uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

3 recommendations

Java 7 Update 55 out

Just got a popup that Java 7 Update 55 is available.

deke40
Premium
join:2003-01-23
Texas

Even though I have had it disabled for months I do keep it updated for possible future use.

Thanks.

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16
reply to andyross

thanks

»java.com/en/download/windows_xpi···ocale=en

NICK ADSL UK
Premium,MVM
join:2004-02-22
kudos:16

2 recommendations

Java SE Runtime Environment 8u5
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···155.html

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

2 edits
reply to andyross

Did not work for Update 55.
Claims security certs not valid on my PC.
It borked my install, I then used JavaRa to remove old version, then updated to 55 successfully.

Removed again and then did Java 8 Update 5.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

2 recommendations

reply to NICK ADSL UK

Thanks for the update Nick on Java 8 Update 5.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to andyross

Thanks for the update Andy on Java 7 Update 55.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to andyross

Click for full size
Geez. I installed the 64bit version because I have Windows 8 Pro with IE 10 running as 64bit. I opened IE after installing and did a Java speed test which works fine. I checked Java in the control panel and the ONLY version installed is Update 55. So why the heck does Java check at Java.com scream at me that I have an old version?

I suspect that if I also install the 32 bit version to use in Fx and SM that then if I open IE 10 and go to the java verify page that it will say I have Java update 55 installed.

There is obviously something wrong at Java verify page because it should detect that I have the 64bit version of update 55 installed and working on IE 10.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Mele20:

There is obviously something wrong at Java verify page because it should detect that I have the 64bit version of update 55 installed and working on IE 10.

No there is nothing wrong with the verification page - it is accurate. The control panel applet is not necessarily "complete".

If you use a 64-bit browser then the 64-bit java is used. If you use a 32-bit browser then the 32-bit java is used. The 32-bit and the 64-bit installs are separate and independently installed.

When you check the java.com verify page it will identify the version in use with the browser instance being used to check the page.

I don't use the control panel to determine the version installed, especially if both 32- and 64-bit are installed since it may not be accurate. If I recall if you install both, the control panel applet shows only the 64-bit install.

The 64-bit java install is only useful if (a) you have a java app that actually needs it (IE: greater than 4GB memory) or if you are using a 64-bit browser (32-bit is the default).

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to andyross

How can I stop automatic Java updates for the 32 bit version my browser uses? I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed, and Control Panel only shows the 64 bit version, without the update tab (Oracle confirms the update tab is not available for 64 bit versions). But there is no way to get into the 32 bit version IE 11 uses to disable updates that I can see. Any suggestions?

Late edit: got a PM from a helpful elf, who directed me perfectly! Thanks.
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

You don't get automatic updates if you have both versions. You have to manually update both 32bit and 64bit Java.

I have IE 10 64 bit on Windows 8 Pro and I was not seeing any update tab either as per what Oracle states. But recently, I started seeing the update tab and my IE is screwed up as it claims it is using the 64 bit version but it isn't anymore.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to andyross

Updated both versions - thanks.