spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue

Contract is up in July..what are my options?

My contract is up in July. I loves me my FIOS but not the cost of it. I wanted to get rid of my landline and drop some TV channels. Since I am going to be out of contract, would I qualify for any new promotions? I see all the deals on Verizon's website but it appears that they are for new customers only. What deals would I get being a current customer but wanting to renew my contract? Comcast is in my area also. So at least I'll have that bargaining chip if I ever need it.

Ok thanks
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

I was in your boat this past summer, and saved ~$30 a month by doing the following. I'm not sure the names of the packages I had in the before-time, but hopefully this is still useful;

Before:
Internet=15/5
CATV=The basic-level digital, no pay-channels (NOTE: This plan was grandfathered; it was no longer offered for sale when I dropped it)(This also means it was priced way above comparable packages currently offered).
out-of-contract --- month-to-month pricing

After:
Internet 50/25
CATV=Local-only
2-year bundle

The bundle is the magic bullet. I tried dropping CATV entirely because I didn't want it, but that nearly DOUBLED the cost of the Internet portion. I had to bundle-in the CATV local-only in order to get the price down.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to jarablue

Premium Member

to jarablue
Everyone knows that pricing deals can vary widely depending on with whom you speak, but I can share my recent experience: they are REALLY screwing long-time loyal customers by refusing to re-renew a lot of the old discounts.
texastown
join:2008-04-25
Plano, TX

1 edit

texastown to jarablue

to jarablue
When you are within 60 days of your contract ending they will talk with you about a new contract. Getting a contract gets you an additional discount, it varies by region. Signing up on line may get you a discount but in my experience, calling yielded one additional discount. I was able to keep my exact bundle and didn't have to upgrade to faster internet, kept 25/25.

It's really impossible for anyone to tell you exactly what you'll get. I think, just my guess, that if you always pay on time and have been with them a while, you may get offered a better deal, not a new customer deal, but at least something. But that's just a guess. And the prices are very different depending on where you live.

I'm actually paying $10 less than my old contract even with the addition of HBO on my 2 yr. triple play bundle which I signed up for last month.
navyson
join:2011-07-15
Upper Marlboro, MD

navyson to batsona

to batsona
said by batsona:

I was in your boat this past summer, and saved ~$30 a month by doing the following. I'm not sure the names of the packages I had in the before-time, but hopefully this is still useful;

Before:
Internet=15/5
CATV=The basic-level digital, no pay-channels (NOTE: This plan was grandfathered; it was no longer offered for sale when I dropped it)(This also means it was priced way above comparable packages currently offered).
out-of-contract --- month-to-month pricing

After:
Internet 50/25
CATV=Local-only
2-year bundle

The bundle is the magic bullet. I tried dropping CATV entirely because I didn't want it, but that nearly DOUBLED the cost of the Internet portion. I had to bundle-in the CATV local-only in order to get the price down.

How much doest this bundle cost?

After:
Internet 50/25
CATV=Local-only
2-year bundle

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to jarablue

Premium Member

to jarablue
I'll be in the same boat in July too. In July 2012 I started my current contract when I upgraded to the 150/65 tier in addition to the Ultimate Tv, digital phone, and cellular. It looks like I'll probably need to drop down to the 75/35 tier to keep close to the same price unless I can get some more discounts.

And if the One bill discount is going away, that is $10 more i'll have to pay. I would love to drop to a lower Tv tier. But certain channels are at a lower tier and the Ultimate HD tier but not the middle tier. So I don't have much of a choice but to stick with the Ultimate HD Tv tier
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to jarablue

to jarablue
I was within 60 days of my contract being up. I called Verizon and spoke to a very nice CSR. She managed to get me a number of discounts. Online I would have paid $30 more per month than I was paying now.

But after talking to a CSR I got it knocked down to $10 more per month, but now I was upgraded to 75/35 from 50/25, plus free HBO for a year. I'm sure I could have argued to keep it at the exact same rate I was paying previously, but with the nice bump I couldn't complain!
floridafuzz
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

floridafuzz to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
It sounds like I have the same package as you. I just dropped One bill yesterday and signed up for the double up promotion. I did it by calling directly the tel # listed on the promotion page under FAQ. You have a few more days, it ends on 4/19. You will be able to get a discount of $20.00 a month for 24 months, $10.00 off Fios bill and $10.00 off wireless bill.
must have and maintain at least one active smart phone on Verizon Wireless and qualifying Fios quantum Triple Play(I think speed must be at least 50 or better or 75 or better.) You have 150/65 same as me so that works. www.Verizon.com/doubleup . Call and have a real person do it, it goes into effect right away. They de-enrolled me and then enrolled me in the promotion.
Just out of curiosity care to share how much you are paying for 150/65,digital voice, and ultimate TV?

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to jarablue

Premium Member

to jarablue
I just de-enrolled from One Bill and signed up for the new promotion where I will get $10 off each bill for 24 months. So now I should save an additional $10 a month. The deadline to sign up for the $20 off a month was 4/19/14. So I figured I might as well sign up for it since the One Bill discount was ending. But I still don't like the idea of getting two bills now.

I'll still need to deal with getting a new FiOS contract soon. Since my current two year contract with Ultimate HD, Digital Voice, and 150/65 Internet ends in July.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz

Premium Member

quote: But I still don't like the idea of getting two bills now.

Sign up for paperless billing and sign up for Autopay - have each bill go to the same method of payment-credit card or bank account.
no bills from Verizon to deal with or pay separately.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by floridafuzz:

quote: But I still don't like the idea of getting two bills now.

Sign up for paperless billing and sign up for Autopay - have each bill go to the same method of payment-credit card or bank account.
no bills from Verizon to deal with or pay separately.

I won't do auto pay with Verizon. Now before Verizon owned all of Verizon wireless I could see doing it with them. But now that Verizon owns all of Verizon wireless I would not enable auto pay. I learned my lesson many years ago with FiOS not to use the auto- pay option with Verizon.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz

Premium Member

Sorry to hear that you had a problem. Glad you were able to take advantage of the double up and save $20.00 a month for 24 months. My contract runs out in July also-will be interesting to see what they offer us.

Geot
@verizon.net

Geot

Anon

Why don't you check out the competition? FIOS has lost much of their luster, their TV is subpar compared to most cable companies, internet is typically very similar, and their prices are usually higher.
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to navyson

to navyson
navyson said:
-----------------------------------
After:
Internet 50/25
CATV=Local-only
2-year bundle
-----------------------------------
I think my total bill went from $130/mo to $100 per month.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Geot

Premium Member

to Geot
said by Geot :

Why don't you check out the competition? FIOS has lost much of their luster, their TV is subpar compared to most cable companies, internet is typically very similar, and their prices are usually higher.

I have checked out the competition in my area. Comcast. Comcast is still more expensive that what I have with FiOS. And in my area the Comcast picture quality looks like crap.

My parents and brother both have Comcast and most of the channels look nothing like what I have with FiOS. Plus all the channels are delayed around thirty seconds on the Comcast system here.

I can be remotely viewing my tivo on FiOS using Slingbox, while visiting my parents, and I am still ahead of what is being broadcast. Which would make it a pain recording things since I would have to add a minute pad to everything. With FIOS I rarely need to pad any recordings.
aaronwt

aaronwt to floridafuzz

Premium Member

to floridafuzz
said by floridafuzz:

Sorry to hear that you had a problem. Glad you were able to take advantage of the double up and save $20.00 a month for 24 months. My contract runs out in July also-will be interesting to see what they offer us.

Since the One bill Discount was supposedly ending, I wanted to make sure I could hop on this discount right now. But it's anyones guess what they will be offering in a few months. The deals could be better or they could be worse. I'm guessing though that I will need to drop down from the 150/65 tier to the 75/35 tier to keep my prices in check.
floridafuzz
Premium Member
Hope, RI

floridafuzz

Premium Member

New promotions should be starting soon. If anything interesting pops up I will try to post. I have been with Verizon since the days of Ma Bell and love my FIOS setup. I don't want to change at this stage of the game. Post if you find out anything worthwhile.