share rss forum feed

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to NS4683

Re: [Appliances] Keurig commercial brewers

We do the same using the filtered water from the Fridge Pur-filter for over 2 years now with no buildup.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

I fill a PUR pitcher, then use the filtered water from that to fill the Keurig.
»www.amazon.com/PUR-CR-6000-7-Cup···+pitcher

I still clean the Keurig with a tank of white vinegar once a month, but that is based on 8 cups a day or so. 2 cups a day you could probably do it every 3 months.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

What kind of bottled water would be good for a brewer without causing buildup in it.

I know one coffee fanatic who buys gallons of distilled water because he really wants to smell and taste ONLY the coffee and nothing else. He is ironically oblivious to the fact that his distilled water comes in plastic containers.

Our Ottawa tap water tastes better than typical bottled water - I often use it direct from tap. I use a Brita filter jug for tea/coffee only when I travel.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to IowaCowboy

Our coffee maker (linked earlier in this thread) has replaceable charcoal filters right inside it. But I can't tell a difference between using them and using straight tap water. Our water here isn't real hard and tastes good, so it just isn't a big issue.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Our water is a bit on the hard side for municipal water, so I use a Brita pitcher, and only water from that goes into my Keurig. We've had the Keurig for two or three years, and have never descaled it. We make about 20-25 cups per week. No problems at all. I wash the funnel parts weekly.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to IowaCowboy

»slickdeals.net/f/6888710-keurig-···r-50-off

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

I think I'm going overboard with plumbed in but I may get the Keurig K155 and they sell it at Staples for $249.

I'll put strictly distilled water in it so it doesn't get all messed up with buildup.

The Keurig I got at Costco last Christmas came with a Water Filter Kit with replaceable filters that are changed depending on usage. Was using distilled, but we have decent tap water, so have just been using it with no issues.

»www.keurig.com/accessories/water···rter-kit

I needed new filters and yesterday while in Fred Meyer, noticed that all the Keurigs they had, came with the filter kits. When I was researching the machine, I noticed a lot of complaints about water issues - priming, machine stopping and plain old breaking. I wonder if the added filter is an attempt to solve a problem with the Keurig. I have a friend who bought one several years ago at Bed, Bath and Beyond and they have had theirs replaced almost every year by BBB, no questions asked. The issues sound like it surrounds the water handling.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

Most of the multi-cup Keurigs have always had the filter option, it just used to be a separate purchase. Keurig finally figured out it was cheaper to include the filter than to replace every machine once a year.

The little carbon filters do help, just not as much as I would like. I have one in mine, but I can still taste a noticeable difference between brewing with tap versus filtering through the PUR pitcher first.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Camelot One:

The little carbon filters do help, just not as much as I would like. I have one in mine, but I can still taste a noticeable difference between brewing with tap versus filtering through the PUR pitcher first.

Water here is filtered from layers of basalt that flowed from the Cascade Mountains. Feel very fortunate to have the source we have. Though at certain times of the year when demand is up, water is pulled from different wells and supposedly mixed.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
reply to IowaCowboy

Keurig and DRM.

»www.techdirt.com/articles/201403···ty.shtml

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Green Mountain's major source of profit comes from the sale of the K cups. No wonder they are following this route.