join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

[Help] Vandalism Estimate

So to make a long story short, I had a friend who had a car vandalized (Nissan Juke). Insurance didn't cover it because of the deductible which was very very high. It has body damage, window trim damage, panel damage, and windows smashed. The question has to do with the cost of repairs (not counting glass which was free); parts will run about $800, plus another $400 for paint, and the rest is labour (another $1000). Is that unreasonable or should he get another estimate?
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Pics?

comeonreally
@optonline.net

comeonreally to sk1939

Anon

to sk1939
First off, we can't see anything so. Ya sure its good price, bad price, cars totaled... whatever pick one.

Next, just go to a few places if the car can be driven and get a few estimates...

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
I don't have any on hand, other than having seen the car in person. Basically, the damage is as follows:
-Gas tank latch snapped off
-Gas tank lid deformed/mangled to the point of it being useless
-Crowbar marks/dents along drivers side door, some marks are down to the bare metal.
-Crowbar marks/dents along rear drivers side door, also down to bare metal. Also dents/deformity around window opening.
-Crowbar-sized dents on the drivers side, rear drivers side, hood, and trunk.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
Always get several estimates...
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
Still... absolutely no way to know without at least seeing the vehicle. But then what is "reasonable"? As mentioned, obtain several estimates.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

That is what the insurance quoted. Will see what the shops say.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

In my experience insurance will low ball by a good amount. I once had an insurance company tell me a boi ovet 700 would be plenty to cover some damage. Yea - over 1300 in real damage.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to sk1939

to sk1939
When you get an estimate, make sure they understand that this is not an insurance job. You may get a better rate.

ohnowutupppp
@optonline.net

ohnowutupppp

Anon

When a repair goes though insurance normally the body shop gets paperwork... no paperwork = not an insurance job... but it can't hurt to mention only thing to take into consideration is, when it's a insurance job anything not on the estimate must be approved... once they know it is not going though insurance you can be opened up to more "hidden" damage up sells...

I'd just go in and ask for an estimate... THEN later mention it won't be insurance.

As far as low balling or not... all depends on the adjuster... I indirectly deal with them... I've seen them try to total out a vehicle (because it would benefit the owner) I've seen them write estimates that included things that really were fine... example a $4700 estimate we got out the door for $2800 I believe... I also dealt with one who gave me $1375 on my own car where I had estimates for $1500+ (not my fault damage) so YMMV.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
I would take it to a body shop and explain it to them. See what they can do for you.