV stills provides services with XMPP.

I'm afraid your recollection is incorrect. 1.3.0.2824 was released 9/4/2013, prior to the Google and Obihai announcements. I seriously doubt there is any timer incorporated in the firmware, but I do expect Obihai to force a firmware update to as many OBi's as possible on 5/14/2014. I have to wonder if the Auto Firmware Update obfuscation on the OBiTALK web portal is part of that plan.
RonR

RonR to mo832

to mo832
said by mo832:

I have build 2824, but my Obitalk page as well as my local device page both show the auto firmware update to be disabled. I don't recall manually updating although I can't swear to it. How did my firmware get updated?

In all likelihood, you manually updated or got the update automatically before disabling Auto Firmware Update. 1.3.0.2824 has been out since 9/4/2013.
mo832
join:2014-04-13

mo832 to RonR

to RonR
said by RonR:

but I do expect Obihai to force a firmware update to as many OBi's as possible on 10/14/2014.

did you mean 5/14/2014?
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by mo832:

said by RonR:

but I do expect Obihai to force a firmware update to as many OBi's as possible on 10/14/2014.

did you mean 5/14/2014?

Yes, thanks for catching that (I corrected my post). I don't know what made me type 10 instead of 5.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
said by RonR:

said by mazilo:

I'm afraid your recollection is incorrect. 1.3.0.2824 was released 9/4/2013, prior to the Google and Obihai announcements.

Thank you for the correction.

I seriously doubt there is any timer incorporated in the firmware, but I do expect Obihai to force a firmware update to as many OBi's as possible on 5/14/2014.

Let's see if this is possible for OBiHai to achieve on any OBi-XXX device configured with no OBiTalk, Auto Firmware Update, nor provision options enabled.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

said by mazilo:

Let's see if this is possible for OBiHai to achieve on any OBi-XXX device configured with no OBiTalk, Auto Firmware Update, nor provision options enabled.

Indeed. Recall during their recent flurry of firmware updates, one short-lived release reported OBiTALK service status as 'acquiring...' even though all related settings were disabled. They quickly squashed that. I've been suspicious of them ever since.

OE

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Well, I'll be a test-case for that. I have none of those provisioning options enabled, I am still using the older firmware (v1.3.0 -- Build: 2776). I'm curious to see what I'll be able to do on 5/16, for example. No worries, if the Obi-supported GV capability goes away even without a firmware change my replacement options are all set.