IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Appliances] Keurig commercial brewers

If we do move up to grandma's house I'd like to look into getting a Keurig commercial brewer, preferably one that is piped in to the water supply.

In my opinion I think the Keurig commercial brewers brew the coffee hotter than the residential brewers. I had a cup of hot chocolate out of a K3000SE once and that thing was piping hot. I actually like my coffee hot like most people. I'll have it with a little cream and Splenda.

It also seems I'm always filling the darn thing even though I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day. I wouldn't put a piped unit in a rental since that would involve drilling the counter for the supply line.

I was thinking of getting the K150P
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

get the house fixed first before you dream of any commercial brewers...

you might even regret having a brewer piped in...
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I believe temperature for brewing coffee is 195 to 205. Super hot is not better. If anything take the chill off the coffee mug with hot water so it doesnt cool off the coffee quick.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I know the residential brewers brew to 192f. I think the commercial ones get hotter though.

I think the K155 you can buy at retail and I think there is a piped in attachment.

OldCableGuy2
@communications.net

2 recommendations

OldCableGuy2 to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
If you are going to drink so much coffee you need a commercial brewer piped in to the water supply, I highly recommend upgrading the toilets first.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's not that I drink a lot of coffee, I just want a decent cup of coffee without breaking the bank at Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is too strong for me.

If I drop the $400 or so (I'm estimating the price) on the K150P (I know the K155, same as K150P but without piped in supply sells for $249) and I could do the plumbing myself, it would be cheaper than Dunkin Donuts. The K150P is only available through Keurig distributors but I'm sure it can be found online.

I do have my daily coffee at home, it's just not hot enough by the time I drink it. My favorite K-Cup is the Dunkin Donuts K-Cup and top that off with Cocoa Puffs (which I've been eating since I was a kid ), hard boiled egg, and a cinnamon raisin bagel with butter. That's my breakfast.

I just think a commercial brewer would make the coffee hotter, I could always go for the K155, it probably has a larger tank but I don't know what it has for filtration. I want the piped in feature for convenience but it has an in line filter. It seems the K65 I have right now is always needing filling despite me drinking 1-2 cups a day at most.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 recommendation

medbuyer to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I do have my daily coffee at home, it's just not hot enough by the time I drink it.

a $250-400 isn't the solution....drinking it right away or faster than when you normally could would be easier and cheaper...

I don't understand why you need it hotter than the rest...

It's not like you can drink it that hot anyway...

Or else, next thread will be you suing Keurig for that damn piping hot water.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

1 edit

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

said by IowaCowboy:

I do have my daily coffee at home, it's just not hot enough by the time I drink it.

a $250-400 isn't the solution....drinking it right away or faster than when you normally could would be easier and cheaper...

The cream cools it. I don't put that much cream in it anyways.

Edit: I always get a nice hot cup of coffee when I go out for coffee. Dunkin Donuts ain't using no cheap household brewers. If you get a small cup (which comes in paper instead of styrofoam), it burns your hand as those cups are so flimsy and I'll get a napkin to hold it. Now that is a properly prepared cup.

As for grandma's house on the subject of coffee, one of her neighbors likes his coffee black. No cream and no sweetener, no nothing. Just straight black coffee from the pot.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

to IowaCowboy
Preheat the coffee cup. Also, just get a french press. If you prefer less oils etc this press will also work.
»www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B ··· 200_QL40
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by medbuyer:

said by IowaCowboy:

The cream cools it. I don't put that much cream in it anyways.

cream will also cool that piping hot coffee from that overpriced Keurig machine...
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

if the man wants an overpriced Keurig, let him buy it
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by LittleBill:

I really can't stop him anyway....just like trying to caution him in doing home repairs that's way over his head...
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

to IowaCowboy
Other option is another brand of coffee maker piped or not that gets the water hotter.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to medbuyer

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

said by LittleBill:

I really can't stop him anyway....just like trying to caution him in doing home repairs that's way over his head...

based on his 40 plus posts in the last week. i doubht you have even made a slightest dent in his dreams
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by LittleBill:

said by medbuyer:

said by LittleBill:

based on his 40 plus posts in the last week. i doubht you have even made a slightest dent in his dreams

I know...it's amazing how many people don't understand or realize the ramifications of their actions...
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

to IowaCowboy
Did find this on commercial kuerigs.
»www.keurig.com/customer- ··· E399D78}
Home is ul listed for home commercial is ul listed for business, office.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

1 recommendation

Lurch77 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My Cuisinart CHW-12 brews coffee at 200 degrees, which is the ideal temp for most coffees. It also has an instant hot water chamber that heats water to 185, for tea, hot chocolate, instant cereals, etc. We use it for instant oatmeal all the time. The carafe hot plate also has an adjustable temperature setting, and the machine can use built in charcoal water filters. The machine can be had for $100 and has worked very well for us. Just another, less expensive and less permanent option to consider.
»www.cuisinart.com/produc ··· -12.html
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Commercial systems are typically issued by distributers. I say issued and not sold because in commercial installations, you commit to a certain amount of coffee per month and they will install a suitably sized system for free.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
The problem you are going to run into is the water. I seem to remember a comment in one of your other threads about really hard water at the new house. That will tear up a Keurig. The filters help, some, but they will still suffer an early death if you don't get the minerals out first. With a normal consumer grade, you can fill with purified or filtered water. (I use a PUR pitcher for mine) And even if you are willing to replace your Keurig once a year due to the issue, using hard water in one results in shitty tasting coffee.

Also worth noting, the extremely hot temperature used at Dunkin/Starbucks/everywhere else has nothing to do with better coffee at a higher brewing temperature. It is about keeping the fresh taste when it sits. When you are brewing it one cup at a time, there is no flavor advantage to 205 degrees over 192 degrees. If the cream is cooling it off too much, warm the cream. If you want a machine that will do it for you, look at Keurig's new Vue and Rivo models.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The house in question has soft water (as the northeast tends to have soft water), I don't know what that residue is on the pipes but I lived in an area (Iowa) with hard water, and you'll see it all over the plumbing fixtures. The faucets there are corrosion galore and hard water stains coat sinks, toilets, and tubs. I'm guessing hard water is the reason forced air heating is preferred over hydronic heating in the Midwest even though the Midwest is colder.

comeonreally
@optonline.net

comeonreally to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

If we do move up to grandma's house I'd like to look into getting a Keurig commercial brewer, preferably one that is piped in to the water supply.

In my opinion I think the Keurig commercial brewers brew the coffee hotter than the residential brewers. I had a cup of hot chocolate out of a K3000SE once and that thing was piping hot. I actually like my coffee hot like most people. I'll have it with a little cream and Splenda.

It also seems I'm always filling the darn thing even though I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day. I wouldn't put a piped unit in a rental since that would involve drilling the counter for the supply line.

Cool, I fail to see a question here...

Your really gona pipe something in for 1-2 cups a day?

I mean lazy much? Just add the water...
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by comeonreally :

said by IowaCowboy:

Cool, I fail to see a question here...

Your really gona pipe something in for 1-2 cups a day?

I mean lazy much? Just add the water...

he's handy much...

look ma! I piped in the coffee maker...now we don't have to refill water on that thing again.

except when it breaks, I'll have to take it out from the water line by cutting out the supply first, take my tools, and hopefully yank it out in no time.

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

MsTerra to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My husband is a coffee snob. When he makes coffee for the two of us, he uses water boiled in a kettle to do a pour-over brew (with beans freshly ground in his burr grinder, natch) that's dripped into a thermal carafe, which keeps it hot while we're having breakfast. (Pour-over is what all the hipster coffee shops in Cambridge are doing. Sigh.)

I agree that a plumbed-in commercial-grade Keurig for a couple of cups per day is overkill. Plumbing in the water line would make some kind of sense if you were putting in a high-end espresso machine (a dream of ours, but our kitchen just isn't big enough) but for regular old coffee, there are cheaper, easier, better ways to get a couple of hot cups per day.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by MsTerra:

he uses water boiled in a kettle to do a pour-over brew that's dripped into a thermal carafe (Pour-over is what all the hipster coffee shops in Cambridge are doing. Sigh.)

Damn, I'm hip and didn't even know it.
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
My cheap-ass coffee maker doesn't produce very hot coffee...I jut pour my cup and stick it in the microwave for 1 minute...

MsTerra
Mouthy Broad
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana

1 edit

MsTerra to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
Clearly you're not hip enough. And/or people in your community have better things to do with their time than wait around for a cup of coffee. The major advantage of the pour-over is that it's as fresh as a cup of coffee can be, but it's really time-consuming. Fine for Sunday morning with the spouse, but IMHO it sucks as a takeout concept.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
and all of this so he can have a "hotter" cup of coffee even after pouring in creamer which will make it a little less "hotter"...

how much creamer and how soon you pour the creamer and how soon you drink the coffee is the key....

OP is over thinking how to make his coffee "hotter".

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to cjski

Premium Member

to cjski
said by cjski:

My cheap-ass coffee maker doesn't produce very hot coffee...I jut pour my cup and stick it in the microwave for 1 minute...

But then you're still missing out on full flavor. A 200 degree brew isn't ideal for drinking temp, it is ideal for extracting the most flavor from the bean grounds during the brew process. When we went from our old cheap maker to this new Cuisinart (with 200 degree brew temp) there was a big difference in flavor, even with our normal off the shelf coffee brand. Using a metal mesh filter also made a huge difference compared to paper filters. You can see the oils on the coffee now, and it definitely adds flavor.

Mind you that neither my wife nor I are coffee snobs, but we still noticed the difference.
said by medbuyer:

and all of this so he can have a "hotter" cup of coffee even after pouring in creamer which will make it a little less "hotter"...

how much creamer and how soon you pour the creamer and how soon you drink the coffee is the key....

I agree he is over thinking it. That's a lot of work and expense for a cup of coffee. but he's right on the brew temp. Adding creamer after the brew has nothing to do with the brew temp. Once the brew is complete you can let it cool or add creamer as needed. But you want that ideal high temp for brewing. There are just much less expensive ways to go about it compared to what he is talking about.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Lurch77:

I agree he is over thinking it. That's a lot of work and expense for a cup of coffee. but he's right on the brew temp. Adding creamer after the brew has nothing to do with the brew temp. Once the brew is complete you can let it cool or add creamer as needed. But you want that ideal high temp for brewing. There are just much less expensive ways to go about it compared to what he is talking about.

I do agree with the brewing temp., BUT that wasn't his complain in the first place.

He complained it wasn't too hot anymore to drink. By the time he drinks it, with creamer poured in, the full flavor from that high temp. brewing will be less if not gone by then.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's not like it's been sitting out. I make the coffee, put the cream and Splenda in and enjoy it. The coffee is made right before the timer goes off for the eggs. It takes 12 minutes to boil a jumbo egg or 10 minutes for a large egg.