The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

cjski to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Appliances] Keurig commercial brewers

My cheap-ass coffee maker doesn't produce very hot coffee...I jut pour my cup and stick it in the microwave for 1 minute...

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

said by cjski:

My cheap-ass coffee maker doesn't produce very hot coffee...I jut pour my cup and stick it in the microwave for 1 minute...

But then you're still missing out on full flavor. A 200 degree brew isn't ideal for drinking temp, it is ideal for extracting the most flavor from the bean grounds during the brew process. When we went from our old cheap maker to this new Cuisinart (with 200 degree brew temp) there was a big difference in flavor, even with our normal off the shelf coffee brand. Using a metal mesh filter also made a huge difference compared to paper filters. You can see the oils on the coffee now, and it definitely adds flavor.

Mind you that neither my wife nor I are coffee snobs, but we still noticed the difference.
said by medbuyer:

and all of this so he can have a "hotter" cup of coffee even after pouring in creamer which will make it a little less "hotter"...

how much creamer and how soon you pour the creamer and how soon you drink the coffee is the key....

I agree he is over thinking it. That's a lot of work and expense for a cup of coffee. but he's right on the brew temp. Adding creamer after the brew has nothing to do with the brew temp. Once the brew is complete you can let it cool or add creamer as needed. But you want that ideal high temp for brewing. There are just much less expensive ways to go about it compared to what he is talking about.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Lurch77:

I agree he is over thinking it. That's a lot of work and expense for a cup of coffee. but he's right on the brew temp. Adding creamer after the brew has nothing to do with the brew temp. Once the brew is complete you can let it cool or add creamer as needed. But you want that ideal high temp for brewing. There are just much less expensive ways to go about it compared to what he is talking about.

I do agree with the brewing temp., BUT that wasn't his complain in the first place.

He complained it wasn't too hot anymore to drink. By the time he drinks it, with creamer poured in, the full flavor from that high temp. brewing will be less if not gone by then.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

It's not like it's been sitting out. I make the coffee, put the cream and Splenda in and enjoy it. The coffee is made right before the timer goes off for the eggs. It takes 12 minutes to boil a jumbo egg or 10 minutes for a large egg.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by IowaCowboy:

It's not like it's been sitting out. I make the coffee, put the cream and Splenda in and enjoy it.

you must really have a crappy coffee maker OR you're just too picky...

if you're doing it that way then it should still be hot. otherwise, either of the 2 reasons above might apply.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Or could it not be working correctly.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by IowaCowboy:

you never did say what brand and model you have...

You can't tell if your machine is or isn't working?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I think it's the B60 Special Edition. I think now it's marketed as the K65.
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Maybe it isn't. Get the directions off the keurig site about descaling it. Could be a layer of mineral deposits on the heating element. Also some models have adjustable temperature, maybe it's set to a lower temp. Shelling out $400 for a commercial model for two cups a day is absurd. The keurig site even recommends against purchasing commercial models for home use. If you want your coffee to remain scalding hot then brew it into a $5 insulated coffee mug.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by ImpetusEra:

said by IowaCowboy:

Maybe it isn't. Get the directions off the keurig site about descaling it. Could be a layer of mineral deposits on the heating element. Also some models have adjustable temperature, maybe it's set to a lower temp. Shelling out $400 for a commercial model for two cups a day is absurd. The keurig site even recommends against purchasing commercial models for home use. If you want your coffee to remain scalding hot then brew it into a $5 insulated coffee mug.

Or put it in the microwave. That's how I heat mine up

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by ImpetusEra:

said by IowaCowboy:

Or put it in the microwave. That's how I heat mine up

Don't over complicate things now.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to medbuyer

MVM

to medbuyer
Some people like really hot coffee. Our maker at work - a little cream and it cools off so much it has to be nuked to heart it up. My grandparents liked it scalding hot - cup sitting out for 5 minutes and they would pour it back into their ancient percolator and get a new cup. We got them a Mr Coffee wayyyy back in the 70's before laws were in place to define hot for everyone - they hated it - not hot enough.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by CylonRed:

Some people like really hot coffee. Our maker at work - a little cream and it cools off so much it has to be nuked to heart it up. My grandparents liked it scalding hot

Some of the best aromatic component of coffee gets burned off above 90C / 195F. You can often smell them in the air ... as they disappear from the brewer.

Sweet Maria, which in my opinion is the best site for coffee fanatics, has this to say in their Aeropress instruction page: »www.sweetmarias.com/aero ··· ions.php

How Hot Should the Water Be? Okay, here is where things get subjective. Aeropress recommends low temperature brewing with 165 to 175 f water. They say "professional coffee tasters" preferred low temperatures. I do agree that the Aeropress should be brewed with temperatures on the low end of the traditional coffee brewing window from 195 to 205 f.