art22gg

Premium Member

[News] Windows 8.1 without Update will no longer receive security updates

Quote from link.....»betanews.com/2014/04/15/ ··· updates/

More good news from MS...
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

I keep getting Windows 8.0 -> Windows 8.1 update mixed up with the Windows 8.1 update 1 from this month. So is this for 8.0 or 8.1 with out the update from this month?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

If you have 8.1 you need to install Update 1 in order to receive security updates.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
quote:
Since Microsoft wants to ensure that customers benefit from the best support and servicing experience and to coordinate and simplify servicing across both Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8.1 RT and Windows 8.1, this update will be considered a new servicing/support baseline. What this means is those users who have elected to install updates manually will have 30 days to install Windows 8.1 Update on Windows 8.1 devices; after this 30-day window - and beginning with the May Patch Tuesday, Windows 8.1 user's devices without the update installed will no longer receive security updates.

This means that Windows 8.1 users - starting patch Tuesday in May 2014 and beyond - will require this update to be installed. If the Windows 8.1 Update is not installed, those newer updates will be considered “not applicable.”

For those users who are still using Windows 8 and Windows 2012 (and not Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2) you are unaffected and will continue to receive updates as normal.

The new baseline only exists for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

More - »blogs.technet.com/b/glad ··· 8-1.aspx
chachazz

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Ben Hunter - April 10th 2014 - The IT Pro Perspective
quote:
Windows 8.1 Update is categorized as “security update” because it includes two new security fixes (as well as all previously-issued Windows 8.1 updates). Separate versions of these security fixes (KB2922229 and KB2936068) are also available for those organizations that want to immediately deploy these security fixes. However the Windows 8.1 Update is still a dependency for next month’s security updates.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Huh? So 8.0 and 8.1x are going to have different support?

I'm still on Win7, but my wife has a Win8 laptop. As far as I know she is not on 8.1, as it does not appear to have been a normal patch. (I'm used to patches & Service Packs that you download and install through the normal WU mechanism, but 8.1 is different for some reason.)

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 recommendations

KoRnGtL15 to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
MS trolling like a BOSS!

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Updated information today 4/16 - Brandon LeBlanc:
»blogs.windows.com/window ··· ine.aspx

..we’ve decided to extend the timeframe for enterprise customers to deploy these new product updates from 30 to 120 days. In order to receive future updates, all customers managing updates using WSUS, Windows Intune, or System Center Configuration Manager have until August 12th to apply the new updates. For those that decide to defer installation, separate security updates will be published during the 120-day window.

As posted above, Microsoft consider Windows 8.1 Update primarily a security update...

For our consumer customers, the Windows 8.1 Update is a required update to keep Windows 8.1 devices current. It will need to be installed to receive new updates from Windows Update starting on May 13th.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

That was a really dumb thing to do to enterprise customers, but even 120 days can seem short. Even 8.0 got two years.

I wouldn't even consider it a service pack, just more metro crap fixed, and a couple security updates.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Ok, I am confused by all of this. I'm running 8.1, how do I know if I'm running the update they call?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by signmeuptoo94:

Ok, I am confused by all of this. I'm running 8.1, how do I know if I'm running the update they call?

The quickest way to tell is when you look at your start screen, if you are running the 8.1 Update from April, you will see two new buttons, as shown below from my Start Screen in the red box.

The one on the left is a power button, and the one on the right is a search button.

If you don't have those, then you are not running Windows 8.1 Update from April.

--Brian

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

seaman to robman50

Premium Member

to robman50
said by robman50:

I keep getting Windows 8.0 -> Windows 8.1 update mixed up with the Windows 8.1 update 1 from this month.

You, me and the rest of the world. Will these people NEVER LEARN that when they keep changing terms and recycling terms in different ways that it really confuses AVERAGE people and significantly slows upgrade adoption.

Can we have some standard teminology that lasts for more than 6 months? How about adding a new term like "Feature" and just sticking to 3 types of updates-

Windows Update - security and bug fix updates
Feature Update - feature and bug fix updates
Service Pack - comprehensive update including all of the above

Is that so hard?

Please give us some obviously discernible terminology to help us understand-

WHAT is it... and WHY do we need it?

Calling something "Update 1" to 8.1 seems both confusing and meaningless.

(OK, I feel better now.)

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

said by seaman:

(OK, I feel better now.)

I believe the theory is " the less you know or understand, the more likely you are to buy the "updated" whatever..."

TheJoker
MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA

1 recommendation

TheJoker

MVM

In some cases this forces people to purchase Windows 8 twice to stay updated; once on the system it was installed on, and a second time to get Windows 8.1 for the many people that were unable to successfully install the Windows 8.1 update. I fell into that category. Unable to successfully install the Windows 8.1 update from the online "store", I had to purchase an OEM 8.1 copy to get 8.1. I saw many possible solutions, such as uninstalling the nVidia software, but none of the solutions worked. So MS got money from me twice, once for the preinstalled Windows 8 on my laptop that wouldn't update, and a second time for a full OEM copy to get 8.1
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to art22gg

to art22gg
What about 8.0? I never took the update to 8.1 yet.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

said by robman50:

What about 8.0? I never took the update to 8.1 yet.

You're okay...updates continue for 8.0.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I had to remove the update 1 because it totally botched my computer.
Now when I try to install it I get Windows Update error 0x80073712.
Ok I try to fix it with
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth in command prompt administrator mode it gives me
error 14098 the component store has been corrupted.
So I try to restore windows through control panel and it says files missing.
So not having made a restore disc I find where I ordered windows 8 and try to download it.
I get a server execution failed message.
What is my next step besides redoing the whole computer?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Is 8.1 uninstallable so you can go back to 8.0? That'd be a viable option.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Too many updates. Might have too order recovery media from Microsoft for $10%u0375 then restore from that.
Will the recovery media be 8.0 since that is what i ordered for $40 in january of 2013 or windows 8.1 ?

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to seaman

Premium Member

to seaman
said by seaman:

(OK, I feel better now.)

I agree. Microsoft has missed the boat on this one. Although I really do think software versioning should be done using the x.y scheme, e.g. Windows 7 SP1 would be 7.1, Windows 7 SP2 would be 7.2, etc, etc.... this is just utterly confusing. They should have just gone ahead and call it Windows 8.2, and work on 8.3 for the next major upgrade.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
Hmm. I don't know. I should probably look into that myself as a last-resort option in case I can't use my Acronis image for some reason.

I'm pretty glad I never bothered with 8.1 though.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Does anyone know what will happen to a system with 8.1 installed and received after the May 13 date? I am in negotiations with Lenovo and they have offered me a replacement laptop with Windows 8.1. I am questioning if the oem manufacturer will install 8.1 with Update 1 as a part of it, but so far the Representative doesn't know.

I really wouldn't want a pc with no Windows protection and one that will probably be difficult to figure out, no less.

Sincerely, Libra

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

If you get a Windows system with 8.1, all you have to do is install Update 1. It's free.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I don't know too many Enterprise customers running Windows 8.x either.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

i think most enterprises skipped Vista largely, with a few deployments here and there, and went straight to Windows 7. With support for Windows 7 till 2020, I am suspecting that enterprises will mostly skip Windows 8, and wait for Windows 9 to do their next big upgrade.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Will I be able to install it after May 13? I thought that is the deadline. I haven't gotten the system yet.

Sincerely, Libra
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Common sense, which may not apply since this concerns Microsoft, (but I say that mostly tongue in cheek) would indicate that if you receive a machine with 8.1 that you will need to run Windows Updates right away to get the 8.1.1 update. After you install it, then the security patches for May will be available to install. If there are any security patches before May 13 that were not on the image the OEM used to install 8.1 on your machine those should be available on Windows Updates and should be installed before you install the 8.1.1 Update.

I get more and more disgusted by the "doomsday" tone of many news articles these days. I guess the writers think that is the only way to entice traffic to their website, blog, etc.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg

Re: [News] Windows 8.1 users to receive security updates through 6/10

Windows 8.1 users are getting a 30-day extension -- security updates will now be available through June 10 without udpating to Update 1.

»www.digitaltrends.com/co ··· 30-days/

By now, Windows 8.1 users were expected to be deprived of security updates from Microsoft unless they downloaded and installed Windows 8.1 Update 1, which was revealed last month at the company’s BUILD conference, and released on April 8. However, Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc announced via this official blog post that the deadline to upgrade in order to continue receiving patches has been extended by an additional 30 days, concluding on June 10.

darcilicious

darcilicious to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra

Re: [News] Windows 8.1 without Update will no longer receive security updates

said by Libra:

Will I be able to install it after May 13? I thought that is the deadline. I haven't gotten the system yet.

The deadline is for future Windows (security) Updates, not for downloading and installing Update 1 itself.

You just won't get any updates until Update 1 is installed but you can do that whenever you like (though, of course, sooner is better).

In any case, the deadline for receiving for Windows (security) Updates without Update 1 installed has been extended to June 10.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to art22gg

Premium Member

to art22gg
Quick question, does any of these versions/updates require an online MSN/Outlook account, or are they all able to function with a local MSN/Outlook account like 8.0 allows?