andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Speed] Extreme 505 coming to Chicago

Click for full size
In my latest bill, there is a full page with an ad for Extreme 505! Tiny print says it will require a THREE YEAR contract.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: Extreme 505 coming to Chicago

It should have been out for a bit of time now for Chicago.
»[Speed] New Commercial (Chicagoland) "Up to 505Mb Per Second"

Someone reported hearing it being in the Illinois market in February.

Yup, it's a 3 year contract like it is in the Northeast. I heard it's quite a hefty ETF fee too.

Odd that they actually put it in an ad. They don't usually advertise it that much. They don't even include it on the internet page.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck to andyross

to andyross
wooo!

i do wonder how expensive that fiber install will be, tho

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

wooo!

»User Impressions of Comcast's New 305 Mbps Service [43] comments

"The user also notes that Comcast is imposing a $1,111 early termination fee if he cancels service in the first three months, though the ETF is pro-rated down the line. There's also a $250 activation fee and a $250 installation fee."
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew

said by Darknessfall:

said by train_wreck:

wooo!

»User Impressions of Comcast's New 305 Mbps Service [43] comments

"The user also notes that Comcast is imposing a $1,111 early termination fee if he cancels service in the first three months, though the ETF is pro-rated down the line. There's also a $250 activation fee and a $250 installation fee."

and $400/month but no 300GB cap

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah to andyross

to andyross

Re: [Speed] Extreme 505 coming to Chicago

These prices are hilarious.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex

said by Kasoah:

These prices are hilarious.

Comcast.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to andyross

MVM

to andyross
Sounds like it will run about a dollar a second once the cap is exceeded

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007 to andyross

to andyross
Got the exact same ad in today's bill as well.

I don't know if it's related, someone recently laid down some yellow conduit in my neighborhood. The neighborhood has all utilities buried, but the street it exits to has utility poles for some utilities (not all it seems). The odd thing when they were done was some big coax (I haven't bothered to go look what kind) is sticking about 4-5ft out of the ground which I'm guessing is for the tap it's next to. Even more odd is the neighborhood is ~7 years old so one would think they'd get everything sorted before hand.
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

2 edits

clocks11 to andyross

to andyross
I have seen a lot of Comcast trucks out lately. And I don't mean at houses, but at street corners, up on utility poles, etc... I thought maybe it was due to the coming 2X speeds, but maybe it was prepping for this.

BTW - What is with Comcasts love of 5s? Extreme 105, Extreme 505, etc.. Why not 100 / 500? Seems odd. Wonder if there's a technical explanation.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by clocks11:

What is with Comcasts love of 5s? Extreme 105, Extreme 505, etc.. Why not 100 / 500? Seems odd. Wonder if there's a technical explanation.

Always figured they list it that way because they usually give you more than 100, and the common speedtests report something around 105, sometimes up to ~120. On business class, the speeds are marketed at even numbers. I'm on the "100/20" tier, but it's the same as the residential 105
wTheOnew
join:2012-03-09

wTheOnew to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Sounds like it will run about a dollar a second once the cap is exceeded

Comcast's fiber offerings don't have caps. There's enough to pick on with Comcast without picking on a non-issue.

And if there was a cap, it would *only* be a ~$1/min over. :P

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to clocks11

MVM

to clocks11
said by clocks11:

BTW - What is with Comcasts love of 5s? Extreme 105, Extreme 505, etc.. Why not 100 / 500? Seems odd. Wonder if there's a technical explanation.

Probably the same reason something sells for $3.99, not $4.00.

Bump
join:2001-09-09
Chambersburg, PA

Bump to andyross

to andyross
it so they can say it is faster than that company.
They have 100 mp , ok we have 105 mb. Ha ha

I was told that comcast has the 505 speed so they can say they have the fastest speed. Since Verizon was top dog a 500Mbps last year.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to noc007

Premium Member

to noc007
Yellow is usually natural gas, with orange reserved for telecom usage.

noc007
join:2002-06-18
Cumming, GA

noc007

That was my understanding as well, however it didn't look like something one would run any kind of gas through. The yellow definitely threw me off. I'm really curious what it's for. All of the normal utilities were laid when everything was being built.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

You might want to keep an eye on that...could be your 'hood has faulty natural gas service drop lines and they're getting ready to replace them or have started already. Been there, done that, wondered if my house would blow up before they got done.

mccabe
join:2012-08-10
Boca Raton, FL

mccabe to andyross

to andyross
I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast charged $505 per month for this tier with a $505 install fee.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by mccabe:

I wouldn't be surprised if Comcast charged $505 per month for this tier with a $505 install fee.

I believe it's $399 + $19.99/mo CPE rental. I luckily got in at a lower rate so it's about $100 less expensive.

Given the amount of construction required the price seems somewhat justified. I wonder what the adoption rate would be like if Comcast lowered price just little and raised the speed to gigabit. I have to imagine their expenses are lower per user when on the 505 fiber tier. I haven't once had to call Comcast for my service because fiber is a better medium compared to the old coax infrastructure.
whfsdude

1 recommendation

whfsdude to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to whfsdude

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

Given the amount of construction required the price seems somewhat justified.

yeah what kind of construction did they need to do?

and 104mbps up is NUTS

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

yeah what kind of construction did they need to do?

Run fiber down ~3 blocks underground in a city. This included multiple site surveys, constructions crews, and coordination with the local telco (telco had to do a site survey) as they own the manholes.

Then they had to splice in the at the nearest fiber access node and at the splice enclosure they had placed on the telephone pole in the alley.

The actual install took 3 or 4 hours. This was mostly setting up the metro ethernet switch and splicing in the drop.

There was also engineering work done in the background I'm sure. ...Like getting the IPv6 routed block announced and provisioning the VLAN/circuit.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex

For all that mess, this definitely justifies/worth the installation and activation fees.