uniqs
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to twinclouds

to twinclouds

Re: Food For Thought-Top 10 Reasons Not To Port Out of Google Voice

said by twinclouds:

I cannot make the GV callback reliably through CC.

I recently implemented Google Voice callbacks using PyGoogleVoice on a Raspberry Pi running RasPBX/FreePBX. FreePBX comes with Python and PyGoogleVoice already installed, but PyGoogleVoice must be manually lashed into Asterisk to provide Google Voice callbacks.

I'm using a free Callcentric DID for the Google Voice callbacks and it has been 100% reliable so far.

Your problem may be related to receiving calls in general from your Callcentric DID using Asterisk. Callcentric calls can come from any one of 20 IP addresses (hosts) which can pose a problem if not handled correctly in Asterisk. You'll find a number of discussions and possible solutions (not all good ones) if you do a little searching on the Internet.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to twinclouds

Premium Member

to twinclouds
said by twinclouds:

The issue was call forwarding from GV to CC.

Yes and this is a known issue and I also have encountered this problem long time ago. If you ask, CC will say it is GV faults.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14
said by cb14:

said by brg:

said by cb14:

Actually, the GV call treatments have never been fully reliable.

That's a generalization based on your experience. The generalization based on my experience is that GV call treatments have been pretty excellent over the 4.5 years that I have used GV.

I would not have made that statement without a disclaimer if it were just my personal experience. There were ample reports about those issues.

There are similarly ample reports of folks with no problem whatsoever.

Your blanket statement that "the GV call treatments have never been fully reliable" is incorrect for many. I am one. The GV call treatments have been fully reliable for me and countless others. To your point, they have "never been fully reliable" for you, for mazilo, and for countless others.

That's my point.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by brg:

To your point, they have "never been fully reliable" for you, for mazilo, and for countless others.

That's my point.

That's exactly cb14's opinion.

In my case, when I encountered problems with GV calls, they were mostly on my end and that included either Internet feed, PBX, and/or ATA problem. For instance, I encountered memory leaks with mod_dingaling that handles GV calls. As such, my PBX (FreeSWITCH) would crash when all RAM is gone. When that happens, a total of no more incoming calls.

As I pointed out before, I just can't complain something that is given to me for free when I freely accepted it.
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

said by mazilo:

As I pointed out before, I just can't complain something that is given to me for free when I freely accepted it.

I agree. It's free, and considering the price it works darn good. Every user has different requirements. One of the folks in a previous post said they have 10 lines on GV, and thats a lot of savings. If its working for them then thats great.

I bailed because my usage is so low that it wasn't saving me a lot of money, and I didn't want my phone connected to hangouts or any other social networking thing. I can use one or more of the fine providers familiar to all of us here in the forum, get way more features, better service & support and still only spend pennies a month. The GV product has been wondering along with no apparent direction for years. We all wait for the blog post in December to tell us whether the service will be free the next year. Thats all the communication we heard out of Google on this product for the last few years. Its a cool product and its a shame that Google hasn't given it the attention it deserves. Now there seems to be some activity with the switch to Hangouts and dropping support for the XMPP protocol, so maybe they have a plan they're getting ready to execute?

I think if it's working for 'you' then stick with it. I don't think there will be a mass exit next month. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? If you're nervous about any of this then you should bail now. If the service is that important to you, then you should probably be using a better service anyway.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to RonR

to RonR
said by RonR:

Your problem may be related to receiving calls in general from your Callcentric DID using Asterisk.

This maybe true. In any case, IPKall works pretty well right now so I will stick with it. The problem is that they will remove the number if there no activity of a month, but it is not a big issue. CC actually also has similar 3 month policy. In any case, I will try CC again if necessary.
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

The problem is that they will remove the number if there no activity of a month, but it is not a big issue.

They just want to see one or more answered calls in a 30 day period. Just call it and answer and you're good for another 30 days.

»forum.voxilla.com/thread ··· st-29250

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Oh no, I would not really complain about it, like you said,I accepted it freely and as much as I had some concerns from the very beginning on my cheap side prevailed. But all together, the benefits were in my case rather meager and with the increasing issues I am not overly depressed by letting it go.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

Yes and this is a known issue and I also have encountered this problem long time ago.

I just registered another CC free DID and tested again. I can duplicate the problem if I hang up right after the callback is connected and do another such call. It will happen if I repeat this a few times. Once it happens, the callback does not occur if I make more calls. I have to wait for some time before this callback approach works again. This may not be a very likely scenario in real life but it does not happen if I use IPKall. Well, I guess I will still stay away from using CC for GV callback right now.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

said by mazilo:

Yes and this is a known issue and I also have encountered this problem long time ago.

I just registered another CC free DID and tested again. I can duplicate the problem if I hang up right after the callback is connected and do another such call. It will happen if I repeat this a few times. Once it happens, the callback does not occur if I make more calls. I have to wait for some time before this callback approach works again. This may not be a very likely scenario in real life but it does not happen if I use IPKall. Well, I guess I will still stay away from using CC for GV callback right now.

I don't know if this problem will remain when a GV account gets switched to a GH+ account.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Or even it will work at all .
curro
join:2003-10-24
Seabrook, TX

curro to mdseuss

to mdseuss
I would appreciate some examples of these Obi approved packages just to compare with services such as Future Nine and the like.
said by mdseuss:

I'm telling folks to leave their number at GV for now and use one of the Obi approved packages as long as they support spoofing the original GV number.

~300 or unlimited minutes, 911 and fax support for less than $5/month? A no brainer

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

rchandra to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
Just FYI, if I'm not mistaken, she is Kiki Kuchin.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

Just FYI, if I'm not mistaken, she is Kiki Kuchin.

I certainly don't mind to wake up in the morning with such a pleasant voice next to my ears while still laying on my bed.
mrdialup
join:2013-11-17

mrdialup

said by mazilo:

I certainly don't mind to wake up in the morning with such a pleasant voice next to my ears while still laying on my bed.

God blesses some of us and God curses some of us. That's been my experience. Guess which end (of the couch) I'm on.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by mrdialup:

said by mazilo:

God blesses some of us and God curses some of us. That's been my experience. Guess which end (of the couch) I'm on.

Only you will know.